Transfer News Summer 2023 Transfer Window Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched O’Dowda have an outstanding game as full back (wing back) for Cardiff. Who knew it all those years ago, but we actually had a quality full back who was one of our own!

In all seriousness back to the main issue. If the funds are genuinely there, we still have some really important recruit to do in a number of positions, yesterday made that glaringly obvious. I think we thought we’d cracked it after Swansea and especially QPR. Cambridge lost their final friendly 2-0 against Barnet having started with 10 of yesterday’s first 11 and offered little threat up front apparently. Yes we need more time to gel a little, but so does every team during the first few weeks, that’s not an a excuse for me. Yesterday showed we have real deficiencies in key areas and above all we still really need some steel and physicality.
Defensively he was superb. Positionally he was great and saved the day on more than one occasion

I have watched all the Rocky movies a few times over, we just need to get him chasing chickens, collecting debts for the mafia, sprinting on the beach in tight eighties shorts and singlet with a muscular black man (Wilsterman?), chopping wood in Siberia, a talking robot butler, a near death Irish coach etc and then we can get him back and firing. Hashtag Robbo knew.
And running from Barton with more and more kids in OUFC shirts joining him in his journey up Shotover Hill where they'll all jump and down in ecstatic scenes. When that happens, he'll go on to have a s**t season but score the one goal that secures us promotion.

While the crowd are celebrating Baldock will be seen in the centre circle at the Kassam shouting "Kaaaaaaaaarrrlllll"

And running from Barton with more and more kids in OUFC shirts joining him in his journey up Shotover Hill where they'll all jump and down in ecstatic scenes. When that happens, he'll go on to have a s**t season but score the one goal that secures us promotion.

While the crowd are celebrating Baldock will be seen in the centre circle at the Kassam shouting "Kaaaaaaaaarrrlllll"

It’s not about how hard you can hit, it’s about how hard you can be hit and keep going forward, which now I think about it might be a bit of problem for a man a slight brush off a feather could leave a paraplegic but f**k it let’s pump eye of the tiger out and see if he is the answer.

I have watched all the Rocky movies a few times over, we just need to get him chasing chickens, collecting debts for the mafia, sprinting on the beach in tight eighties shorts and singlet with a muscular black man (Wilsterman?), chopping wood in Siberia, a talking robot butler, a near death Irish coach etc and then we can get him back and firing. Hashtag Robbo knew.
He'd probably get injured putting the tape in the VCR

We have a shocking record on the first day of the season so not really surprised with yesterday’s result.

Going on Wednesday and think we can win though. City will let us play.

Just watched O’Dowda have an outstanding game as full back (wing back) for Cardiff. Who knew it all those years ago, but we actually had a quality full back who was one of our own!

In all seriousness back to the main issue. If the funds are genuinely there, we still have some really important recruitment to do in a number of positions, yesterday made that glaringly obvious. I think we thought we’d cracked it after Swansea and especially QPR. Cambridge lost their final friendly 2-0 against Barnet having started with 10 of yesterday’s first 11 and offered little threat up front apparently. Yes we need more time to gel a little, but so does every team during the first few weeks, that’s not an an excuse for me. Yesterday showed we have real deficiencies in key areas and above all we still really need some steel and physicality.
A little while back when someone mentioned the idea of having O’Dowda back at Oxford, there were plenty on here saying no, wouldn’t want him, not good enough, we’ve moved on, we can do better…

Think it was obvious what we need after Cambridge

Realistically we have a back 4 of centre backs.

If Alan nixion is right Marriot wants the move to us can see this going on a while

Teanii Watson RWB was at MK currently a free agent maybe an option id look at

Think it was obvious what we need after Cambridge

Realistically we have a back 4 of centre backs.

If Alan nixion is right Marriot wants the move to us can see this going on a while

Teanii Watson RWB was at MK currently a free agent maybe an option id look at
Seems a bit odd that Marriott was on the bench at the weekend if all is fine and dandy between himself and Fleetwood. Surely with his record up there last season he’d have been a nailed on starter. I said last week that I still believe he is Oxford bound but this could rumble on until the last knockings of the transfer window - it just seems like one of those transfers where you‘ve got the seller, the buyer and the player all tugging in different directions. My guess is that us and Fleetwood will eventually settle on or around the £400,000 we’ve been rumoured to have offered.

Seems a bit odd that Marriott was on the bench at the weekend if all is fine and dandy between himself and Fleetwood. Surely with his record up there last season he’d have been a nailed on starter. I said last week that I still believe he is Oxford bound but this could rumble on until the last knockings of the transfer window - it just seems like one of those transfers where you‘ve got the seller, the buyer and the player all tugging in different directions. My guess is that us and Fleetwood will eventually settle on or around the £400,000 we’ve been rumoured to have offered.
Gut feeling is that this one may drag onto transfer deadline day and eventually get done.

Gut feeling is that this one may drag onto transfer deadline day and eventually get done.
I’m not sure that either club would want it to go to the final day. We need to have a decision before then and Fleetwood will need to get a replacement in if Marriott leaves

Although we obviously need another striker I'm not sure Marriott is the answer. It's not that I'd be unhappy with his experience and poaching ability, and initially I thought that's what we were lacking up front as well.

After watching the Cambridge game, I thought Harris had the potential to be a handful, his movement off the ball to get in behind is good and he's seriously quick. What good are those traits when we are playing a team with 10 men behind the ball and we're in a tough physical battle on a small pitch?

It was screaming out for someone to hold the ball up and bring in Rodrigues, Goodhram, Browne, Brannagan etc. I think we need a physical target man who the others can feed off, much like Ryan Taylor. Sometimes we would make 20 passes without making any progress, whilst Cambridge would stick it into their target man, pop it off and be attacking our back 4 in 2/3 passes. We need to be able to mix it up otherwise we become slow and predictable andf that's easy to defend against.

A couple of fullbacks who are willing to overlap to the byline would stop our wingers getting doubled up on. If I had the time I could screenshot so many occasions from that game where Browne held the ball on the wing, drew their full back miles out and left acres of space to exploit down the wing, only for Brown to sit behind him like a statue only wanting a back pass where it then ends up with our centre backs after that and they get back into shape. Will hold judgement to see if Stevens can do that on the right as Sam Long was equally scared of getting forward and seems a shadow of the marauding fullback we saw he was capable of once.

What good are those traits when we are playing a team with 10 men behind the ball and we're in a tough physical battle on a small pitch?
As was pointed out to me in a private message the other day, we seem to have made our own home pitch playing area rather smaller this season, if the PSFs are anything to go by. Let's hope that works out!

I know football is a ever-changing game, however if you look back over the years at our goalscorer 's, most of the effectiveness were a handful in a physical terms, having a target man shouldn't be considered old-fashioned,again with the midfield combination there is a genuine lack of presence ,it's not possible to win games with sideways and backward passing and movement which fails to put the opposition under any pressure

Marriott will put in a transfer request perhaps, and we know how that ends up. No point keeping an unhappy player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom