Matches Lack of supporters

You chose not to go to a match that we played sparkling football and won 5-1….. and you don’t regret it?! Eh?
Sometimes we'll win, sometimes we'll be lose. The one consistent should be the atmosphere, for some it's the most important thing to a matchday. If that goes then the enthusiasm for going to football goes too.

We aren't often watching Man City quality football, so I doubt the quality of football is a deciding factor for some fans.

What was going on with that muppet in the right hand corner of the JS stand, didn’t appear happy with the vocal support 🤔
He had to much to drink couldn’t handle the drink and then started being passionate about the atmosphere or lack off in his opinion I think the final nail was when he climbed on the wall obviously health and safety so got chucked out

He had to much to drink couldn’t handle the drink and then started being passionate about the atmosphere or lack off in his opinion I think the final nail was when he climbed on the wall obviously health and safety so got chucked out

While there are ways and means, fair play to him for calling it as it is.

Sometimes we'll win, sometimes we'll be lose. The one consistent should be the atmosphere, for some it's the most important thing to a matchday. If that goes then the enthusiasm for going to football goes too.

We aren't often watching Man City quality football, so I doubt the quality of football is a deciding factor for some fans.
Yes basically you need to enjoy the experience, and different things will be important to different people - whether it’s atmosphere, company, football, results, or whatever.

Interestingly, there was an article in the old Raging Bull fanzine once, I think by a guy called Ed Horton. He questioned why he laboured up Headington Hill from the city every time there was a match at the Manor (even on cold wet Tuesday nights) when the chances were he’d watch a boring, dire performance and a probable defeat (this was the 70s if my memory serves). His reasoning was that every so often, just OCCASIONALLY they’d be a great match and he didn’t want to have to admit he’d missed it!
I think it’s that fact that drags me back, even on a miserable wet, petrol-short autumnal Tuesday evening. Fearing a Wycombe or a Gillingham, every so often there’s a 5-1 Accrington.

You chose not to go to a match that we played sparkling football and won 5-1….. and you don’t regret it?! Eh?

Nope. The actual football itself hasn't interested me in a long time. Probably since I walked out at Blackpool (H) 33 mins in 2017/18.

For me it's not about the football now. It's about the day out, meeting your mates and having pints. Whether we had won, lost or drawn on Tuesday has no impact on whether I regret not going. I made my decision and I enjoyed my Tuesday night doing other hobbies.

On Tuesday I woke up feeling rubbish got man cold 😂 I done a Covid lateral flow test so knee it was only a cold but all day I was thinking should I go or should I stay at home in the warm. but it was strange because I had this nagging feeling that that something good was going to happen and I didn’t want to miss it. so what did I do I popped a couple of cold and flu tablets drank some corona and off I went to the football and what a good night it was I would have been abit pissed off if I’d have missed that to be honest

Nope. The actual football itself hasn't interested me in a long time. Probably since I walked out at Blackpool (H) 33 mins in 2017/18.

For me it's not about the football now. It's about the day out, meeting your mates and having pints. Whether we had won, lost or drawn on Tuesday has no impact on whether I regret not going. I made my decision and I enjoyed my Tuesday night doing other hobbies.
Was that the one where Ruffs got an outrageous last minute winner? That’s exactly the sort of thing I go for, and why I dont walk out.

Interestingly, there was an article in the old Raging Bull fanzine once, I think by a guy called Ed Horton. He questioned why he laboured up Headington Hill from the city every time there was a match at the Manor (even on cold wet Tuesday nights) when the chances were he’d watch a boring, dire performance and a probable defeat (this was the 70s if my memory serves). His reasoning was that every so often, just OCCASIONALLY they’d be a great match and he didn’t want to have to admit he’d missed it!
I think it’s that fact that drags me back, even on a miserable wet, petrol-short autumnal Tuesday evening. Fearing a Wycombe or a Gillingham, every so often there’s a 5-1 Accrington.

I think that would have been late 80s or 90s

I feel the same at the moment, but I'm not resigned to never feeling the same way I used to about it at the moment. Unfortunately this season feels like its just going to be a repeat of the previous two to me.

If new owners come in maybe it will re-ignite the passion.

I feel the same at the moment, but I'm not resigned to never feeling the same way I used to about it at the moment. Unfortunately this season feels like its just going to be a repeat of the previous two to me.

If new owners come in maybe it will re-ignite the passion.
But the previous two have been epic, two of the most exciting for thirty years. If you haven’t enjoyed them then I’m not sure what you want, unless it’s purely about winning things, which is never going to happen very often.

