General The Board & Senior Management

Well that piece by Tim comes across as a tick boxing exercise just to shut up us fans who are starting to ask difficult questions.

Good luck to Chrissy Hackett on his new role. I have no objection to hold interviews to then decide the best person for the job is in the building, why it took 2 months though is a bit mind boggling.

Social media is a dangerous thing, all businesses know that.

It's a crying shame that it takes that sort of action to get answers. As much as I could criticise or point fingers at supporters group(s) for not asking questions, in their defence, they need people at Oxford United to have meetings with them. Something they are finding very difficult.................

I completely share everyone’s concerns about the process and what’s really gone on behind the scenes in terms of getting a new coach in, but if a new coach had been appointed who came from the IPL or New Zealand for example, then there would be an outcry on here about not appointing anyone with EFL experience or we might as well have recruited from within?

Unless we get told by any ITK’s who we were after externally and why we didn’t appoint them, then we really don’t know what has gone on. The slightly strange thing is why Craig Short wouldn’t be made the assistant and Chris Hackett then stepping up to his role? Also never hear much about Steve Kinniburgh these days who I thought was the academy manager?
The issue isn't the appointment though? Frankly if we'd taken someone from the Indian league, the outcry would have been prejudiced nonsense based on very little. The outcry this morning isn't that, is valid about the way we are being treated by those in charge at the club and their incompetence to conduct an important recruitment process.

Crap update. We were definitely after an outside appointment for the assistant role but were unable to get it over the line. If we were "showing ambition" then we could have but we messed them around. The board know it as well, hence why the news about Hackett is buried halfway down that update, they know it's not good enough and are hoping people won't notice. It's also pretty disrespectful to Hackett himself, an outside appointment would have had it's own news story. Good luck to Chris and like all fans I hope it works out but if it does it's through luck not judgement.

Feel desperately sorry for Des. He came in at a busy time in a tough run of fixtures as well as an ever worsening injury crisis. We could have had a few more points and there are things he can do better but he looks absolutely knackered and he's had the rug pulled from under him by the board pissing about getting him some help, not just with the assistant either. This is a crucial time for the club and we're being hamstrung by those running it.

Quite.

As much as I’m sure we all wish Chris Hackett well and congratulate him on his new appointment. It’s clear to anyone who has followed this saga that Hackett was not first choice, and not second choice.

The deliberate burying of Hackett’s appointment in Tim William’s puff piece is disrespectful to Hackett, and supporters alike.
The more I think about it, the more I believe Williams shouldn't have even bothered at all with this bunch of flam that he put out today.

The official announcement today should have been that Chris Hackett has been announced the assistant manager, against strong interest from other candidates and following a rigorous interview process. With some puff from Williams as him being the best for the job, a look back at his time at OUFC and elsewhere as a player and coach. You know, show the guy a little respect!

At the end, "we're also excited to have several new players in the pipeline and are committed to our recruitment strategy".

Nothing else. At all. No information on the stadium, that's for a separate press release that doesn't mince around and take us fans (sorry, customers) for mugs.

And the business side with "fan activations"? Put it in your programme notes or shareholders report. Literally nobody gives a f*ck!

Playing devil’s advocate for a moment:

You could argue, with the exception of Manning leaving and the injuries/recalls (which were no-one’s ‘fault’), that they done exactly that so far. We ARE fifth in the league, our squad IS very different from the end of last season, the new stadium IS moving forward and we ARE making strides financially (allegedly).

Under promise and over deliver - that’s what retail customers want…

With the comment
”Retail delivered their best ever month in December” it shows that Mr Williams is all about the money and has absolutely no empathy with your average day to day OUFC supporter.

They couldn’t give a f**k about that.

What they want to know is that the future of our club is secure and for that to happen we need the stadium built. I’m sure most supporters would take mid table mediocrity this season if they knew we were moving to the new stadium.

Once that is underway we can then look more closely at what we need to get to the next level.

But let’s be clear no new stadium no club

Social media is a dangerous thing, all businesses know that.

