Matches Stop Knocking the Supporters Rosie.

Dillon

Yet again Rosie castigates the Oxford supporters during his matchday commentary on Radio Oxford. Rosie your paid to watch the game, we pay to support our club, if the product is poor the we have a right to express our feelings. Please stop making comments about the supporters in your paid role.

Yet again Rosie castigates the Oxford supporters during his matchday commentary on Radio Oxford. Rosie your paid to watch the game, we pay to support our club, if the product is poor the we have a right to express our feelings. Please stop making comments about the supporters in your paid role.

I was at the game so didn’t hear his comments, but if he said that the vocal support was poor, then in a sense he’s right it is and has been poor at home for some time.

I guess it’s a chicken and egg scenario, does vocal support encourage players to play better, or by playing better is the sport more encouraged?

There does seem to be a bit of a narrative coming out from the club at the moment about a lack of support for the players in match situations.

We had the comment from Grant Ferguson at the fans forum about players commenting on it. Make no mistake that wasn’t an off the cuff comment from the Chairman, it was pre planned.

Personally I think fans can be a bit over precious about criticism that comes their way, I also find it quite odd that fans get so upset if the players don’t applaud them at the end of a home match.

Having said that any criticism of the supporters from the club, particularly long standing supporters is a dangerous game to play, especially if it’s coming from the higher echelons of the club.

I'm all for Rosie's criticism of the fans. He is only trying to use his position as a spokesperson to get the message across to the fan base that we could probably do a bit better with our vocal support.
Yesterday in the North Stand it was horrendously negative. There were 2 blokes in particular constantly shouting expletives at the players very loudly. It really did bring the whole place down. Instead of shouting such vile abuse at the players and staff maybe offer a bit of encouragement and this will translate with how the club sees the fans. It works both ways sometimes.

There does seem to be 2 groups in the East Stand at the moment and they rarely seem to come together with chants. It does happen such for some chants (ie. we are the left side etc etc).

I will say fair play to the young kid on the left side, who keeps trying to get chants going sometimes just persevering on his own for a bit.

I can never understand why there are ‘supporters’ who throw constant foul abuse at the players. I also don’t understand why the stewards who can also hear it don’t do something about it. It’s horrible for the fans around these people and spoils the atmosphere.

Not sure I agree. We have collectively been a bit poor for whatever reason.

And Rosie is basically a cheerleader after all!

Pre game and at half time there is nothing to try and build some kind of atmosphere. Turn up the music and play some stuff that the fans can sing along too would be a start. Also why do we cut the music out about 1 minute before the ref blows to start the game?

Players need to play with the same urgency as the last 10 minutes for the majority of the game yesterday and then the fans will be in full voice. Unfortunately the slowing the game down passing backwards just kills the mood.

But the main reason as to why our atmosphere is crap recently is there is two groups trying to start songs but don't stick to the same rhythm and pace as the others. Singing section in the central block of the east stand and then both left and right side can join in is the only way to correct that.

it’s generally very quiet, but that’s probably just modern football mixed with Oxford fans in general. It’s 2024, a lot has changed about life and football in the last 30 or 40 years.
I must say, I do understand why it’s like a morgue sometimes. I spend large chunks of football matches these days utterly bored, and yes, I am finding other things to do on a Saturday.

I had my say on him a good year ago & the bloke is well past his sell by date on RO, when Steven Kinniburgh started doing co-comms it was a true reflection of the game said it how it was he just came across brilliantly on air, where as PRB wants to dress it up all the time & be overly positive every time he’s painful to listen to alongside Eddie Odhiambo when he does it as well. I'd rather Nick Harris come back as co-comms.

Last edited:
The club need to have a good look at themselves when criticising the fans, they kicked out the ultras, stopped the flag waving and keep putting up the signs for grassing up anyone who dares offend anyone who might get offended at anything said.
The stadium is a shithole, the football is bloody awful so the atmosphere is s**t.
When we decided to start playing football yesterday which was about 2 minutes after Cheltenham scored the atmosphere got better, go figure.

The club need to have a good look at themselves when criticising the fans, they kicked out the ultras, stopped the flag waving and keep putting up the signs for grassing up anyone who dares offend anyone who might get offended at anything said.
The stadium is a shithole, the football is bloody awful so the atmosphere is s**t.
When we decided to start playing football yesterday which was about 2 minutes after Cheltenham scored the atmosphere got better, go figure.
Last paragraph spot on, cause and effect. When Rosie is up watching at the training ground, perhaps he can give Des and the players a heads up. Someone mentioned on the phone in that Owen Dale had encouraged the fans to show more support, good on him, as was commented it creates an us and us situation and draws us in. We had players who did that in the past, McGuire, Ledson to name two, it helps create a shared passion.

I get the point that the atmosphere is s**t, but Rosie has a snide way of pointing it out, which isn't ever going to help the problem. If anything, it just drives more of a wedge between the club and it's fans.

Can't help but feel that a more 'in touch' management team would be looking for ways to make improvements, rather than simply saying it's not good enough.

Lastly from me on the subject: our atmosphere is the perfect gauge of whether people like what they see or not. We won yesterday. The performance was woeful.

Imo if the football on the pitch is exciting the noise in the stands is much better if the football is boring people get bored in the stands the two go hand in hand

I think we need more colour maybe the club could provide mini flags on seats or scarfs maybe those things they have at Leicester it wouldn't cost much but would add to the atmosphere

Yesterday I moaned about smoke bombs but I'm not against them just don't appreciate people chucking them where my kids are stood but they also add to the atmosphere

Going to watch Oxford isn't fun atm I think club and fans need to work together to make the best of what we currently have because it could be much better

I'd much rather hear their ideas to fix it than their complaints about it.
You fix the atmosphere by playing better football. Give the fans something to get behind - an identity.

How can the players/club expect us to be buzzing and making noise when we're uninspired and bored out of our minds?

What I'd mention is the "Oxford supporters have been too impatient" comment yesterday was unnecessary. The football is rubbish, fans pay good money, I totally get the frustration. We have one of the best budgets in the league and since Des has come in we serve up one-paced lower-mid table balderdash. After the Orient game I booed for the first time since I can't remember when. It was a pathetic second half performance and I wanted to voice my discontent with the club top to bottom.

You fix the atmosphere by playing better football. Give the fans something to get behind - an identity.

How can the players/club expect us to be buzzing and making noise when we're uninspired and bored out of our minds?
Well you could decide to do something about it instead of waiting for something to fix it for you 🤷‍♂️ The fans can actually make an improvement if enough of them get together and decide to do it - as we saw with the Ultras. It isn't purely down to how the team is doing at this moment in time, that's too simplistic.

Back
Top Bottom