As I keep saying, there is a lack of passion amongst many of our 'fans'

Every club has that though. I don't see why we're any different. For every Womble-esque fan heading to every match, there's a part timer heading along for one or two matches tops. For every chant starter in the East Stand, there's the old couple who simply enjoy watching the game and don't get involved in the singing in the SSU. It's all part of the tapestry of the fanbase and the reason why family stands and goal end terraces exist at all.

I'm not sure what it is that you wish to see at the ground in terms of 'passion'?

Last edited:
But the previous two have been epic, two of the most exciting for thirty years. If you haven’t enjoyed them then I’m not sure what you want, unless it’s purely about winning things, which is never going to happen very often.
I was pissed off two seasons ago because I believe if the season didn't have the break due to covid we would have gone up.
Last season was a dud imo due to the lack of fans, couldn't get into it in the same week.
This season it seems to me we are making the same mistakes which mean we didn't get promoted last season.

Big topic and one I could rant on but just a few thoughts on the experience for youngsters and families.

For those who use the family area the club are running a survey to get feedback and ideas. https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/OllysDenOUFC Closes tomorrow mind.

My feedback was roughly this:
1: Ollie's Den is fine and could consider bringing Ollie back to entertain the very young kids. But overall not sure this has a massive impact because so similar to thousands of other experiences kids can have.
2: Catering in family area could be improved easily for everyone by just having a simple snack and sweets bar in one of the programme booths to quickly flog crisps, cokes and chocolate. Kids love that, keeps them and their parents away from the main bar and improves things for everyone. Never underestimate the importance of junk food to children.
3: Nothing the club can do is anywhere near as important as focusing on the real heart of live football. Encouraging singing, noise and atmosphere, actively improving relations with East Stand fans for sure and prioritising that section. The club made a wise move after the 16/17 season bringing the family area away from the dead zone in SSL to be nearer the action but not much use if the overall atmosphere is flat. Basically, everything WuTang said earlier. I've been taking my lad since he was 7 and he was instantly hooked. When we started it was in the crappest part of a terrible ground with equally crap catering, no family room or any of that jazz. We also lost the first five games he attended. So why did he get into it and would still never miss a game despite temptations of YouTube and Playstation? He's clear. It was the same reason most of us did. It was the noise, the ultras, the songs, the swearing, the what-happens-at-football-stays-at-football deal we struck, the edge. Ultimately it was that going to footy is unlike anything else he experiences in the sanitised, safety-first, often virtual world he's grown up in.

Big topic and one I could rant on but just a few thoughts on the experience for youngsters and families.

For those who use the family area the club are running a survey to get feedback and ideas. https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/OllysDenOUFC Closes tomorrow mind.

My feedback was roughly this:
1: Ollie's Den is fine and could consider bringing Ollie back to entertain the very young kids. But overall not sure this has a massive impact because so similar to thousands of other experiences kids can have.
2: Catering in family area could be improved easily for everyone by just having a simple snack and sweets bar in one of the programme booths to quickly flog crisps, cokes and chocolate. Kids love that, keeps them and their parents away from the main bar and improves things for everyone. Never underestimate the importance of junk food to children.
3: Nothing the club can do is anywhere near as important as focusing on the real heart of live football. Encouraging singing, noise and atmosphere, actively improving relations with East Stand fans for sure and prioritising that section. The club made a wise move after the 16/17 season bringing the family area away from the dead zone in SSL to be nearer the action but not much use if the overall atmosphere is flat. Basically, everything WuTang said earlier. I've been taking my lad since he was 7 and he was instantly hooked. When we started it was in the crappest part of a terrible ground with equally crap catering, no family room or any of that jazz. We also lost the first five games he attended. So why did he get into it and would still never miss a game despite temptations of YouTube and Playstation? He's clear. It was the same reason most of us did. It was the noise, the ultras, the songs, the swearing, the what-happens-at-football-stays-at-football deal we struck, the edge. Ultimately it was that going to footy is unlike anything else he experiences in the sanitised, safety-first, often virtual world he's grown up in.
You've absolutely hit the nail on the head here sir.

Thought if he carried on he would have fell outside the ground which would have been a 25/30 foot drop

I agree I didn’t think he was doing any harm to be honest
If he had feel he may have harmed himself and the rules and refs for entering a football ground are that you can’t be drunk. Shame as he probably was there to enjoy himself

Back
Top Bottom