Stewart Donald to buy Sunderland

Must admit to being very disappointed Stewart has never been able to take us over. Don’t want to judge Tiger just yet, but I know I’d feel a lot more positive about the long term future of the club under Stewart (and Sartori).
fair point, well made.

We have to remember that Sunderland would have been one of the favourites to go straight back up last season. The parachute payment is huge but they also have massive debts and playing contracts. Rodwell alone is on £3m a year!

Although you would still put them as favourites to go up, there are no guarantees. Anything but Champions next season will be a failure so it will be far from plain sailing.

I think I'd rather be in our basket case than theirs!!
i dont argee, the debts are now zero. ellis short wrote off the all loans.

i think its a great deal for SD and his board. great team of young players coming though. i think they will be favourites for promotion esp if CW is installed as manager.

Considering CM business is PR, I find it odd the SD attended didnt attend the match wearing a AFC Sunderland club tie.

We have to remember that Sunderland would have been one of the favourites to go straight back up last season. The parachute payment is huge but they also have massive debts and playing contracts. Rodwell alone is on £3m a year!

Although you would still put them as favourites to go up, there are no guarantees. Anything but Champions next season will be a failure so it will be far from plain sailing.

I think I'd rather be in our basket case than theirs!!
i dont argee, the debts are now zero. ellis short wrote off the all loans.

i think its a great deal for SD and his board. great team of young players coming though. i think they will be favourites for promotion esp if CW is installed as manager.

Not sure that’s true. Short has wrote off debt owed to him, seems they still owe a fair bit to banks.
https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/20...ial-report-should-supporters-still-be-worried

So the question has to be whether Short has covered the rest of the debts, is the club "debt free", or just debt free to Short? As mentioned above, there are or were significant bank / finance loans as well as balances of transfer fees due, which could be anywhere near £100M.

So the question has to be whether Short has covered the rest of the debts, is the club "debt free", or just debt free to Short? As mentioned above, there are or were significant bank / finance loans as well as balances of transfer fees due, which could be anywhere near £100M.
If he was going to just give away the club you would gave thought he would run a fire sale to recoup as much of the money as possible before leaving (see DE a year ago!)

The idea that he would write off £50m+ owed to himself, and pay off the bank, and leave all the assets is frankly insane!

SD and others may have agreed to pay the bank off as part of the buy out, which may leave the club debt free. But they would still likely need to see a return to the PL or several years in the Championship before they will see a return on their investment.

Added to that will be the need to pay off existing contracts or look to motivate those remaining. Its one thing to say Rodwell will see his pay cut to £44k a week, but that's still best part of £2.5m a year on someone who doesn't give a toss.

Fair play if it comes off as the potential is huge, but this season really will be s**t or bust, and we know how Charlie hates that!

Last edited:
Players nobody wants on fixed contracts with ludicrous wages are hardly assets old lad.

Sink, mackems. Sink.

If he was going to just give away the club you would gave thought he would run a fire sale to recoup as much of the money as possible before leaving (see DE a year ago!)

The idea that he would write off £50m+ owed to himself, and pay off the bank, and leave all the assets is frankly insane!

SD and others may have agreed to pay the bank off as part of the buy out, which may leave the club debt free. But they would still likely need to see a return to the PL or several years in the Championship before they will see a return on their investment.

Added to that will be the need to pay off existing contracts or look to motivate those remaining. Its one thing to say Rodwell will see his pay cut to £44k a week, but that's still best part of £2.5m a year on someone who doesn't give a toss.

Fair play if it comes off as the potential is huge, but this season really will be s**t or bust, and we know how Charlie hates that!

From mustard cords, to red trousers, to purple strides.... it may be brown pantaloons next,(optional bicycle clips) just to be safe ?:unsure:

Last edited:

Hmm but we all know how much Donald and Methven hated the idea of paying off historic debt to Lenagan. They offered £1M for the £8M owed, so are they and their consortium taking on tens of millions of bank loans and other historic debt at Sunderland?

I suppose the SOL is valued at £123M but it's not ready cash that you can use to pay the bills, unless of course they are planning to sell and leaseback the stadium?

Hmm but we all know how much Donald and Methven hated the idea of paying off historic debt to Lenagan. They offered £1M for the £8M owed, so are they and their consortium taking on tens of millions of bank loans and other historic debt at Sunderland?

I suppose the SOL is valued at £123M but it's not ready cash that you can use to pay the bills, unless of course they are planning to sell and leaseback the stadium?

Maybe they're nasty asset strippers!!!

But, this must be the biggest one time opportunity in years to buy a fallen giant at their lowest.

I wish SD all the luck in the world. As a yellow who let his actions(money) not words do the talking with regards to Oxford iI hope it works out for him. However to make this successful he not only needs automatic promotion back to the championship but the return to the promised land of the premiership and I cannot see how this will be easily achieved.

But, this must be the biggest one time opportunity in years to buy a fallen giant at their lowest.
Yes agree with this Mark.

Regardless though it is one hell of a gamble if there is a significant of bank debt still outstanding.

If that has been cleared, then maybe much less of a gamble and if it fails there will be somebody else willing to take on a fallen giant ...

Back
Top Bottom