Matches Stop Knocking the Supporters Rosie.

I remember reading that report at the time and wondering about the ambiguity of the Ultras post and their immediate dissolution (was that the same game they all p!ssed off to the Blackbird at halftime?) and thinking "that's not very Ultra"
The ultras brought colour and noise to a stadium that sorely needed it for a decade and took the atmosphere to a different level on away games as well. Some of the displays will live long in the memory.

If you worked as hard as them setting up the displays, getting constant over-zealous stewards and a club who won't let them have their own area, you can't blame them for being fuming.

By the way, stadium walk outs are very common among ultra groups all across Europe, so actually it is very ultra.

You don’t work for the club? At the end of the day those fans pay to go, if they don’t want to sing it is up to them, it’s not compulsory.
Not just about singing, well apart from that bloody mind numbing yellows yellows yellows which is basically all that most seem to sing anyway :unsure:

Not just about singing, well apart from that bloody mind numbing yellows yellows yellows which is basically all that most seem to sing anyway :unsure:
Yeah, bunch of bastards, paying to go to games and for season tickets, buying merch, some travelling the length and breadth of the country - call themselves supporters? Pathetic.

Perhaps they should support a club in a two team league?

What has Rosie that's not true?

I get slammed for saying about the lack of passion within our support and wish I was proved wrong, but it's true :rolleyes:

So as an exile, who watches every game on iFollow, I can cover this one.

What Rosie did on Saturday was have a rant at around the 35-38 minute mark about the crowd. Not because they were quiet, but because they were getting on the players' backs. There was one particular moment when the crowd got particularly angry after we went back to the goalie for the nth time in the half when Rosie said that the fans were "Out of Order" in doing so, and needed to be more patient.

And he was 100% wrong, because the anger and frustration that was boiling in the stands actually then did translate itself onto the pitch. The players seemed to get the message, Cam got the bit between his teeth, the fullbacks started bombing on more, even McGuane pushed further forwards - and hey presto, we had a great five minutes of attacking play that culminated in the goal.

Sometimes the crowd should be trying to get behind the players and give them a boost (what the Pompey fans managed in the last five minutes there was a great example of this). But sometimes the crowd is going to give the team a rocket, and that's fine too - especially when the team does have some tough characters in it who are going to react the right way, as this one does. And Rosie needs to accept this and stop trying to be their nanny.

Last edited:
You might be confusing 'standard' with intensity. I don't think it's the standard that raises the crowd. Under KR, for example, we weren't always top drawer in terms of performance level but our identity under him was always a team that wanted to have a go, that wanted to try and take the game to the opponent and subsequently you saw crowds that reacted to that approach.

Under Des, it's the polar opposite. We don't play with intensity, we don't want to take the game to the opposition. We sit back and, to be honest, so do the crowd. Nothing to do with the standard. Everyone loves a trier and will generally forgive ability if we can see that the players and team are leaving everything out there in terms of trying to achieve the result. I think we very obviously did that under KR, under LM that fire in the belly was slightly diluted but masked by a clear identity and lots of positive results. Under Des, it seems every ounce of passion has been sucked out of the players and been dreadfully exposed by chaotic tactics, no clear playing style, an awful points return culminating in falling from the automatics to 7th.
Well, yes and no, and I certainly take your point. A high intensity will spread to the crowd, no doubt. But blaming the flat atmosphere entirely on the football and not taking any responsibility ourselves, which some appear to be doing, isn't right either. You can go to a game determined to have a good time and sing a few songs, or you can go and sit on your hands and complain about the atmosphere. If the football isn't going to build the atmosphere then the crowd can do it themselves - as I've said before I've seen it happen before. It isn't ideal, it isn't easy, but it can be done.

No I don't think that. But I also don't think it is purely the standard of football that is the problem, and we actually have really noisy fans but those bloody players are stopping us from singing by the way they are performing.
Like I said, it’s a bit of both and it wouldn’t harm the situation if the performance was a bit more entertaining to at least give the fans something to cheer about, you know, like they did at Pompey!

Like I said, it’s a bit of both and it wouldn’t harm the situation if the performance was a bit more entertaining to at least give the fans something to cheer about, you know, like they did at Pompey!
Then I think I'm pretty much in agreement with you. The performance on the pitch is the main thing that'll contribute for sure, but we can do more ourselves (says the 50 year old who doesn't get involved that much these days... 🤣)

You might be confusing 'standard' with intensity. I don't think it's the standard that raises the crowd. Under KR, for example, we weren't always top drawer in terms of performance level but our identity under him was always a team that wanted to have a go, that wanted to try and take the game to the opponent and subsequently you saw crowds that reacted to that approach.

