Stewart Donald to buy Sunderland

I wonder what will happen to Eastleigh? The next Rushden and Diamonds?

I know Stuart has been more than kind to us over the years but if I was a Sunderland fan I think I would be very underwhelmed by this.
Eastleigh are apparently losing £37K a week so who is going to buy them? How is a bottom half conference team losing this amount of money? His list of managerial appointments is less than impressive.

I would say maybe we could benefit from the odd loan signing from them but I doubt we'd take any of their 1st team at the moment.......
it's a shame SD has invested in another club - and a club in our division. Hard not to wish him luck though as he's Oxford through & through.....

Guess this will spell the end to SD’s involvement with OxVox as he will be at a direct competitor club (and not have the time either!!)

Interesting that compared to the Sartori - OUFC deal, where apparently Donald was just providing an introduction, with the Sunderland takeover he is heading up the consortium, and as he is having to give up his ownership of Eastleigh, he will presumably be holding more than the 10% allowable limit for clubs?

Never the easiest area to attract players even when in the top flight,Will either be another Blackburn/Wigan or Bury....Be interesting to see how many of the fans stay with the club.

Interesting that compared to the Sartori - OUFC deal, where apparently Donald was just providing an introduction, with the Sunderland takeover he is heading up the consortium, and as he is having to give up his ownership of Eastleigh, he will presumably be holding more than the 10% allowable limit for clubs?
Does that inc northants

Having met Stuart & the Donald family a few times in the past I can only wish Stuart well. It must be a very exciting time for him. Sunderland is a massive football club.

However from an OUFC point of view Sunderland are just another one of our League 1 rivals, as supporters all our energy, passion and enthusiasm must directed towards our club not worrying about Appleton, Wilder or whoever, intriguing though it is.

The clubs coming down from the Championship will have huge advantage financially but pressure comes with that as well. Continue to support Robinson in sorting out the mess Clotet left behind and push for a top half/play-off position.

As for players like Ledson, Nelson & Eastwood, there will inevitably be enquiries and bids made in the summer, as we will make enquiries and bids for other clubs players. For what it’s worth I’d be very surprised if Ledson was still here next season.

We have a very capable manager in place who knows the division and knows what he wants. Keep calm and carry on.

I know Sunderland will have their parachute payment from the Premier League, but do Burton get one from the Championship? I've never heard of that before, is it right?

Good luck to Stuart - he always seemed like a nice guy, and had our clubs interest at heart. Heck of a job he's got on his hands now, mind.

However, if you look at the teams that have been automatically promoted in our two years in League One - Bolton, Sheffield United, Wigan & Blackburn - they have all been stocked with Championship players on Championship wages. And none of them have had even close to the resources that Sunderland will have next year with their 2nd season parachute payments (which under the new PL TV deal are colossal) and 30,000 crowds.

Yes, Sunderland are wasting a ton of money on bad players that they seemingly can't get rid of. But assuming at least some of those contracts are expiring, their buying power will dwarf anyone who's ever played in the third tier of English football.

If they hire a competent manager (be it MApp, or someone else) then I would have them 10/1 on for automatic promotion.

Bolton, Birmingham & Reading would also have a big financial advantage over us as well. Burton wouldn't though.....they'll fit back into the middle of the pack financially.

If Sunderland get map they will cruise league one next season, providing they get rid of a cockroach like Rodwell. Cont see map putting up with him staying at home on 60k a week cos he doesn't want to play. They have some absolutely scary young lads coming through just need a manager whose gory the guts to stick them in

Burton might not be going down. They have fight and could well stay up next season

Further to talk on this thread about the effects that Donald buying Sunderland might have on us. If Gerrard gets the Rangers job we’ll have some serious competition for any further youngsters from Liverpool’s academy!

Further to talk on this thread about the effects that Donald buying Sunderland might have on us. If Gerrard gets the Rangers job we’ll have some serious competition for any further youngsters from Liverpool’s academy!
I wouldn't necessarily think so. As we have seen from a few players, the Scottish premier is not a strong league. Hemmings was second top goalscorer in that league before he came to us and then struggled. Marv on his day was very good but wasn't a world beater. I think sending youngsters up their wouldn't give the parent clubs much to judge on. If anything rangers will end up getting liverpools second string who dont get a game. Danny ings for example I could see going there on loan.

Let’s ultimately hope that Sunderland’s gain wasn’t our loss.

Very true. And, it also begs the question, which won't get answered, what was the impediment that stopped DE selling to Sartori. ( I am making an assumption that "International Consortium" includes said gentleman)

Stewart Donald has been a very good friend of our club and has now taken his substantial funds elsewhere. His business acumen and footballing knowledge will now benefit Sunderland FC. "Bothered" is not the word that comes to my mind.
The Donald family have been a very good friend of OUFC.

Good luck Stuart - you are parachuting into one of the hottest cauldrons of football rivalry areas in the country & you will be in the spotlight 24/7 from the Black Cats fans - hope you can handle it?
He copes with living in Long Hanborough ok.

• React
Reactions: MJB
I would say maybe we could benefit from the odd loan signing from them but I doubt we'd take any of their 1st team at the moment.......
it's a shame SD has invested in another club - and a club in our division. Hard not to wish him luck though as he's Oxford through & through.....
& North Leigh FC.

Back
Top Bottom