Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quality player but way out of our price range. Stoke are interested but Colchester want around 1.5mil for him apparently.
Shame, I had heard Peterborough were interested earlier in the summer, a lot less was quoted than that but he’s a great talent for sure.

Knew you’d pop up, you always do when it comes to me! Where did he play tonight? Remind me? LWB? We won’t be playing 4231 long with how we’ve looked defensively in it now the season has started. The best we’ve looked over the past 3 seasons was in a 3 at the back formation. The best a manning side has looked in the last 3 seasons is a 3 at the back formation with wing backs. Really doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out where we look better & in what formation. That was my point, but knew you’d jump on any comment I make as you can’t resist it.
He's a right-sided player

He's a right-sided player
Plays at Left back for them or LWB when I’ve checked but transfer market does say he’s a right back, though judging by Stevens performance tonight we could do with him at RWB or RB. As not sure he’s the answer there & neither is long.

Plays at Left back for them or LWB when I’ve checked but transfer market does say he’s a right back, though judging by Stevens performance tonight we could do with him at RWB or RB. As not sure he’s the answer there & neither is long.
He played pretty much the whole of last season on the right

He played pretty much the whole of last season on the right
Then I stand corrected but I’ve seen him being played in both positions. One thing is for sure, reinforcements are needed. I hope we’ve basically got 2 through the door like manning has intimated

Knew you’d pop up, you always do when it comes to me! Where did he play tonight? Remind me? LWB? We won’t be playing 4231 long with how we’ve looked defensively in it now the season has started. The best we’ve looked over the past 3 seasons was in a 3 at the back formation. The best a manning side has looked in the last 3 seasons is a 3 at the back formation with wing backs. Really doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out where we look better & in what formation. That was my point, but knew you’d jump on any comment I make as you can’t resist it.

Apology accepted!!!

Weren’t you the one only on Saturday asking for an apology because Brown had one bad game? Pot and kettle and all that.
Was tongue in cheek as Scotch will never admit he’s wrong about anything. Whereas I will. Anyway, not going to clog up this thread with more on that. It’s pointless and we will never agree.

Have we still got Anderson's number? Must be worth giving him a bell.
Any decent League One right back (or left back for that matter) would come cheaper. Beginning to question the praise Waldron has been getting in recent weeks! Plus others higher up the pyramid of course in terms of recruitment.
Hopefully a win on Sat will calm things down.

At the moment things are just very slightly concerning!!!!

Any decent League One right back (or left back for that matter) would come cheaper. Beginning to question the praise Waldron has been getting in recent weeks! Plus others higher up the pyramid of course in terms of recruitment.

I've got a feeling we might of all got a bit too over excited over the signings brought in because of how bad the last transfer window was.

I believe beadle, Rodrigues, Mills and Thorniley are good signings and all four will come good.

However stevens is part of a woeful performing defense at the moment, mceachran is part of a lack lustre midfield and according to Liam manning can't play two games a week and mark harris is apparently a 24 year old "striker" who has played 147 games and scored a grand total of 16 goals.

Meanwhile we've gone into a 2nd season playing a CB at LB and he has clearly shown he can't play it anymore.

Last edited:
Thorniley we know is a good player, he'll be fine. Not sure about Stevens but don't think he came in as a finished article.
Expectations for this season were pretty mild until we started preseason and because that was so good a lot of people are up in arms about the start we've. Obviously we should be concerned but this season was likely to be transitional given the KR disaster. It's clear where we need to strengthen but I also expect to see improvement over the season anyway.

It was slightly tongue in cheek, although I thought he was a great player who got more stick than he deserved defensively. I actually think the fact he was so good going forwards made people think he was worse than he was defensively, he wasn't much different to Long in that regard but offered so much more to the team. It's no coincidence that our results were miles better with him in the team than without.

Agree about the recruitment. I think if you look at it individually then most the signings look alright but we knew what division we were going to be in before the end of the season which gave us time to plan. To be 3 months later and still start the season with Brown and Long at full back and a striker with a career best season total of 3 goals with a not-yet-good-enough O'Donkor as back up is really poor, these were key issues that haven't been fixed.

I was surprised Nathan didn’t ask LM about transfer activity ahead of Saturday.

Was a reason for Browne’s absence given? Could he be one of those on the way out?

Football fans are far too reactionary, 2 weeks ago we were hailing Manning & Waldron for an excellent summer of recruitment after squashing QPR 5-0.

Now suddenly after 2 poor results we've come to the conclusion half of those signings are now not good enough? New system and new players was always going to take a bit of time. If we're in this state 10-15 games in then we can make a clear judgement, but writing people off after 2 games? Seriously?

We need a LB/LWB. We need a ST. Both of those will 100% be addressed before the window shuts. Far from panic mode yet.

Football fans are far too reactionary, 2 weeks ago we were hailing Manning & Waldron for an excellent summer of recruitment after squashing QPR 5-0.

Now suddenly after 2 poor results we've come to the conclusion half of those signings are now not good enough? New system and new players was always going to take a bit of time. If we're in this state 10-15 games in then we can make a clear judgement, but writing people off after 2 games? Seriously?
I think people got too carried away with our business, I know I did. Having such a hot start with Rodrigues gave a real feel good factor around the place which I think led us to over value the rest of the signings a little. In the cold light of day going into the season with the fullbacks and strikers we have currently is a huge mistake/underperformance from a recruitment perspective. Most fans could see the issues in those positions and we had 3 months to rectify them and all we managed was a striker in Harris who may come good but his best season for goals yielded 3 and a full back in Stevens who hasn't displaced Long. A lot of the criticism isn't based on 2 games either, it's the fact that it's a repeat of the same problems we've been seeing for years now.
We need a LB/LWB. We need a ST. Both of those will 100% be addressed before the window shuts. Far from panic mode yet.
This is unfortunately reminiscent of last year on here. In 10 days time we'll be almost 10% of the way through the league season, we can't keep writing that off every year and expecting to compete. The signings you mention should have been made before we got going to give u a chance of a hot start rather than trying to get them in a few games in, although saying that I thought we had enough in the building to beat Cambridge.

There was four positions we should have sorted before any other players came into the building we should have got a proper RB ,LB a holding midfielder someone that can run and tackle and a striker that can actually score.. every body with half a brain knew those were our weaknesses last season and yet we've started this season with the same problems it's bloody madness

I think people got too carried away with our business, I know I did. Having such a hot start with Rodrigues gave a real feel good factor around the place which I think led us to over value the rest of the signings a little. In the cold light of day going into the season with the fullbacks and strikers we have currently is a huge mistake/underperformance from a recruitment perspective. Most fans could see the issues in those positions and we had 3 months to rectify them and all we managed was a striker in Harris who may come good but his best season for goals yielded 3 and a full back in Stevens who hasn't displaced Long. A lot of the criticism isn't based on 2 games either, it's the fact that it's a repeat of the same problems we've been seeing for years now.

This is unfortunately reminiscent of last year on here. In 10 days time we'll be almost 10% of the way through the league season, we can't keep writing that off every year and expecting to compete. The signings you mention should have been made before we got going to give u a chance of a hot start rather than trying to get them in a few games in, although saying that I thought we had enough in the building to beat Cambridge.
But every team does business in August? Why should we be the only ones to have everything in place by the time the season starts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom