League Two Last throw of the dice for Southend

Peterdev

I see Southend have reappointed Phil Brown with just six games to go.
There must be decent odds on him getting Southend United relegated and also seeing his old team Swindon go down too

I see Southend have reappointed Phil Brown with just six games to go.
There must be decent odds on him getting Southend United relegated and also seeing his old team Swindon go down too

Considering he was one of the those who put the building blocks in place, along with Ron Martin, for their slide down the leagues it would be appropriate for him to take them down into the NL.

Considering he was one of the those who put the building blocks in place, along with Ron Martin, for their slide down the leagues it would be appropriate for him to take them down into the NL.
Is that right? Southend are normally Div 4. He was Ok for a while I think, certainly beat us a few times.

They didn’t just beat people us, they often walloped us

Hope they don't go down , got a soft spot for them. Decent away day too especially in the summer.

I thought we had played them in the Conference but it looks like it was the FA Cup.
Looks like we have played them in tiers 2,3 and 4 of the football league, definitely a team we play quite a lot.
So I think they have never been relegated out of the Football League ... There is always a first time.

Had some very, very "messy" weekends when I resided in that neck of the woods.

Anyone remember the thunder flash? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Is that right? Southend are normally Div 4. He was Ok for a while I think, certainly beat us a few times.

He left a lot of deadwood in the squad on big contracts and the dressing room was made up of lots of cliques iirc. I remember plenty of happy Southend fans when the Orange one went and not many at all disappointed. Subsequent managers never recovered from the mess the dressing room/club was in imo. That said, Ron Martin is the man most to blame.

Last edited:
Aren't they suppose to start building a new 60 million pound 21k capacity stadium too. 🤔

They’ve been trying to move for 50 years plus. As a teenager living in Chelmsford in the sixties I used to go to Roots Hall and the talk was a move to Basildon
That area must have plenty of sites for a football stadium?

Had some very, very "messy" weekends when I resided in that neck of the woods.

Anyone remember the thunder flash? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Worked there for 14 months staying down, Foresters was always a preferred haunt for the pound in the pot kind of entertainment!

I thought we had played them in the Conference but it looks like it was the FA Cup.
Looks like we have played them in tiers 2,3 and 4 of the football league, definitely a team we play quite a lot.
So I think they have never been relegated out of the Football League ... There is always a first time.
Yes, played them 55 times in three of the four divisions of the FL.
Team we've played most is Portsmouth - 70 times in all four divisions.
Played Luton in 5 divisions, but not nearly as often.

Southend are going the way a lot of clubs will go if things don't improve with the lack of fans because of covid, wouldn't it be nice if the premiership could cough up some more just so that league clubs could survive longer if things don't go to plan with the easing of the lockdown and allowing fans back to the maximum.

Back
Top Bottom