It's a crying shame that it takes that sort of action to get answers. As much as I could criticise or point fingers at supporters group(s) for not asking questions, in their defence, they need people at Oxford United to have meetings with them. Something they are finding very difficult.................
Why are they finding it difficult though? Where‘s the blockage? It’s easy to criticise the club on an internet forum and sit back and do nothing about it, as many are in this thread, but are you seriously telling me that there is no dialogue between any of our supporters groups and the club? Can’t be right.

With the comment
”Retail delivered their best ever month in December” it shows that Mr Williams is all about the money and has absolutely no empathy with your average day to day OUFC supporter.

They couldn’t give a f**k about that.

What they want to know is that the future of our club is secure and for that to happen we need the stadium built. I’m sure most supporters would take mid table mediocrity this season if they knew we were moving to the new stadium.

Once that is underway we can then look more closely at what we need to get to the next level.

But let’s be clear no new stadium no club
I am actually taking on board yours and others questions/thoughts about the current situation and you and others have made some fair points that I had not necessarily thought about. However, in terms of it being all about the money, well given the losses this club reports, I think being concerned about the revenue side of things is exactly one of the things that I would want the board to be concerned about.

Why are they finding it difficult though? Where‘s the blockage? It’s easy to criticise the club on an internet forum and sit back and do nothing about it, as many are in this thread, but are you seriously telling me that there is no dialogue between any of our supporters groups and the club? Can’t be right.
Maybe @OxVox could answer that one.

I am actually taking on board yours and others questions/thoughts about the current situation and you and others have made some fair points that I had not necessarily thought about. However, in terms of it being all about the money, well given the losses this club reports, I think being concerned about the revenue side of things is exactly one of the things that I would want the board to be concerned about.
Quite agree about tat @Followtheox and we should be making as much money as we can.
Its the term used that bothers me “Retail delivered”

I would have put something like ” It’s fantastic to see 10k plus crowds to support the lads, let’s hope for a few more in the new year,the club shop has certainly benefited ,in fact we had our best month ever”

He sounds exactly what he is, an accountant,and whilst I agree that we need every penny we can muster, we need someone with more charisma and who is in tune with the fans

Fair enough but also highlights the problem. Its Oxford fans asking the big questions about the fundamentals and future of our club. It's our CEO choosing to ignore all that and use his first communication to fans in months to highlight things like the monthly results of an annual income stream dwarfed by the salary of one midfielder. By all account Tim is a decent bloke but leadership this isn't.

Quite agree about tat @Followtheox and we should be making as much money as we can.
Its the term used that bothers me “Retail delivered”

I would have put something like ” It’s fantastic to see 10k plus crowds to support the lads, let’s hope for a few more in the new year,the club shop has certainly benefited ,in fact we had our best month ever”

He sounds exactly what he is, an accountant,and whilst I agree that we need every penny we can muster, we need someone with more charisma and who is in tune with the fans

Oi!

The official announcement today should have been that Chris Hackett has been announced the assistant manager, against strong interest from other candidates and following a rigorous interview process. With some puff from Williams as him being the best for the job, a look back at his time at OUFC and elsewhere as a player and coach. You know, show the guy a little respect!
I think maybe the Hackett appointment was buried because it's temporary, they failed to get any of their candidates over the line, and to avoid further questions and embarrassment they figured they'd tell us it's all over.

I suspect Hacket was told he will have the job until the end of the season and they will review from there.

Let’s face it whatever Tim said and in whatever way it was phrased it would have huge holes picked in it. Likewise if he didn’t say certain things it would be deemed wrong and questioned. If he gave certain assurances people would still challenge it and say that’s not the real truth whether that’s through Oxvox or other direct communications.

Tim, Grant, the board etc… are only ever going to tell us what they want us to know and hear and in a way they want to tell it. Does it make it right, well do any of us in our day to day lives not tell people things if we want to hold information back for certain reasons whether it be in business, at work, or in personal life?

Unfortunately no matter how much we trust or don’t trust what we’re told, no matter how much we speculate, shout, argue the case etc… we are only ever going to be publicly told what the club are happy and prepared for us to know.

I don't know whether to be grateful TW has made a statement, or annoyed because the statement seems like half-baked dross.

Back
Top Bottom