Scunthorpe game!

Just get your head around the fact that the "Ultras" are just supporters the same as the rest of us that should not be singled out for "special treatment".
They should just buckle up and support the club within the rules that also apply to all of us.

This forum never fails to amaze me..

It’s an excellent move by the club. It’ll both increase the buzz on the day and also mean that x hundred kids will be leaving the ground with a memento which helps bond them with our club. More of this please.

Plus, if the club engaged positively and proactively with the Ultras, they’d probably also get displays, banners and atmosphere that money can’t buy. It’s been better for the last couple of games and a bit more encouragement from the club could lead to us fans using PayPal donations to create the visual extravaganzas which typified the early years of DE’s reign.

I’d implore our MD to reach out to our most enthusiastic and important group of supporters and help make this a reality.

Just get your head around the fact that the "Ultras" are just supporters the same as the rest of us that should not be singled out for "special treatment".
They should just buckle up and support the club within the rules that also apply to all of us.

Special treatment - no absolutely, everyone need to comply with rules that the club have to enforce.

But

Different fans want different things from football, to keep everyone coming and attract more u need to be able to work with and entice all different types. Even those who don’t sing or stand, will tell u they like a good atmosphere. Atmosphere is improved with colour and noise, which is what the ultras bring to the table. So while not being given privileges, as much as possible should be done to assist them and the money and hours they put into making matchdays more enjoyable.

Yes I get that...... however, when they frequently behave like the proverbial lager louts, then they are creating their own problems.
It gives the Mixters of the world carte blanche to come down on them.
They then react to the provocation they instigated and throw their toys out of the pram.
They need to do a bit of reflective thinking, football has changed (not for the better I hasten to add) and they need to be adaptable to the Mixters et al and play them at their own game.....for their own benefit.

This forum never fails to amaze me..

I`m so pleased. When you are a grown up and have been there, done that and learnt something you will still be amazed that some folk point out the blindingly obvious. :)
In this day & age of social media, Youtube ;) and 1,000 mobiles appearing at any opportunity it is very very easy to be caught over stepping the mark.

It’s an excellent move by the club. It’ll both increase the buzz on the day and also mean that x hundred kids will be leaving the ground with a memento which helps bond them with our club. More of this please.

Plus, if the club engaged positively and proactively with the Ultras, they’d probably also get displays, banners and atmosphere that money can’t buy. It’s been better for the last couple of games and a bit more encouragement from the club could lead to us fans using PayPal donations to create the visual extravaganzas which typified the early years of DE’s reign.

I’d implore our MD to reach out to our most enthusiastic and important group of supporters and help make this a reality.

Except that they are NOT “just supporters the same as the rest of us.”

They get to the ground early to set up while the rest of are still at home or drinking.

They stay late to take the flags down when everyone else has gone home.

They bring colour to a stadium which is essentially three massive slabs of concrete.

They create displays in their own spare time which have made some of our biggest games in recent memory extra special.

They sing for 90 minutes when the vast majority of fans sing for ten seconds when we get a corner (at best).

They encourage younger fans who will soon be in their teens to get excited about their hometown club by making watching football an exciting experience, rather than two hours being sat in the cold listening to old men complain and moan that nothing is as good as the London Road/the Manor/Headington United.

It’s such a head scratcher that so many of ours fans bemoan the move to a sterile ground, the lack of atmosphere and where the next generation of fans are coming from. And yet in this group of thirty or so guys, we have the embodiment of what we need and how we need to grow the fan base.

They should be supported as they help make the club special rather than constantly criticised and discouraged.

Last edited:

Except that they are NOT “just supporters the same as the rest of us.”

They get to the ground early to set up while the rest of are still at home or drinking.

They stay late to take the flags down when everyone else has gone home.

They bring colour to a stadium which is essentially three massive slabs of concrete.

They create displays in their own spare time which have made some of our biggest games in recent memory extra special.

They sing for 90 minutes when the vast majority of fans sing for ten seconds when we get a corner (at best).

They encourage younger fans who will soon be in their teens to get excited about their hometown club by making watching football an exciting experience, rather than two hours being sat in the cold listening to old men complain and moan that nothing is as good as the London Road/the Manor/Headington United.

It’s such a head scratcher that so many of ours fans bemoan the move to a sterile ground, the lack of atmosphere and where the next generation of fans are coming from. And yet in this group of thirty or so guys, we have the embodiment of what we need and how we need to grow the fan base.

They should be supported as they help make the club special rather than constantly criticised and discouraged.

Well said sir, well said

Let's just get some bodies through the turnstiles and support OUR team Friday!!

Yes I get that...... however, when they frequently behave like the proverbial lager louts, then they are creating their own problems.
They then react to the provocation they instigated and throw their toys out of the pram.
They need to do a bit of reflective thinking, football has changed (not for the better I hasten to add) and they need to be adaptable to the Mixters et al and play them at their own game.....for their own benefit.

First reading I thought this was a bit harsh but then having re-read I get what is being said. We all want the atmosphere and the banners etc but, not at any price. If there is an agreed position for the Ultras and they can do what they do, great. However, having been to many away games I have been sorely irritated by groups arriving late and then pushing their way to gather together with little respect shown to those already in situ. Yes, we could move but, and this has been discussed before, a lot of grounds are now enforcing the allocated seating nonsense. I have financially supported, and will again, the funding to create the flags and banners but in return, perhaps the Ultras could recognise that others support in a different manner to them and try and accommodate without the flounces/toys out of prams responses.
Once upon a time, I was young as well and spent many happy days in the London road oblivious to the consequences of our collective actions so I do understand.
The sooner we can get "safe standing" instigated the better. (as long as I can still have my seat please!)

Don't get me started on all of this political correctness gone mad!!!

Could be a twenty pager........................

Why ban pit girls? I think it’s sexist not to have pit men as well!
Why can a woman dye there hair but if a man does it it’s sneered at?
Why shouldn’t men be able to walk around wearing make up?
How come most prostitutes are women?
How come male athletes are able to run, throw and jump faster, further, higher and longer!

Difficult game this one. They have some really good players for this level.
Their two wide men Hakeeb Adelukan and Josh Morris are a real danger for us.
Hakeeb Adelukan has played 127 games. I am impressed. Only 21. Josh Morris. Someone I rate highly. Ivan Toney too, on loan from Newcastle. Strange they fired rated manager Alexander.

First reading I thought this was a bit harsh but then having re-read I get what is being said. We all want the atmosphere and the banners etc but, not at any price. If there is an agreed position for the Ultras and they can do what they do, great. However, having been to many away games I have been sorely irritated by groups arriving late and then pushing their way to gather together with little respect shown to those already in situ. Yes, we could move but, and this has been discussed before, a lot of grounds are now enforcing the allocated seating nonsense. I have financially supported, and will again, the funding to create the flags and banners but in return, perhaps the Ultras could recognise that others support in a different manner to them and try and accommodate without the flounces/toys out of prams responses.
Once upon a time, I was young as well and spent many happy days in the London road oblivious to the consequences of our collective actions so I do understand.
The sooner we can get "safe standing" instigated the better. (as long as I can still have my seat please!)

Thank you. As somebody probably of a similar age bracket who graduated on the LRT my posting maybe be lost on some! As I said things have changed, football is a sterile, managed experience.......... and woe betide anyone who oversteps the line. I think you have more eloquently expressed my thoughts!!

Who are the "Mixters"? Whats more, who cares who they are?

Don't get me started on all of this political correctness gone mad!!!

Could be a twenty pager........................

Why ban pit girls? I think it’s sexist not to have pit men as well!
Why can a woman dye there hair but if a man does it it’s sneered at?
Why shouldn’t men be able to walk around wearing make up?
How come most prostitutes are women?
How come male athletes are able to run, throw and jump faster, further, higher and longer!

Umm. What?

Nice touch from the club with 2000 flags and also 300 scarfs in the family section.

How can we get more fans to attend on Friday?, the club really needs a noisy turnout!

Another good sign. Kath has just messaged all the local youth teams with a free ticket offer for junior players. Has been a while since we've seen this kind of thing from the club. It was an offer like this in the 15/16 season that got a bunch of my son's friends into supporting OUFC so can vouch for the value of this gesture. Nice work Kath and all :)

Dear Yellow Army

Tomorrow, Good Friday Oxford United take on Scunthorpe United at home in a game which will also mark new manager Karl Robinson’s first home game in charge of the U’s. With the game being played on a Friday and therefore not clashing with local junior games we would like to offer players from local sides FREE ENTRY into our Family Stand for this game.

This offer applies for tickets bought in advance in the Family Stand. We hope that you’ll be able to come along to enjoy the game and join in the activities in the family room below the stand where we have a skills inflatable, arts and crafts as well as a pre-match player visit with a chance to get pictures and autographs on the day!

Is the car park empty yet? or are we going to have to park in amongst the caravans....

Back
Top Bottom