General Stoppages to attend to fans

Im not quite getting the reaction to crowd incidents in different sports. Surely a dying spectator is a dying spectator, irrespective of what the action is they’re watching. it strikes me it wouldn’t halt a Grand Prix because it’s not as easy to restart as a football match and this just trivialises the seriousness of the person who’s fallen ill.

I'm very confused what you're arguing for now. You appeared to be critical as to why games were stopping but now seem to be supportive of it because Formula One don't stop races?

We're comparing oranges and apples here. Football is (usually) four stands with all spectators looking at one pitch for the action in a densely-packed, contained environment. Formula One has spectators in various stands throughout the track spread out over a much wider area where they'll see a brief moment of the cars going fast and then periods of nothing occurring until they race around again. The stands the spectators are in - for safety reasons above anything else - are set some way back from the action. Not having been to a race, I would presume each stand would have medical personnel on standby for anyone who fell ill which is pretty standard for any large scale event.

If someone had a, say, heart attack at a racetrack, you could easily attend to them without disrupting other fans, needing to call on the constructor's doctors (who could be a few km away) or having to take the stricken person away anywhere near the track itself. It's not easy to call a pause on a race and in most instances where something serious occurs, a safety car is deployed.

I think the better parallel to compare stoppages to would be another sport watched in four stands with eyes trained to the action on a pitch in middle in rugby. Lo and behold ...

Same with somewhere like Glastonbury, I can’t imagine anything stopping that.
There are loads of examples of gigs being stopped/halted due to an incident in the crowd. Billy Eilish has done so a couple of times herself over the last month and a bit. Festivals are not as likely as they tend to be in very large open areas where it is easy to move people away and for the emergency services to get in and do their jobs. There is a surprising amount of space in festival crowds, even for the bigger festivals - they may look rammed on TV, but when you are in them it is quite different.

If a spectator is taken ill in a hospitality box, should the game be halted? Discuss..

Im not quite getting the reaction to crowd incidents in different sports. Surely a dying spectator is a dying spectator, irrespective of what the action is they’re watching. it strikes me it wouldn’t halt a Grand Prix because it’s not as easy to restart as a football match and this just trivialises the seriousness of the person who’s fallen ill.
Who cares about motor racing or cricket? Very different settings and dull sports

I mean, if someone came over all queer at a cricket match it would be the most exciting thing to happen all day!
Now, don't start pushing it, I may have to dig out the ban hammer

tenor.gif

Back
Top Bottom