Transfer News Summer 2023 Post-Transfer Window

Few names we should be looking at that are within our budget for the missing forwards in our squad.

Louis Appéré , CF from Northampton town aged 24 , scored 3 and 1 assist in 11 league one games this season. Out of contract in the summer.

Fejiri Okenabirhie , CF from Cambridge aged 27, scored 5 and 2 assists in 14 league one games this season, out of contract in the summer.

Jonson Clarke-Harris , CF from Peterborough aged 29, scored 4 in 14 league one games this season, out of contract in the summer.

Daniel Udoh, CF from Shrewsbury aged 27, scored 2 and 2 assists in 15 league games but in a very poor Shrewsbury side. Out of contract in the summer

Jack Marriott, CF from Fleetwood aged 29, 3 goals in 12 league one games this season, out of contract in 2025.

Isaac Olaofe , CF from Stockport aged 23, 11 goals and 2 assists in 16 league 2 games this season, out of contract 2025

Jake Young, CF from Bradford on loan at Scum aged 22, 10 goals and 4 assists in 14 league 2 games this season. Out of contract 2025

Joe Taylor, CF from Luton on loan at Colchester aged 20, 7 goals and 2 assists in 15 league 2 games. Unsure when contract expires with Luton

Ali Al-Hamadi, CF From AFC Wimbledon aged 21, 4 goals and 4 assists in 13 league 2 games , out of contract 2025

Few names we should be looking at that are within our budget for the missing forwards in our squad.

Louis Appéré , CF from Northampton town aged 24 , scored 3 and 1 assist in 11 league one games this season. Out of contract in the summer.

Fejiri Okenabirhie , CF from Cambridge aged 27, scored 5 and 2 assists in 14 league one games this season, out of contract in the summer.

Jonson Clarke-Harris , CF from Peterborough aged 29, scored 4 in 14 league one games this season, out of contract in the summer.

Daniel Udoh, CF from Shrewsbury aged 27, scored 2 and 2 assists in 15 league games but in a very poor Shrewsbury side. Out of contract in the summer

Jack Marriott, CF from Fleetwood aged 29, 3 goals in 12 league one games this season, out of contract in 2025.

Isaac Olaofe , CF from Stockport aged 23, 11 goals and 2 assists in 16 league 2 games this season, out of contract 2025

Jake Young, CF from Bradford on loan at Scum aged 22, 10 goals and 4 assists in 14 league 2 games this season. Out of contract 2025

Joe Taylor, CF from Luton on loan at Colchester aged 20, 7 goals and 2 assists in 15 league 2 games. Unsure when contract expires with Luton

Ali Al-Hamadi, CF From AFC Wimbledon aged 21, 4 goals and 4 assists in 13 league 2 games , out of contract 2025
Great knowledge there

And Harris could be useful coming in off the left or right could be a useful edition.

Unless Stevens is sent back or long is loaned out then I doubt we will getting a RB in.
Perkins are GOD I can see leaving/loaned out and Smyth loaned out.

There is a sweet spot here though, when a player has perhaps recently started to score goals at this level or the one below but is yet to be picked up by a bigger club. You won't get them for free but you're not breaking the bank at that point. They've proven that they've got ability but are not yet on the radar of Championship clubs with deep pockets. They'll likely increase in value too.

Colby Bishop from Accy to Pompey is a perfect example.

Isaac Olaofe at Stockport could be another. Exactly the right profile, a proper centre forward.
Big, strong, natural finisher who can also press.

Played a lot of football for a 23 year old (fit, healthy) but with his best years ahead of him.

He's the sort of centre forward that I could see Bolton or Peterborough signing in January for £500k and then selling on to West Brom or Stoke for 7 figures in a year or two.

He may be one that (much like Thomas-Asante) bypasses League One altogether - but I do believe there are affordable centre forwards with decent pedigree that can also fit the model and grow with us.

We've shown with the signing of Rodrigues that we're (now) very capable of making this calibre of signing.
Right now he is looking at having certain League One football with Stockport next season.

We may be one of 5 or 6 clubs that could realistically attract and afford him. He may feel that he can fast track to the Championship either with us, or another transfer within 12 months because hes given himself a platform.

Besides him I dont see anyone I'd really like to push the boat out for that we could realistically afford.

