Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was prompted to see what/how Ashley Smith-Brown is doing now. At the age of 27, no longer a professional footballer having been at South Shields > Farsley Celtic > Staleybridge Celtic, who released him last year. A reminder, I suppose, how many young players (even those taken up by the larger clubs) fall by the wayside and how loaning in alleged 'ones for the future' from such clubs is very much *not* a guarantee that you are getting a player of a quality you couldn't afford otherwise.

I was prompted to see what/how Ashley Smith-Brown is doing now. At the age of 27, no longer a professional footballer having been at South Shields > Farsley Celtic > Staleybridge Celtic, who released him last year. A reminder, I suppose, how many young players (even those taken up by the larger clubs) fall by the wayside and how loaning in alleged 'ones for the future' from such clubs is very much *not* a guarantee that you are getting a player of a quality you couldn't afford otherwise.
But also likely mortgage free and with a sports car on the drive. Him and Rickety Buckets typified all that's wrong with top level football.

But also likely mortgage free and with a sports car on the drive. Him and Rickety Buckets typified all that's wrong with top level football.
Agree- they were both appalling. Possibly the worst loanees I can ever remember- certainly the worst from a 'big' club.

Buckley-Ricketts went to Peterborough, played a couple of times, was released and went to an amateur club (Stretford Paddock) then signed for Southport (National League North) who loaned him out to Warrington town (Northern Prem), but it looks as if he's not played at all this year. A steady fall down the leagues.

He might have a sports car on the drive, but probably can't afford the petrol for it.

This years team, is very similar to last years, minor improvements in some areas and like for like swaps in others.

We’re way off where we need to be, if we want to challenge that top 6.

Full backs are not good enough
Think it’s more than the full back tbh 😂

Beadle, JT and Ruben are the only improvements to the side.

Bate and Josh are similar level, I’d say Bate is. Actually the better footballer.

Harris for Joseph looks similar..

Then we’ve left the rest of the relegation battlers to fill the squad

Guess one positive of tonight and Saturdays results is it builds the case for additional signings. Especially in the fullback positions.

We're trying to spend big on a striker, £500k+ bids tabled etc.

Think I'd rather we spent that on the best fullbacks in League Two, then find a striker on loan or a free agent.

Our defence, and lack of defensive midfield protection is a big problem.

We're trying to spend big on a striker, £500k+ bids tabled etc.

Think I'd rather we spent that on the best fullbacks in League Two, then find a striker on loan or a free agent.

Our defence, and lack of defensive midfield protection is a big problem.
Tchamadeu would be one for me on the left, cost a little bit but worth the investment.

Last year we couldnt score. After a completely brilliant well crafted and canny window we now can't defend either
Couldn't defend either, before Manning we had something ludicrous like 4/5 cleans sheets in 50 games under KR. The new formation shored it up and got us over the line but that's a desperate situation.

Incredible to think that after that we've only added one centre back and spent big elsewhere. Jury's out on Stevens if he's ready, but it's somewhere we should have invested heavily.

80 games played, 3 of them at left back!
Knew you’d pop up, you always do when it comes to me! Where did he play tonight? Remind me? LWB? We won’t be playing 4231 long with how we’ve looked defensively in it now the season has started. The best we’ve looked over the past 3 seasons was in a 3 at the back formation. The best a manning side has looked in the last 3 seasons is a 3 at the back formation with wing backs. Really doesn’t take a rocket scientist to work out where we look better & in what formation. That was my point, but knew you’d jump on any comment I make as you can’t resist it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom