Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't read the last n pages, but looking at Marriott's record in recent seasons, he's not as prolific a scorer, or even as regular a starter, as you might expect given the sort of fee that's being mooted. But what do I know? (Answer: absolutely nothing!)

Off topic, but if mods will excuse me giving it a quick mention on this thread given that more folk may see it, the voting on the OxVox Supporter of the Year award is open for a day or two more to allow more fans to vote.

To vote visit this page: https://s.surveyplanet.com/lp161f39

Cheers - a decent read.

I’ve no doubt he’ll get more minutes here than at Leeds, but just wondering where the message around him having guaranteed minutes has come from (if anywhere).
It's up to the lad himself to earn the minutes, I'd be very annoyed (maybe even raising up to 'completely miffed') if the club were entering into deals where they guarantee minutes. I believe that loan deals sometimes have a sliding scale on how much percentage of wages the parent club will pay, the more they play the more gets picked up - would be interesting to know how our loan deals are structured.

Off topic, but if mods will excuse me giving it a quick mention on this thread given that more folk may see it, the voting on the OxVox Supporter of the Year award is open for a day or two more to allow more fans to vote.

I think I'm the last person who can complain about threads getting diverted, so you are safe with that 😁

It's up to the lad himself to earn the minutes, I'd be very annoyed (maybe even raising up to 'completely miffed') if the club were entering into deals where they guarantee minutes. I believe that loan deals sometimes have a sliding scale on how much percentage of wages the parent club will pay, the more they play the more gets picked up - would be interesting to know how our loan deals are structured.
It would be very interesting but extremely unlikely under Williams given that we don’t even learn length of contracts when transfers happen. Not that I think that our withholding of information is necessarily a bad thing.

He’s a wiry type that drops in a bit more than Harris who plays on the shoulder - it’s like comparing Harry Kane to Jamie Vardy in style. To be doing that at 19 requires immense intelligence and if you’re still scoring goals playing that way, you could be special.

Perkins could turn out to be a dogs dinner of a signing - any of them could. It just shocks me slightly that we’re still harping on about Marriott who I think would be the most polarising, high-risk signing of the window, not to mention the most expensive, when we have someone far more desirable in the door for a season already.

It was a genuine question - perhaps someone can tell me why Marriott still appears such an attractive option. I just don’t think there’s anything to be gained by signing him now, if indeed we’re even trying.
Foxes in their boxes without the ability to influence the wider game are becoming redundant. Indeed, you could argue that a player whose sole skill is to score in the 6 yard box in a team of fluid multitalented young players who can accomplish that and contribute to play across the pitch, is more likely to be a hindrance than a help.

Foxes in their boxes without the ability to influence the wider game are becoming redundant. Indeed, you could argue that a player whose sole skill is to score in the 6 yard box in a team of fluid multitalented young players who can accomplish that and contribute to play across the pitch, is more likely to be a hindrance than a help.
A Jimmy Greaves type of player. Is that the sort of striker you are talking about.

Last edited:
I haven't seen us flash the ball across the 6 yard box or 'in to an area' much so far this season, either. Most of our forward play is more calculated and precise. You could argue we may do that more if we knew someone in the team could smell blood and get on the end of them but somehow I think Manning prefers patience, accuracy.

Call me crazy but I don't think Manning is looking for a sure bet 20+ goal striker. We may have one, but I think the first job of our striker is the press and to pull defenders around in to positions that create space. Harris and Perkins both do this but do it differently and use different spaces - interesting. If they do their job effectively, we should end up with goals from all over the pitch.

I personally find it much more satisfying to have 3 or 4 players that achieve double figures than one on 25/30 and the rest on bobbins. It also means if you lose one, your whole game plan doesn't go with them.

Anyone featuring should not be loaded out as clearly we need them eg GOD.
I'd be happy to see Henry and Murphy sold or loaned though. Think we need a new number 2 GK in.

I haven't read the last n pages, but looking at Marriott's record in recent seasons, he's not as prolific a scorer, or even as regular a starter, as you might expect given the sort of fee that's being mooted. But what do I know? (Answer: absolutely nothing!)

I'm clearing a space on my shelf....

Off to Barnsley

You spelt Rotherham wrong.

As an aside, it's a strange move for Nombe himself (and at a pivotal point in his career) - joining a small club who've managed just 8 League wins in 40 outings under their current manager (scoring just 42 goals in that time).

Real risk that he'll struggle for goalscoring chances there, become anonymous in a relegated team and lose stock as a result.

I could understand The Championship if it were Stoke or Bristol City (bigger club, likely to still be there in a year - if you score a few goals even in mid-table then the top Championship clubs will almost certainly come knocking).

Or, dare I say, even a progressive L1 club playing good football with a fluid attacking shape that would suit him perfectly, give him goals and assists and a very decent chance of a promotion this season and a better crack at The Championship next year.

Of course it may be that Rotherham were the only club at any level to meet Exeter's valuation - and what this does show is the massive financial clout that promotion to The Championship gets you.

We're already a bigger club than Rotherham - so imagine what sort of business we could be doing this time next year...

Difficult vote, all worthy winners

Perkins could well be quality, but I think the reason we brought him in was cover for the entire front 4. He's good on the ball and knowing we need to rotate he will get plenty of minutes this season. At minimum off the bench but he has the opportunity to become a starter with good performances.

Still see some using the Perkins signing to question why we're looking still looking for an experienced striker, which really surprises me. Any injury or suspension to Harris currently has us relying on an 18 year old and 19 year old who haven't played 40 mens games between them. I thought we were done with the Robinson days of misbalanced recruitment and leaving too much pressure on young lads coming into mens football for the first time?!

Thankfully we're still pushing for some more experience up top, whether that be Marriott or someone else. It will allow to rotate and stay fresh throughout the season, whilst allowing the younger lads to settle in without immense pressure on their shoulders.

Perkins could well be quality, but I think the reason we brought him in was cover for the entire front 4. He's good on the ball and knowing we need to rotate he will get plenty of minutes this season. At minimum off the bench but he has the opportunity to become a starter with good performances.

Still see some using the Perkins signing to question why we're looking still looking for an experienced striker, which really surprises me. Any injury or suspension to Harris currently has us relying on an 18 year old and 19 year old who haven't played 40 mens games between them. I thought we were done with the Robinson days of misbalanced recruitment and leaving too much pressure on young lads coming into mens football for the first time?!

Thankfully we're still pushing for some more experience up top, whether that be Marriott or someone else. It will allow to rotate and stay fresh throughout the season, whilst allowing the younger lads to settle in without immense pressure on their shoulders.
I think we need to collectively get over this fear of youth and inexperience, especially when talking about loan signings from current or recent Premier League clubs.

Harris, Perkins and O’Donkor are our strikers, we won’t be signing Marriott.

We also have a range of attacking players who are fluid in their positions, which I really want to stress is much different than playing Forde as a CM and Hanson at RB for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom