Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
He also took two months to decide to stay with us in the summer of 2016, missing the first few weeks of pre-season in the process, and even then was only willing to sign for one year. I don’t remember anybody accusing him of thinking he was above us or claiming that he wasn’t committed.

Even when he first signed on loan in November 2015, I don’t remember anybody being concerned that he had fallen out with Rotherham, who he had only signed for a few months earlier after spending the entire summer pissing Sheffield Wednesday around over signing a new deal with them.

🤔
To be fair, Maguire had alot to consider as he had a young family living at the end of the country.

Besides, he had many a class game for us. A bit of a cult hero for me.

The only thing with Leigh might be the injury / fitness / lost pace issue. Been there before with that problem.

To be fair, Maguire had alot to consider as he had a young family living at the end of the country.

Besides, he had many a class game for us. A bit of a cult hero for me.
I’m not criticising Chris Maguire. I’m saying nobody ever questioned his attitude or commitment, despite having more reason to than a man they know virtually nothing about who hasn’t even signed for the football club.

The only thing with Leigh might be the injury / fitness / lost pace issue. Been there before with that problem.
I don't want broken players any more than the next bloke but I do take comfort from the fact our medical team will probably be listened to now. So, if they deem him a complete basket case, the chances are Manning will take that advice on board rather than give them a hand to talk to like his predecessor. The evidence is there that we're doing our homework now and uncalculated risks are a thing of the past. These next two or three players are so critical to our style of play that I don't think we'll be taking any punts. After all, what is the point of replacing Ciaron Brown if you just end up having to play Ciaron Brown all the time.

I don't want broken players any more than the next bloke but I do take comfort from the fact our medical team will probably be listened to now. So, if they deem him a complete basket case, the chances are Manning will take that advice on board rather than give them a hand to talk to like his predecessor. The evidence is there that we're doing our homework now and uncalculated risks are a thing of the past. These next two or three players are so critical to our style of play that I don't think we'll be taking any punts. After all, what is the point of replacing Ciaron Brown if you just end up having to play Ciaron Brown all the time.
with the amount of crocks weve had lately our medical team must be absolute top flight

I'd never heard the term 'slash fiction' until 2 hours ago, now 2 mentions in quick succession. The first, if you were wondering, was on the Podcast 'Middle Please, Umpire' in a discussion about Mark Wood and Chris Woakes...
The latest episode of the (excellent) Word of Mouth podcast by Michael Rosen is a half-hour focus on Fandom and the ways in which fans talk to each other.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m001pf6j

As well as spending a lot of time talking about football fan behaviours (e.g. referring to their club as "we", behavious such as BIRGING - basking in reflected glory - amongst others) it gives a brief description of shipping and, yes, slash fiction!

As ever with this podcast, it's a really interesting and accessible listen. No insights into who are new left-back might be though, unfortunately...

One of the two things I’ve said must be true.

Either we were never in for him, or we wasted time pursuing someone who just signed a new deal for the team that got to the Championship play off final last year. Where he played 30 times. Signing the deal at a club doing much better than us proves we never had a chance.
Well we didn’t need to waste time ,you wouldn’t know how long we were negotiating for to be able to say that.

I mean Greg Leigh is 28, should be at the peak of his career, but he can't get a game at Ipswich and likely won't in the foreseeable future because he's stuck behind Leif Davis (who was in the League One Team of the Season last year, and I'd say was probably one of the three best players I saw all last season).

It's not preposterous that he might be angling for a move to a club where he's actually going to be able to play, and applying player power to force Ipswich to look elsewhere for cover.

Not saying it's going to happen, but there have definitely been stranger transfers!

If we’re after a left back who came through the Man City youth academy who spent time at NEC Breda let’s not waste money on injury prone Gregg Leigh

I propose we get Ashley Smith-Brown back instead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom