Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The defence was the problem last year, the defence is still the problem, as well as having competition up front for Harris. g'od is nowhere near ready. All was showed on Saturday, and unless the last hurdle is crossed and these players are brought in, we will struggle this year. Simply from the point of view of managers reading mannings tactics like the clowns were read last year, game after game.
He needs the players to allow a change of format when needed, the fabled plan B.

The defence was the problem last year, the defence is still the problem, as well as having competition up front for Harris. g'od is nowhere near ready. All was showed on Saturday, and unless the last hurdle is crossed and these players are brought in, we will struggle this year. Simply from the point of view of managers reading mannings tactics like the clowns were read last year, game after game.
He needs the players to allow a change of format when needed, the fabled plan B.
How was the defence the problem. We played similar defensively as we did the previous few years but without scoring as a many

Complete lack of cohesion, with the same mistakes being made as last season.
1 game, we have played 1 game!!

Some of the dramatics on here are OTT even for this forum! I've seen people question Manning, question the board, say we are going to achieve nothing, people saying we will be lucky to stay up.

I think every one needs to calm down a little.

Some of the dramatics on here are OTT even for this forum! I've seen people question Manning, question the board, say we are going to achieve nothing, people saying we will be lucky to stay up.

… Of this season, yes.

But a number of the issues go quite a lot further back, across 2 managers, and remain unfixed on Saturday’s evidence. That’s not to say he isn’t aware of them, but Manning’s competitive game count is adding up and the record isn’t a good one yet some would say the players are plenty good enough. My view is they aren’t. Not all of them. Some are miles short. It’s not Manning, he just can’t go full throttle with what he has.

Nobody should be calling for his head in the slightest and there really is plenty of time and the remainder of the window to go. But it’s not unreasonable for people to point these things out when they’ve been happening over a lot longer than one game and after a big summer of change, some issues are still there. If it were a poor result but a much improved display, I think people would be far more accepting than they have been of what they saw.

Last edited:
… Of this season, yes.

But a number of the issues go quite a lot further back, across 2 managers, and remain unfixed on Saturday’s evidence. That’s not to say he isn’t aware of them, but Manning’s competitive game count is adding up and the record isn’t a good one yet some would say the players are plenty good enough. My view is they aren’t. Not all of them. Some are miles short. It’s not Manning, he just can’t go full throttle with what he has.

Nobody should be calling for his head in the slightest and there really is plenty of time and the remainder of the window to go. But it’s not unreasonable for people to point these things out when they’ve been happening over a lot longer than one game and after a big summer of change, some issues are still there. If it were a poor result but a much improved display, I think people would be far more accepting than they have been of what they saw.
The thing that people haven’t mentioned is that Manning himself said we didn’t do the basics well enough, players were too slow on the ball by taking too many touches.

I doubt players will be made aware that it was an acceptable performance but the way some are talking is that Manning has said that’s the way we will play with slow build up play. He wants quick, short, sharp passing and play through the 3rds. I believe he will sort it out pretty quickly.

We desperately need another quality midfield option, Saturday showed that oh so clearly.

You're right, and it's not even a DCM (or certainly not one of the Gorrin mould, anyway).

It's a pacy, strong, ball carrier to break the lines.

Everyone is rightly (focused) on Full-Backs being able to carry - but it can also be done through the middle by someone simply capable and willing to take the initiative and get up the pitch with the ball themselves.

If your opponent has a good shape and are well drilled a la Cambridge, you need to force the agenda and have a Plan B.

If you can't find space through passing, blow open some space by running at them. Draw a defender or two and create the space that would allow the likes of Rodrigues and Harris to thrive.

Yes to more dynamic Full-Backs, but also a bit more dynamism in the middle, when needed.

For all their combined qualities, that player isn't Brannagan, McEachran or McGuane.

You're right, and it's not even a DCM (or certainly not one of the Gorrin mould, anyway).

It's a pacy, strong, ball carrier to break the lines.

Everyone is rightly (focused) on Full-Backs being able to carry - but it can also be done through the middle by someone simply capable and willing to take the initiative and get up the pitch with the ball themselves.

If your opponent has a good shape and are well drilled a la Cambridge, you need to force the agenda and have a Plan B.

If you can't find space through passing, blow open some space by running at them. Draw a defender or two and create the space that would allow the likes of Rodrigues and Harris to thrive.

Yes to more dynamic Full-Backs, but also a bit more dynamism in the middle, when needed.

For all their combined qualities, that player isn't Brannagan, McEachran or McGuane.
I’d disagree about McGuane not being that player. He is a powerful player who has shown he can make short sharp bursts with the ball when played further up.

I think though with our midfielders and their passing ability it is more important to have over lapping full backs who can overload the other team’s fullbacks.

I think Mills and RR will be massive players this season as will Stevens when he gets up to pace.

Some of the tripe from so called fans of Oxford Utd is beyond me, slagging the players, management, the board etc is f*****g unbelievable. One f*****g game in and you f*****g idiots think the seasons over.
f*****g - is the missing word fishing?

My head agrees with this post but from the w/e I think we would have been disappointed with a draw but to lose with no reply feels too close to the giant losing run and going on an unbeaten one might help to mitigate the angst brought up by the Saturday result

Am I the only one that isn’t too bothered by Burey? If we get Marriott then I will be buzzing and I’d rather we go all out to get him in.
Burey will be using us as a stepping stone (nothing wrong with that) but like Nixon says, it is dragging on now.
I totally agree with you, it would be a bonus to have him but not the end of the world if we don't get him

I totally agree with you, it would be a bonus to have him but not the end of the world if we don't get him
I think if we get Marriott and a left back in this window then I think we have enough to be a good side in the 1st half of the season and then look at it in the new year.
We are going through a big rebuild and I believe it will take a couple of windows for Manning to bring in the players he wants and off load the ones that he doesn’t.

As they say, Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom