Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who’s ST?

I find it really annoying when people use initials, assuming we all know who they mean.

Is it too much trouble to spend an extra couple of seconds typing out their full name?
Sorry @Colin B I will try harder next time I did in fact mean Scott Twine

I think £750k would probably get the deal done plus a few little sweeteners too, if we get promoted. I’d go all out, he’s about as certain a 20 goal a season striker at this level that you are going to get & he’s physical and can be a target man. Exactly what we need

£750k plus Murphy great little deal that.

A club might make an offer to loan him for his final year for a substantial loan fee and 100% of his wages (circa 6k per week). Say, £500,000 with a possible additional payment if said club is promoted at the end of the season. We paid £250,000 in loan fees for Herbie Kane two years ago, so we already have form for a deal of that nature.

Clarke-Harris will be 30 next summer, so there’s virtually no resale value and very little if any recoup on whatever fee you pay to bring him in. Plus with a loan you at least only pay him what he’s currently on for one year, so there are no negotiations on salary (and therefore no bidding war on that front) and you’re not committed to a 3-year contract on big money for a player who will spend the majority of that contract in his thirties.

Meanwhile, Peterborough get their highest earner off the wage bill in full and pocket a significant fee for a player who is going to walk for free unless a deal is done in the next fortnight, and the player gets games rather than risking being frozen out for a season and limiting his options next summer.

There’s a pathway to a deal.
I'm not sure anyone in League One is going to stump up half a million to have a player for a year, nor are Peterborough going to let him go for cheaper than what they may achieve as a transfer fee.

If they really do need to balance the books and are going to let him walk, then I imagine it will be a Derby or Bristol Rovers, or whoever Peterborough think will pose the weakest promotion challenge. I actually think he's more likely to stay. It's a weaker league this year and Posh will fancy their chances. If JCH is really only going to be worth £800,000 to them (fee and wage), then they'll probably take the gamble. They've plenty of other saleable assets.

MacAnthony will probably try and string clubs along so they don't have much opportunity to strengthen/lose out on other targets, then it'll be announced they're not selling after all. It worked with KR, who fell for it every time.

Last edited:
Negru, McGuane and Brown all need to be sat down to talk about new deals as you’d want all 3 of them in the ranks regardless of our division next season and losing the latter two for free would be nasty for us. That’s my view.
Regardless of division - are you sure? Negru looks a promising player, but whether he is Championship potential is too early to tell. Brown simply isn’t. He is a good L1 squad player, hard working, and versatile, but this is his level. Not sure about McGuane, some days world class, other days far too sideward.

Regardless of division - are you sure? Negru looks a promising player, but whether he is Championship potential is too early to tell. Brown simply isn’t. He is a good L1 squad player, hard working, and versatile, but this is his level. Not sure about McGuane, some days world class, other days far too sideward.
Yep, absolutely certain. Negru has bags of potential, I’m not suggesting he’s championship ready but I’ve seen enough to think he will be whether he keeps his spot this year or not. If we go up and that comes a bit too soon for him, then he can go out on loan. I’d still be looking to secure his long term future before it’s taken away from us - it’s a lesson we need to learn. I’ve never been convinced by Thorniley and it’ll be interesting to see if he gets his spot back - I don’t see how he can.

Brown is a L1 player through and through. I still think we are yet to see him in his best position but you’d definitely want him here in L1 next season and if we went up, he’s felt that level before and his versatility will be invaluable.

McGuane has always been a player I like more than the average fan. In terms of natural ability I think he’s one of the best we’ve had here in a good while. I think over the course of this season we will find his best role and see his best form. We don’t want to be in a situation where it all clicks with 6 months left on his contract. We also know he isn’t afraid to go abroad so his future could be decided in January and we lose a saleable asset just as it all falls in to place. He could play in the championship no problem.

I think all of them need at least an additional year agreed by Christmas, even if McGaune insists on some sort of break clause if ‘X’ happens. I said the same with Sykes and look how that worked out.

I'm not sure anyone in League One is going to stump up half a million to have a player for a year, nor are Peterborough going to let him go for cheaper than what they may achieve as a transfer fee.

If they really do need to balance the books and are going to let him walk, then I imagine it will be a Derby or Bristol Rovers, or whoever Peterborough think will pose the weakest promotion challenge. I actually think he's more likely to stay. It's a weaker league this year and Posh will fancy their chances. If JCH is really only going to be worth £800,000 to them (fee and wage), then they'll probably take the gamble. They've plenty of other saleable assets.

MacAnthony will probably try and string clubs along so they don't have much opportunity to strengthen/lose out on other targets, then it'll be announced they're not selling after all. It worked with KR, who fell for it every time.

Herbie Kaaane 🎶

He’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay for him. Peterborough just want a bag of money and for his wage to disappear from their payroll. Biggest fee wins.

We paid nearly £500,000 in loan fees and wage contributions to have Herbie Kane pottering around in defensive midfield for one season. £250,000 in fees and the same again covering his wage. We currently pay Cameron Brannagan £600,000 per year to do the same thing. We spent £500,000 on fees and wages to have Stuart Findlay last season alone, ditto Josh Murphy between his salary and signing fee, and Yanic cost us £400,000 in fees and wages last season, plus whatever else we just paid him to leave, which probably takes the cost of his one year disaster to another half a million. Why wouldn’t we pay £750,000 to have arguably the best striker in the division for a season?

I’m not saying I think it’s likely, but if nobody is willing to pay a million quid to sign him permanently (I think Bristol Rovers might, but currently nobody is) then Peterborough are going to have to decide whether to pay him £250,000 in outstanding wages to leave for nothing next summer, or save that £250,000 as well as putting several hundred thousand more in their bank account by the end of the month.

He’s worth whatever someone is willing to pay for him. Peterborough just want a bag of money and for his wage to disappear from their payroll. Biggest fee wins.

We paid nearly £500,000 in loan fees and wage contributions to have Herbie Kane pottering around in defensive midfield for one season. £250,000 in fees and the same again covering his wage. We currently pay Cameron Brannagan £600,000 per year to do the same thing. We spent £500,000 on fees and wages to have Stuart Findlay last season alone, ditto Josh Murphy between his salary and signing fee, and Yanic cost us £400,000 in fees and wages last season, plus whatever else we just paid him to leave, which probably takes the cost of his one year disaster to another half a million. Why wouldn’t we pay £750,000 to have arguably the best striker in the division for a season?

I’m not saying I think it’s likely, but if nobody is willing to pay a million quid to sign him permanently (I think Bristol Rovers might, but currently nobody is) then Peterborough are going to have to decide whether to pay him £250,000 in outstanding wages to leave for nothing next summer, or save that £250,000 as well as putting several hundred thousand more in their bank account by the end of the month.

I just don't think that if they are going to sell him, then a £500k loan deal would do it, it's more likely someone pays $750k for his full services, which would be preferable to Peterborough and JCH.

I like the thinking behind the loan deal, I just don't seeing it being something we or any team is currently likely to offer, nor something Peterborough would accept, as it's likely there'll be greater offers for a permanent deal before the window shuts.

I just don't think that if they are going to sell him, then a £500k loan deal would do it, it's more likely someone pays $750k for his full services, which would be preferable to Peterborough and JCH.

I like the thinking behind the loan deal, I just don't seeing it being something we or any team is currently likely to offer, nor something Peterborough would accept, as it's likely there'll be greater offers for a permanent deal before the window shuts.
Of course, but it’s all about the fee. Peterborough want money in their pockets and his wage gone. A loan deal and a permanent deal offer exactly the same thing to them.

Will be interesting to see if anybody stumps up the cash they want. I think the difference this time is that people know Peterborough are in a bit of trouble financially. MacAnthony likes to play the big one but this time everybody knows it’s different.

MacAnthony doesn’t strike me as the sort of person who would willingly sell to a league 1 rival.

But if Peterborough are in a bit of financial trouble and he is looking to get out, then his view could change.

A deal might happen but I don’t see OUFC breaking the bank to get it done, and I would certainly move on sharpish to another target rather than play any waiting game with MacAnthony.

According to Mcanthony, 2 clubs in league 1 are after Clarke Harris, I’d be very surprised if we are not one of them. I’d also be very surprised if we can give him the price he wants to sell but what a signing that would be if we could pull it off.
611PFZIL8CL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Of course, but it’s all about the fee. Peterborough want money in their pockets and his wage gone. A loan deal and a permanent deal offer exactly the same thing to them.

Will be interesting to see if anybody stumps up the cash they want. I think the difference this time is that people know Peterborough are in a bit of trouble financially. MacAnthony likes to play the big one but this time everybody knows it’s different.
Just trying to get my head around this !
If between 250K and 500K loan deal (clearly the higher the better for Posh) could possibly secure him. Why wouldn't you get him for 500K straight Signing on a short 1-2 year deal that's the same or slightly better for Posh isn't it ?

Also why would Bristol be able to pay 1M plus a good salary all of a sudden! Didn't think their new owner was in that sort of league ?

If between 250K and 500K loan deal (clearly the higher the better for Posh) could possibly secure him. Why wouldn't you get him for 500K straight Signing on a short 1-2 year deal that's the same or slightly better for Posh isn't it ?
The only potential advantage to a club looking for a loan is that they aren’t committed to keeping the player for multiple years on a high wage while he’s in his thirties. If you loan him and he gets you up, he was worth every penny. If he doesn’t, you can cut your losses and walk away without being lumbered with his wages for another year or two. It’s a risk and potentially a very expensive one, but it does happen. We paid £250,000 in wages plus a six-figure loan fee for Joseph just last season. Kane cost us half a million for a season the year before. I’m not saying I would do it, I’m saying it does happen.

As far as Peterborough are concerned the fee is the fee and he’s off their wage bill forever regardless, because his contract expires next summer. It’s no skin off their nose if someone pays them 500k to loan him or sign him permanently. The value is the same to them in either case - he goes and never comes back.

As for Rovers, they have got a new Kuwaiti owner as of two weeks ago who is splashing the cash.

The only potential advantage to a club looking for a loan is that they aren’t committed to keeping the player for multiple years on a high wage while he’s in his thirties. If you loan him and he gets you up, he was worth every penny. If he doesn’t, you can cut your losses and walk away without being lumbered with his wages for another year or two. It’s a risk and potentially a very expensive one, but it does happen. We paid £250,000 in wages plus a six-figure loan fee for Joseph just last season. Kane cost us half a million for a season the year before. I’m not saying I would do it, I’m saying it does happen.

As far as Peterborough are concerned the fee is the fee and he’s off their wage bill forever regardless, because his contract expires next summer. It’s no skin off their nose if someone pays them 500k to loan him or sign him permanently. The value is the same to them in either case - he goes and never comes back.

As for Rovers, they have got a new Kuwaiti owner as of two weeks ago who is splashing the cash.
I tried to investigate Rovers new owner, but the internet seems to know surprisingly little about him.

Scott Twine. Initially confused me as I thought the meant a striker.

Anyway CB, are you going to the game today? I'm hoping that CB can bag a hat trick, and that CB can put in a performance like last year that led to him being voted player of the season.

I also wonder if JT is fit and will play at CB, or if SN has done enough to convince Manning he's our best CB.

Manning ? Bit confused by who this is. Are you referring to LM the manager ?

Just checked a list of former players. The only other is apparently Steve Tavinor. The name rings a very vague bell, but I'm drawing a blank otherwise.

Young but inexplicably bald centre-back, think David Armstrong on a Benjamin Button tip.

Mid-90s vintage - local lad from memory, don’t think he made a league appearance, ended up at Witney Town.

Edit; photos of him that I’ve found show him with hair, so I might have got this wrong, too. Other details appear correct. Career ended by a horrid road accident, poor lad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom