Non-League Southend: When Will The Agony End ?

Statement from their owner. He comes across as an arrogant man who doesn’t feel like he has done anything wrong. How many winding up orders have they had under his ownership since 2008?!

I'll never forget the day they gave us a footballing lesson in what is known as The Championship, the Ricky Otto game. 4-0 at half-time, ending up Southend 5 Oxford 1. Not seen an Oxford team blown away quite like in that first half.

Hopefully something can be sorted and the club start to rebuild and get back to somewhere near where they should be.
Conference south ?
Hackney marshes ?
That’s where they should be.

Ended up 6-1 !!!
Almost left at half time but being foolish and young didn't and watched till the bitter end.
Tommy Mooney also starred for them that day !
Yes, of course, think I was suffering shellshock by the end (I also stuck it out until the final whistle). Then 3 days later we followed the lads away to Nottingham Forest and they battled a creditable 0-0 draw - the contrasting emotions following OUFC.

Yes, of course, think I was suffering shellshock by the end (I also stuck it out until the final whistle). Then 3 days later we followed the lads away to Nottingham Forest and they battled a creditable 0-0 draw - the contrasting emotions following OUFC.

That is what makes following a team like Oxford so good. Some of the best away days were unexpected victories or battling draws but for them to be so good you had to suffer the rubbish. And likewise I was at those games.

Terrible day, although we had won on the previous 6 visits! As has been observed previously, topped off by Penney arguing with our own fans and one of our number on this forum lobbing a huge flare/firework onto the pitch, which I thought was a dickhead move at the time and time hasn’t mellowed that view.

Terrible day, although we had won on the previous 6 visits! As has been observed previously, topped off by Penney arguing with our own fans and one of our number on this forum lobbing a huge flare/firework onto the pitch, which I thought was a dickhead move at the time and time hasn’t mellowed that view.

I remember having a long argument with somebody else in the crowd that day over Penney. Never argue normally. :)

I was there for a 6-0 or maybe 6-1 drubbing. The next day I was having a Sunday lunchtime pint in my local and who should walk in but Malcolm Crosby, assistant to Dennis Smith at the time. Plucking up courage I gave him a few thoughts on the game, his reaction was to ask if I was at the game? It took the wind out of his sails when I said I was.
How circumstances change in football
I believe this was the game SteMerritt is refering to above so maybe 5-1

One of my greatest ever performances at roots hall that day

I remember looking at the away fans and thinking “these guys have no idea what a real left back looks like so I’m going to take advantage and teach them a thing or two”

That was the weekend Saint and Greavsie elevated me to deity status on the Central Match live.

I was also awarded a bottle of sparkling quince for my motm performance

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can’t see them surviving. Their owner seems like he is just paying lip service and just kicking the can down the road until it falls down a drain.

Really feel for the Southend fans as they are a brilliant fan base.

What does the owner gain out of this? He has been there a while, always seemed shady with being in the court over unpaid tax bills regularly but until recently he managed to keep them in league one, why has he let it get so bad over the last couple of years? Does he want the ground?

What does the owner gain out of this? He has been there a while, always seemed shady with being in the court over unpaid tax bills regularly but until recently he managed to keep them in league one, why has he let it get so bad over the last couple of years? Does he want the ground?

He has owned the ground since he bought it and the club in 1998.
What he wants is a new ground & development, but for a variety of reasons he's never been able to get that moving.

He comes across to me as a bad Firoz Kassam.
And when I say that, I don't mean that Firoz was a good football chairman - he obviously was utterly atrocious - but he is clearly a good, or at least very wily and shameless, property developer; because he did what almost noone is able to do which is make himself a bunch of money from the purchase of a struggling football league club without any success on the pitch.

What he wants is a new ground & development, but for a variety of reasons he's never been able to get that moving.

He comes across to me as a bad Firoz Kassam.
And when I say that, I don't mean that Firoz was a good football chairman - he obviously was utterly atrocious - but he is clearly a good, or at least very wily and shameless, property developer; because he did what almost noone is able to do which is make himself a bunch of money from the purchase of a struggling football league club without any success on the pitch.

So he has got tired of trying to get a new ground and will be happy to see the club go under to redevelop the ground without the hassle of the football side of things?

25 years is a hell of a long time to own the club and then do this, it would be as if Kassam was still the owner rather than a parasite.

So he has got tired of trying to get a new ground and will be happy to see the club go under to redevelop the ground without the hassle of the football side of things?

25 years is a hell of a long time to own the club and then do this, it would be as if Kassam was still the owner rather than a parasite.
What year did that parasite cease to be our chairman?

I thought he sold Roots Hall to Tesco some 10-20 years ago and was building a new stadium complex which would be funded by surrounding commercial and housing development.

They put all their eggs in the basket of a new ground at Fossetts Farm funded by the sale of Roots Hall for housing/retail and cutting a deal with the developers around Fossetts. https://fossetts.co.uk/

IIRC in 1999 Roots Hall was sold for £4 million to Roots Hall Limited to "clear" a £4 million debt - and people say about "numbers on spreadsheets"? Think their rent was around £400k pa.

They started the planning in 1998 ........... 25 years later not a spade has touched the soil.

At one stage the steelworks for the new ground were in storage not far away and could be seen on Google earth........ probably been weighed in for scrap by now.

Yes - I`m still texting my friends from down there. :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom