Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't recognise those lyrics. Which song?;)

Itchycoo Park apparently based on South Park (in Oxford, not the cartoon)
The lyrics mention 'dreaming spires'. I thought the song was inspired by Marriott looking through an Oxford tourist brochure. Itchycoo Park was somewhere he went as a kid, a park with loads of stinging nettles around it (hence Itchycoo). Both of those last points may be urban legend of course, but they are what I've believed for ages.

Don't recognise those lyrics. Which song?;)

Itchycoo Park apparently based on South Park (in Oxford, not the cartoon)
opening lyrics 'Over Bridge of Sighs ...' Oxford connection I reckon - mayve been referring to University Parks area / footprint ( Mesopotamia - spelling? - that joins Marston rd- close to South Park/ Headington Hill Park- to University Parks )

Though also the park Marriott played in as a kid full of nettles Ive heard was part inspiration for the title

John Hellier Small Faces/ Faces/ Humble Pie / Packet of Three expert / authority etc told me several times some of the lyrics in Itchycoo Park had an Oxford connection

opening lyrics 'Over Bridge of Sighs ...' Oxford connection I reckon - mayve been referring to University Parks area / footprint ( Mesopotamia - spelling? - that joins Marston rd- close to South Park/ Headington Hill Park- to University Parks )

Though also the park Marriott played in as a kid full of nettles Ive heard was part inspiration for the title

John Hellier Small Faces/ Faces/ Humble Pie / Packet of Three expert / authority etc told me several times some of the lyrics in Itchycoo Park had an Oxford connection
There's a good article here with the various origin stories covered. That page also has a video of the band miming the song but looking at their absolute gorgeous peak. https://www.songfacts.com/facts/small-faces/itchycoo-park

There's a good article here with the various origin stories covered. That page also has a video of the band miming the song but looking at their absolute gorgeous peak. https://www.songfacts.com/facts/small-faces/itchycoo-park
Thanks for that link. There is a part in there that sort of ties in with what I thought...

1692971730892.png

As is always the case with things like this, there are multiple accounts of what inspired it. Great track though, the phasing effect on the guitar is fab.

i always thought an itchy coo was the berries on rambling roses that made you itch like feck if put down someones shirt lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom