Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't say we're a big club, but we are bigger than Rotherham (although the queue of supporters lining up to vehemently deny it does somewhat illustrate my point re: fans expectations).

Wasn't meaning to be part of any vehement denial, nor was I illustrating your point; I have lofty expectations. I merely disagreed that we are (in the present moment) a bigger club than Rotherham, but certainly believe have the potential to be. And it seems we agree...

Give us just one promotion and a proper stadium and see what happens.

Particularly if it’s a half-and-half scarf with Inverness Caledonian Thistle F.C.

“Super Caley Go Ballistic, Clwb Pêl Droed Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch Are Atrocious”

That would be the proverbial wrapped in cotton wool for a kid to wear one.

• React
Reactions: MJB
What if Harris picks up an injury or suspension, we are then down to Perkins and O'Donkor both unproven to score goals at this level?

I would say we should go for Longman on a permanent who can come in and cover Browne now but also swap with Harris, Perkins and O'Donkor when needed. But this Marriott bid rumour must have some truth to it.
Yep, but this is the beauty of not hanging all your goal-scoring hopes on the striker. To me, it's a far greater worry if the game plan is all geared towards one player tucking them away and then they're missing/lose confidence/get bought. In that scenario you're more reliant on the goal scoring ability of your other options. But in our team the role of the striker seems to be a lot more than goals and as long as it's done effectively, they or somebody else will find the space to score goals. Harris was no goal scorer before he got here, but now one in two. 4 players have registered so far and Rodrigues, Bodin, Browne among others are all yet to notch but we know will contribute. I'm not worried.

I agree with you on Longman, that would be my pick from the rumours currently circling. A goal threat from the left is something we don't have.

Last edited:
I didn't say we're a big club, but we are bigger than Rotherham (although the queue of supporters lining up to vehemently deny it does somewhat illustrate my point re: fans expectations).

Clubs fluctuate in their position in the League. Some get new grounds. Some get cash injections via despot regimes or local philanthropists. Whilst these things may have an effect over time (if sustained), personally I look at longer-term trends, historic support and what happens when the chips are down.

If you put every club in the land in the same scenario (let's say, mid-table L1, with a ground/access facilities such as ours but with unlimited capacity) how would they all fare relatively?

Do you think Rotherham would get higher gates than ours? Conversely if we were in The Championship with an impressive city/town centre ground would we be scraping 10k like Rotherham?

Rotherham, Wigan, Reading, Bournemouth etc have all, to varying extents, enjoyed years of favourable conditions that have elevated their standing in the game. And whilst it has given them some (short-term) appeal, it hasn't changed the ultimate fabric of the football club.

Give each of them a relegation or two and see what happens.

Give us just one promotion and a proper stadium and see what happens.
I suppose you're right, if all of the material circumstances were different I suppose we would be the bigger club. That settles it

I think we need to collectively get over this fear of youth and inexperience, especially when talking about loan signings from current or recent Premier League clubs.

Harris, Perkins and O’Donkor are our strikers, we won’t be signing Marriott.

We also have a range of attacking players who are fluid in their positions, which I really want to stress is much different than playing Forde as a CM and Hanson at RB for example.
Don’t knock Forde. Damn good player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom