Stewart Donald anyone.....

Clearly Appleton is a very good manager/coach, but I’m not so sure he’s the type of manager who will go into a club mid season and immediately turn results around, he’s more of a team/club builder, somebody for the long term rather than someone to save their season.
Yes agree with that.
Whereas Wilder is the kind if manager who can immediately turn round a clubs fortunes, MAPP wants his own players and takes time to grow a team and club.
With regard to Sunderland Ross was clearly a risky appointment and time will tell whether it has worked out or not

I think it already hasn't - last season was nowhere near.

For someone who got through something like five managers in five years at Eastleigh , they are very patient with Ross. Replacing a manager must be relatively low cost at our level . As their aim is very obviously a short term sell , what is the point in giving more time to a manager who can so far this season only get his squad drawing games and last year not that close to the automatic promotion places ?

So it’s a half cocked mixup between keeping faith with a manager in the belief he will turn things around (ie a medium term plan) in which case they should have got Appleton. Or a short term plan where they should have sacked Ross probably about ten games to go last season.

Have to say, reading those Sunderland threads is starting to make me like the club a little more. Some humour and a surprising amount of humility. Less arrogance than I expected...….

Course their central argument is the same as we used to have on here when we were languishing in League Two or the Conference.
Are they failing because their owners are not investing enough, or because their manager's incompetent?

I'd tend to lean towards the latter...….can't see Ross surviving long if they don't start winning...…..

Stuart Donald and Charlie for me all day long, both from Oxfordshire both sensible and business minded and very capable of moving OUFC forward.
Rather than a bunch of so called faceless Millionaires on a free lunch - Show us how powerful you really are don’t just sit there and watch our OXFORD UNITED became even deeper in the sh-t and the once proud club the laughing stock it’s becoming.
I for one support the club and hope for a little success but after 50 years of some success I am now considering the possibility of cashing in my season tickets if possible to get off this Train of ruin bumping along whilst unable to even sign sufficient senior players to start the season, your thoughts gentlemen?

How is the Oxford United Train of Ruin doing at the moment?

Would you really want to swap our current situation for the one at Sunderland?

How is the Oxford United Train of Ruin doing at the moment?

Would you really want to swap our current situation for the one at Sunderland?
Not quite sure I get that.
Own you own 30k plus seater stadium, own your training ground, big turn over, yes they have debts but doesn't all clubs.

They have what YOU aspire for us to have, after 2 games you think we are in a better place because of results, I have no affiliation with SAFC owners but I can't really see why you wouldn't rather be in their position than ours.

Not quite sure I get that.
Own you own 30k plus seater stadium, own your training ground, big turn over, yes they have debts but doesn't all clubs.

They have what YOU aspire for us to have, after 2 games you think we are in a better place because of results, I have no affiliation with SAFC owners but I can't really see why you wouldn't rather be in their position than ours.
Because despite owning their own stadium and training ground, and having £100m in debt written off by the previous owner, they are still hemorrhaging money at an alarming rate.

In addition, they have bought extremely badly and have a team that lacks pace and an cohesive idea of how to play. They have bought stars rather than a team. That bought SD some success at Eastleigh but won't succeed the further up the ladder you go.

Of course, we are still losing money ourselves and have no assets beyond the players. We haven't got a board who engage via twitter or deliver a clear business plan. But actions speak louder than words, and those behind the scenes are slowly sorting out this club from top to bottom. We have a youth set up like we've not seen in decades, a training ground and facilities that give the whole club everything they need (and may well be ours soon!), we have improved community links, reaching out to local businesses, and we have built a first team squad with real talent but also a real work ethic that can bring the success we all crave. And that's just the stuff we can see. What we can't see is the work being done to finally bring us our own stadium and deliver sustainable football for the future.

So, would I swap this for what Sunderland have? Not in a million years!!

https://www.propertyweek.com/news-analysis/who-owns-premier-league-stadiums/5090883.article

An interesting point being debated. For what it is worth, in my opinion owning your own ground or having an influential percentage of the freehold is fundamental to long term stability at a football club. The attached article although slightly out of date, but it is worth a read as it shows who owns Premiership teams grounds in the season 17/18. City councils seem to play a major part in some clubs.

I think our current owners are doing a very commendable job in difficult financial circumstances. Given our turnover we are extremely restricted compared to clubs in the Premiership and Championship

Because despite owning their own stadium and training ground, and having £100m in debt written off by the previous owner, they are still hemorrhaging money at an alarming rate.

In addition, they have bought extremely badly and have a team that lacks pace and an cohesive idea of how to play. They have bought stars rather than a team. That bought SD some success at Eastleigh but won't succeed the further up the ladder you go.

Of course, we are still losing money ourselves and have no assets beyond the players. We haven't got a board who engage via twitter or deliver a clear business plan. But actions speak louder than words, and those behind the scenes are slowly sorting out this club from top to bottom. We have a youth set up like we've not seen in decades, a training ground and facilities that give the whole club everything they need (and may well be ours soon!), we have improved community links, reaching out to local businesses, and we have built a first team squad with real talent but also a real work ethic that can bring the success we all crave. And that's just the stuff we can see. What we can't see is the work being done to finally bring us our own stadium and deliver sustainable football for the future.

Good post. You undersold the youth set up a bit. It's not decades but ever. We've never had anything close to the current set up (scale, staff, facilities, strategy, culture - the whole thing is unprecedented.) I wouldn't swap with Sunderland either, they wouldn't swap with us, Stanley fans wouldn't swap with either I'm sure. Not better just different and that's the total magic and beauty of English football compared to anywhere else in the world.

I still think you have your rose tinted glasses on
Their youth set up is second to none, so comparing the two is a non starter.
As for the training ground, are we not looking to own our own in the near future, the situation cant be that great if we are trying to move already.
You keep on about moving to a shiny new ground, will any ground the owners put on the land they own be as good as the stadium of light, and that's a very big ask.
You might "crave" success, but I would like to know at what cost to this football club, SAFC have got a lot of problems but most of them are out in the open mostly through supporter pressure, can you ever see with these owners the transparency to really know what's happening?
Then there is you who tries to shout anyone down who raises points of criticism, on the surface we are improving and hopefully going forward but I would certainly take SAFC overall position of where the club is at now.

Am I blinkered? Biased? Wearing rose tinted glasses? Damn right.

But I'm not suggesting that everything is wonderful at Oxford and awful elsewhere but I do think some are quick to knock what we have, when the grass is far from greener elsewhere.

We're starting from a pretty low base but are building for the future. Sunderland have a fantastic stadium and 10's of thousands of fans but there is a certain arrogance (from fans and the boardroom) which does nothing but set themselves up for a greater fall.

Nothing will bring me more joy than to see us succeed this year at the expense of Sunderland, especially if that leaves Charlie crying into his chinos!!!

Am I blinkered? Biased? Wearing rose tinted glasses? Damn right.

But I'm not suggesting that everything is wonderful at Oxford and awful elsewhere but I do think some are quick to knock what we have, when the grass is far from greener elsewhere.

We're starting from a pretty low base but are building for the future. Sunderland have a fantastic stadium and 10's of thousands of fans but there is a certain arrogance (from fans and the boardroom) which does nothing but set themselves up for a greater fall.

Nothing will bring me more joy than to see us succeed this year at the expense of Sunderland, especially if that leaves Charlie crying into his chinos!!!
So you wouldn’t swap our position for SAFC than your support for Oxford, I have no problem with that you should of said at the start instead of trying to give spurious reasons, I wouldn’t swap either as no matter how good or bad our team or the other teams was good you support the team.

Back
Top Bottom