I just love all the football managers on this thread you guys are wasted in your current employment 😃 let's find some names that guy will be great for us ... I know let's sign langstaff and Clarke- Harris they will score loads but who is actually going to assist them surely we can't expect Leigh to be our assist king

Manning released him, to do a U-turn now is simply not going to happen, not when we're second in the league

Love how players who leave us immediately become the answer to our future problems :ROFLMAO:
I agree there's no chance we're going to sign him, his style of play is completely opposed to Manning's. Manning has done an excellent job but my main criticism of him would be being too cautious/unwilling to take risks, see our often slow build up, sitting back on leads and meaning subs til late. Anderson taking on his man with no one covering would give him a coronary.

I'm sure it's not what you meant but us being second in the league doesn't mean we can't point out areas of weakness and want us to improve. I'm also not a big fan of going back but at the same time I can't believe there are people who don't think Anderson would walk into our team at right back currently, he's miles ahead of Long in terms of ability. Like I said it won't happen because he's the antethisis of what Manning wants but I'd far rather see him looking to move the ball on quickly or take on his man than Long take an extra touch and slow it down and then either loft it down the line or come back inside.

I think we could also look the other way, upwards to the Championship, for strikers in January, given that, while bringing in a really promising young striker who’s thriving in the league below would obviously be ideal, we don’t really need that in that window. What we really need is a short term fix to get us over the line for promotion. Similar to what Barnsley did with us and Herbie Kane a couple of years back, I think a couple of teams in danger of relegation could be tempted to give strikers not getting many minutes in the Championship six months in a good League One side in the event that they may need a player like that next year. Someone like Waine at Plymouth perhaps, not getting many minutes but seemingly brought in last January as one for the future (and a player who scored at this level last season). At the other end of the spectrum, perhaps someone like Ladapo at Ipswich could be tempted. Only getting a few minutes off the bench it would seem from Transfermarkt (although he has scored a couple of times) and likely to be surplus to requirements in what is looking like the likely event they get promoted. Imagine he’d probably want to stay at that level if he can but would be a superb pickup if we could get him in.

That said for me the clear option is JCH. I was sceptical about bringing him in in the summer for what would be an inflated price (given DMcA’s pst form) and little sell on value. But we really should push the boat out in January, given promotion looks such a realistic prospect. With six months left on his contract there’s surely a deal to be done. And if we did get him in I genuinely feel that would essentially guarantee promotion.

He's still living locally and has taken (in his words) a year out due to having a young family that is settled in the area. I suspect that his sabbatical is as much to do with not getting a decent contract rather than a work life balance decision.

I wonder if there could be a conversations about him training at the club to keep the door ajar for both parties?
He is friend of a friend, so I know he is no longer living locally, although he loved it here. Moved back to Amsterdam earlier this month. Had many contract offers from many places around the world, and several offers of trials. Had interest from Championship but nothing quite fell in to place.

I think we could also look the other way, upwards to the Championship, for strikers in January, given that, while bringing in a really promising young striker who’s thriving in the league below would obviously be ideal, we don’t really need that in that window. What we really need is a short term fix to get us over the line for promotion. Similar to what Barnsley did with us and Herbie Kane a couple of years back, I think a couple of teams in danger of relegation could be tempted to give strikers not getting many minutes in the Championship six months in a good League One side in the event that they may need a player like that next year. Someone like Waine at Plymouth perhaps, not getting many minutes but seemingly brought in last January as one for the future (and a player who scored at this level last season). At the other end of the spectrum, perhaps someone like Ladapo at Ipswich could be tempted. Only getting a few minutes off the bench it would seem from Transfermarkt (although he has scored a couple of times) and likely to be surplus to requirements in what is looking like the likely event they get promoted. Imagine he’d probably want to stay at that level if he can but would be a superb pickup if we could get him in.

That said for me the clear option is JCH. I was sceptical about bringing him in in the summer for what would be an inflated price (given DMcA’s pst form) and little sell on value. But we really should push the boat out in January, given promotion looks such a realistic prospect. With six months left on his contract there’s surely a deal to be done. And if we did get him in I genuinely feel that would essentially guarantee promotion.

I said Clarke Harris before, and got completely shot down by posters on here.

Back
Top Bottom