Chairman Takeover now Old Car Chat

Play-offs are a lottery. Semantics Long-John.........we're miles off from a promotion winning side but somehow, like Wycombe, we could do it.
Proper full back cover, both sides (in the squad instead of Winnall and Grayson).
Could also have done with an experienced CB when Mous got crocked.
Clare in the squad (in place of Hall... Still can't work out why on earth he was given another contract) when he was showing he could be decent played further forward.
Playing Agyei more often, and not just 20 minutes (instead of Winnall).

Doing that and we would have been a much better team and squad. None of that was hindsight (apart maybe from not knowing how bad Grayson would be) as all of it was talked about on here.

It was all there within KR's grasp, and not a million miles off, but he went down a different route.

Proper full back cover, both sides (in the squad instead of Winnall and Grayson).
Clare in the squad (in place of Hall... Still can't work out why on earth he was given another contract) when he was showing he could be decent played further forward.

Doing that and we would have been a much better team and squad. None of that was hindsight (apart maybe from not knowing how bad Grayson would be) as all of it was talked about on here.

It was all there within KR's grasp, and not a million miles off, but he went down a different route.
As he, no doubt, will again. It's his nature, proven time and time again.

Play-offs are a lottery. Semantics Long-John.........we're miles off from a promotion winning side but somehow, like Wycombe, we could do it.
I am confused!
Wycombe were miles off being a Promotion winning side but were... promoted.
We have been pretty close for 2 seasons in a row and have unarguably been in the Top 6 trams in the Division 2 seasons in a row.
All of the play off teams have been a long way off going up automatically.

What I'm worried about is how poor we've been against the top 10 or so teams. Only beaten Lincoln and Gillingham I think.

• React
Reactions: m
I am confused!
Wycombe were miles off being a Promotion winning side but were... promoted.
We have been pretty close for 2 seasons in a row and have unarguably been in the Top 6 trams in the Division 2 seasons in a row.
All of the play off teams have been a long way off going up automatically.

I am very happy with what we've done this season. We finished in the top 6 this season, getting in on the last day. I am not taking anything away from our stupendous run of form since December. Last year, we got into the play-offs under different criteria. We haven't challenged the top 2-3 for a long time and that's fine - but is sort of the point I was trying to make (not very well). In both seasons, we haven't competed very well against any of the other top sides (that's factual).

We are currently a very good mid-table side who can challenge for the last few play-off spots. Should we remain in League One and I still think we can do something tomorrow night, then we need to strengthen. My worry has and continues to be, that whilst we have a great 11-12 players, we seem to have about 16 of this squad contracted and that leaves very little maneuver to strengthen and/or bring in quality players to challenge amongst the top 2-3 sides in this division.

The club need to brave this summer. They need to make some tough decisions in my opinion, to enable them the flexibility to bring in better players.

We are not miles off. Last season when the season finished we were in third and got to to the playoff final and just lost out. This year we finished 7th and are in the playoffs again. Two seasons in a row we have been in the mix for promotion. That is not miles off.
We’re miles off in terms of this tie, but worthy playoff contenders. We just don’t know how to play against the twin ranks of Blackpool storm troopers.

As he, no doubt, will again. It's his nature, proven time and time again.
Yet that’s not what has stopped us getting promoted. We aren’t able to deal with the way Blackpool set up. I’d have backed us against the other two teams over two legs and in the final.

We are not miles off. Last season when the season finished we were in third and got to to the playoff final and just lost out. This year we finished 7th and are in the playoffs again. Two seasons in a row we have been in the mix for promotion. That is not miles off.
We probably are from an automatic promotion position which is what we should be aiming for e.g. not just scrapping into the play offs.

Looking at Hull, Peterborough and Blackpool we are definitely behind them in terms of having an organised, strong, fit (non injury prone), athletic team, I’d say 7-10 players off.

We probably are from an automatic promotion position which is what we should be aiming for e.g. not just scrapping into the play offs.

Looking at Hull, Peterborough and Blackpool we are definitely behind them in terms of having an organised, strong, fit (non injury prone), athletic team, I’d say 7-10 players off.
To get auto promotion we would have needed four more wins and a couple of draws - that’s a lot more even given our bad start. We’re skilful rather than strong, but I agree we need to be more organised and consistent , with more strength in depth. I wonder how our back room staff compare? We seem to be a bit of a one man band, I bet the likes of Sunderland have loads more coaching resources.

What I'm worried about is how poor we've been against the top 10 or so teams. Only beaten Lincoln and Gillingham I think.

Our record against the top 9 teams, middle 6 and bottom 9 teams was:-
Top 9 - W1 D7 L8
Middle 6 - W6 D 1 L 5
Bottom 9 - W15 D0 L 3
The team we beat in the top 9 was Lincoln at home, when they were without half their first team due to injuries & suspensions.

The team we beat in the top 9 was Lincoln at home, when they were without half their first team due to injuries & suspensions.

Not digging you out directly, but it's interesting that when we have injuries and suspensions we are told that it's not an excuse because it happens to everyone. However, when we beat someone it's because they had players out!

If we look at the first Lincoln game, we had lost Gorrin before and Ruffels during that game. And yet from my memory the game was actually fairly tight but us making mistakes in both boxes that Lincoln capitalised on. The home game Lincoln started with 8 of those that started their previous game and with a week between games. We had less than 3 days rest. We won with a little to spare but it wasn't the gimme that you suggest.

Last edited:
I am very happy with what we've done this season. We finished in the top 6 this season, getting in on the last day. I am not taking anything away from our stupendous run of form since December. Last year, we got into the play-offs under different criteria. We haven't challenged the top 2-3 for a long time and that's fine - but is sort of the point I was trying to make (not very well). In both seasons, we haven't competed very well against any of the other top sides (that's factual).
Except it's not.

Our record last season against the three sides that got promoted was P4 W2 D1 L1. We also beat a Posh side which would certainly have challenged the autos 2/3 times and drew three times with Pompey (twice at Fratton). I'm not sure by what metric that's 'not competing very well against any other top sides'.

Agree that this season, bar the odd result, we've been held at arm's length a bit by some of the top sides.

Sorry stupid question but is the game in ifollow tonight as would prefer to pay for that than watch on sky, if so could someone post a link, many thanks

Sorry stupid question but is the game in ifollow tonight as would prefer to pay for that than watch on sky, if so could someone post a link, many thanks

Only in audio on ifollow.
Should be streamed at www. hesgoal. com ..... first leg was.

I don't get why people are so hung up on who we do or don't beat

We got 74pts enough to give us a chance of promotion

let's say we beat those top 2 sides and dropped points to those below us it's the same outcome and people would then say losing/ dropping pts to x y z cost us
it's a League so it's what happens over the course of the season.

Small point but isn’t this thread about the takeover?
Last couple of pages have been about our squad and the playoffs
For what it’s worth, we all got carried away with our run of form and scraping in on the last day
If Portsmouth had won we would be saying with a few more additions we can win this next year
Blackpool have shown us we are a long way off

Back
Top Bottom