Under Des, it's the polar opposite. We don't play with intensity, we don't want to take the game to the opposition. We sit back and, to be honest, so do the crowd. Nothing to do with the standard. Everyone loves a trier and will generally forgive ability if we can see that the players and team are leaving everything out there in terms of trying to achieve the result. I think we very obviously did that under KR, under LM that fire in the belly was slightly diluted but masked by a clear identity and lots of positive results. Under Des, it seems every ounce of passion has been sucked out of the players and been dreadfully exposed by chaotic tactics, no clear playing style, an awful points return culminating in falling from the automatics to 7th.

So why is the atmosphere exactly the same under DB as it was KR?

Then I think I'm pretty much in agreement with you. The performance on the pitch is the main thing that'll contribute for sure, but we can do more ourselves (says the 50 year old who doesn't get involved that much these days... 🤣)
👍 I’m 56 sit in the SSU, but got told to shut-up/stop singing/trying to get the crowd going by one of our own supporter’s because I was apparently shouting in their ear! in the away game at Rovers! This was in the standing bit on the side of the pitch. Could’ve accepted more if it was in the seats behind the goal (well, probably not). My 30 year old son left at half time because it was so s**t both on the pitch and off it. Could you imagine that happening with Pompey or Rovers fans?That summed it up for me!!

Last edited:
Yeah, bunch of bastards, paying to go to games and for season tickets, buying merch, some travelling the length and breadth of the country - call themselves supporters? Pathetic.

Perhaps they should support a club in a two team league?
Well many support their 'big team' in the plastic premiershit I guess.

That may well be the case .
But why was the feeling of hopelessness, never as bad under KR-even in his last 12 months ?
Apart from the Swindon games,FA Cup and Lge Cup games against Swansea,Man City etc the place only has a buzz if we are on top .

I also know of at least four 28-30 year olds who are season ticket holders and were/try to be regular supporters both home & away, but are not all that fussed if they miss games/can be bothered as they’ve lost enthusiasm. This is down to the overall experience, but is mainly down to the dour performances. Having said that, they also go to watch England play, so I guess you can only take so much of a bad thing!!

But why was the feeling of hopelessness, never as bad under KR-even in his last 12 months ?

For me it 100% was. It was worse.

From half-time in the first Blackpool play off game to be precise.

I don't think it is though, I can never recall it being this flat. KR's last half a season was undoubtedly chaotic and a bit of a car crash but in the main of his tenure I thought the atmospheres were pretty good. I thought there was a bit more of a buzz too under Manning. For whatever reason, it just hasn't taken off under Des. I actually think that first game against Cheltenham was a real punch on the nose, it went unexpectedly flat from day one and I don't think it's ever got going. We've been on a steady decline since then and the atmosphere has fallen away with performances.

I don't think it is though, I can never recall it being this flat. KR's last half a season was undoubtedly chaotic and a bit of a car crash but in the main of his tenure I thought the atmospheres were pretty good. I thought there was a bit more of a buzz too under Manning. For whatever reason, it just hasn't taken off under Des. I actually think that first game against Cheltenham was a real punch on the nose, it went unexpectedly flat from day one and I don't think it's ever got going. We've been on a steady decline since then and the atmosphere has fallen away with performances.

There's obviously personal perception involved but I don't see that the rate of complaint re atmosphere on social media has really changed.

I'm not a fan who thinks "I pay so I can say what I like.", I never would dream of swearing at a player or being abusive. However, I really hope you can understand how frustrating this level of football is to supporters, having seen what the team can do earlier in the season.

I'm ok with losing (if I wasn't, god knows how I could have been a Yellow for 20 years), but I refuse to clap the players off after a shocking and headless performance.

I don't really buy the "we are supporters, we support" argument either. Two of the best posters on here (Colin B and RyanioBirdio) are clearly huge supporters whilst also holding the club to account. We cannot mindlessly support what we see on and off the pitch because "we are supporters", part of being a supporter is demanding the best from the club.

I would not be surprised at all if Ryanio is correct about OUFC being used as a vehicle for sportswashing and the problems that could bring in the future, I'm also highly, highly concerned that we have a manager on a long-term contract, who we paid a lot of money to get, who seems utterly uninspiring. From what I can tell, the only time we look good is when we abandon the gameplan and go hell for leather.

I'm not having the "just be happy we are up there" argument either. Last season was an absolute joke considering our budget and this season is less than average. What is Stevenage's playing budget? We are doing just about acceptably but no better than that.

I have no doubt you're a nice guy and clearly love the club, but I don't get this thing of berating moaners all the time. People support the club in different ways, we should accept each others point of view and move on rather than every match descending into "moaners v positivity".

I agree with you terms like "Des lovers" is stupid but also fans can't turn a blind eye to problems on and off the pitch like sometimes it seems you want them to.
A very thoughtful post.
I think you have captured the mood of how many supporters feel at this time.

Back
Top Bottom