Transfer News Summer 2023 Post-Transfer Window

He is friend of a friend, so I know he is no longer living locally, although he loved it here. Moved back to Amsterdam earlier this month. Had many contract offers from many places around the world, and several offers of trials. Had interest from Championship but nothing quite fell in to place.

It was only early September that I saw him and he was in Heyford at the time, seemed very settled with his family. It was his words that said that he'd taken a year out, so I guess it was his choice not to take any of those contract offers.

It was only early September that I saw him and he was in Heyford at the time, seemed very settled with his family. It was his words that said that he'd taken a year out, so I guess it was his choice not to take any of those contract offers.
Yes, I think he decided none of the offers were worth uprooting across the world, and that he would wait for something closer and better for the family. I believe a recently-unemployed Championship manager had strong interest, but that obviously won't happen now!

That said for me the clear option is JCH. I was sceptical about bringing him in in the summer for what would be an inflated price (given DMcA’s pst form) and little sell on value. But we really should push the boat out in January, given promotion looks such a realistic prospect. With six months left on his contract there’s surely a deal to be done. And if we did get him in I genuinely feel that would essentially guarantee promotion.

So DMcA was incredibly open about the Rovers deal on transfer deadline day - so we know they had agreed £800k plus £250k in achievable bonuses back then. You'd have to feel that this price will have dropped......but given the man in charge, not as much as you would hope. Maybe £500k would get it done now?

Whether that is the right deal for us looks a little less obvious now, though - he's only scored 6 in 17 so far this season (in all competition, 4 in 14 in the league), and he's been on the bench the last couple of Posh games, with Ricky Jade-Jones being preferred. Whether that's just because he's leaving and Ferguson is looking to the future, or because he's starting to show the signs of decline, I don't know. He is going to turn 30 in the summer.

If the price tags were comparable, I think I would rather sign an Olaofe type on their way up than blowing a chunk of change on someone like JCH who may already be past his peak. But maybe Stockport would want stupid money for him now.......

Alfie May is the one that got away though. How we - and a whole bunch of other League One clubs, to be fair - weren't in for him when Cheltenham were willing to sell for £250k, I don't know.

He was only interested in Charlton, apparently. He's from the Medway area of Kent, and his family are all Charlton fans. Played semi pro for years in and around the area.
PS. Really good player. Came to pro quite late. Similar sort of background to Matty Taylor

So DMcA was incredibly open about the Rovers deal on transfer deadline day - so we know they had agreed £800k plus £250k in achievable bonuses back then. You'd have to feel that this price will have dropped......but given the man in charge, not as much as you would hope. Maybe £500k would get it done now?

Whether that is the right deal for us looks a little less obvious now, though - he's only scored 6 in 17 so far this season (in all competition, 4 in 14 in the league), and he's been on the bench the last couple of Posh games, with Ricky Jade-Jones being preferred. Whether that's just because he's leaving and Ferguson is looking to the future, or because he's starting to show the signs of decline, I don't know. He is going to turn 30 in the summer.

If the price tags were comparable, I think I would rather sign an Olaofe type on their way up than blowing a chunk of change on someone like JCH who may already be past his peak. But maybe Stockport would want stupid money for him now.......

Alfie May is the one that got away though. How we - and a whole bunch of other League One clubs, to be fair - weren't in for him when Cheltenham were willing to sell for £250k, I don't know.

A left field option, but with Reading’s current financial predicament (meltdown) and the likely further points deduction probably rendering their season redundant, I wonder if a cheeky offer for Sam Smith might be entertained in January?

I know he’s injured currently but his goals record at this level is not to be sniffed at.

A left field option, but with Reading’s current financial predicament (meltdown) and the likely further points deduction probably rendering their season redundant, I wonder if a cheeky offer for Sam Smith might be entertained in January?

I know he’s injured currently but his goals record at this level is not to be sniffed at.
Was the striker I wanted most in the summer, but he celebrated a goal and people got upset.

Sam Smith is an interesting option. I knew I'm Not The Only One who wanted him here.

Smith has just come back from his injury I believe, sure he got an assist in Readings last game. I’d definitely have taken him in the summer and still would, I can’t see him coming here though.

He's back now, missed an open goal against Pompey at the weekend to put them 3-1 up. Saying that I'd still have him here for sure, he's caused us as many problems as any striker I've seen at this level over the last couple of years. Don't know if it's at all feasible or if he's even interested but it's worth exploring. Gets goals at this level and links play and holds the ball up brilliantly too.

Smith has just come back from his injury I believe, sure he got an assist in Readings last game. I’d definitely have taken him in the summer and still would, I can’t see him coming here though.
Why wouldn't he come here?
A potential promotion team relatively close ( presumably) to where he lives?

5 for the season. 1 in 3 for a relegation threatened side. I think he’d thrive in a side like ours that creates the chances that we do.

That said, I’d still have Sam Smith over JM.

I watched the game tonight on Ifollow. His first goal was a poachers goal in the box after the keeper saved the first attempt. He then caused Blackpool all kinds of problems by being a nuisance and holding up the ball. Then a rocket of a left foot to the top corner gave them a share of the points.

He would add to this team for sure.

I think Joe Taylor could be very interesting - on loan at Colchester from Luton.

Very mobile, can carry, presses from the front, scoring at an expected rate.

vs accrington goal:

vs Grimsby:

May look to have a second loan in to league one in January

Admittedly not experienced and fully proven at the level, but it’s a pretty small pool to be shopping in

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm still not sure I get all the Sam Smith love.
And not because of the Joey celebration - but because I think people have seen him have a couple of good days against us, and are extrapolating out to make him a better player than he actually is.

He works hard, bustles around up top and causes some trouble. But I'm really not sure that he's a natural finisher. Certainly wasn't when he was with us - and he's never scored more than 15 in a season, or at a rate of better than 1 in 3.

He's not - for example - an Alfie May, who scored 1 in 2 at this level even whilst playing for a crap Cheltenham team. And is now making a run at a goal a game playing for someone decent.

Signing Sam Smith would be good for depth. But I don't see that buying him gives us a striker to rival the Top 5 in the division currently (Cole, May, Rhodes, Bishop & Charles).

Back
Top Bottom