League Two Last throw of the dice for Southend

Yes, played them 55 times in three of the four divisions of the FL.
Team we've played most is Portsmouth - 70 times in all four divisions.
Played Luton in 5 divisions, but not nearly as often.

There is something I like about playing teams when we haven’t met for a while. Particularly if we are in a different division to the last time we played. So in recent years we’ve got to play Luton, Bristol rovers , Plymouth, Portsmouth several times. Whereas in the premier league it’s only 3 new teams each season and many of those will be bouncing back from the year before.

Fossets Farm was/is the proposed site for the new stadium.
That was reliant on Sainsburys buying Roots Hall for a store, that collapsed.
They now have some investors on board who maybe able to fund it ..... but....

Starting to sound familiar?

There is something I like about playing teams when we haven’t met for a while. Particularly if we are in a different division to the last time we played. So in recent years we’ve got to play Luton, Bristol rovers , Plymouth, Portsmouth several times. Whereas in the premier league it’s only 3 new teams each season and many of those will be bouncing back from the year before.
A (proper) game against Fulham would be good, a club we've managed to avoid very well for quite a number of years now.

I have never seen us play Fulham! Don’t recall Preston either
No, they have been a while as well. A single promotion would bag both of those next year, if we hadn't blown it over the last month.

A (proper) game against Fulham would be good, a club we've managed to avoid very well for quite a number of years now.

I have seen Fulham play at Hartlepool away, after our game at Newcastle was called off late and the London road coaches were turned away from Darlington, more times than I have seen them play Oxford in 30 years of going. Always fancied an away game at Craven Cottage but we never even get drawn against them in the cups.

I have seen Fulham play at Hartlepool away, after our game at Newcastle was called off late and the London road coaches were turned away from Darlington, more times than I have seen them play Oxford in 30 years of going. Always fancied an away game at Craven Cottage but we never even get drawn against them in the cups.
Was there also! Not often that Oxford fans out sing BOTH teams!!

I have been to see Oxford vs Fulham. It was in the Second Division, near the start of the 1984-85 season.
I couldn't remember much though except we were in the seats for a change. So I looked it up and found this gem.
Great goals from Aldridge and Hamilton and look who is no.10 for Fulham.
Also a really interesting interview with Bald Eagle after the match. Says he can't see us moving to a new ground!

Last edited:
Actually the first ever game I went to was Fulham v Man U in the second division! A boy at school was a Man U fan and persuaded a bunch of us to go.

Back
Top Bottom