Manager/Coach Robinson. Stay or go?

Should Robinson stay or go?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
To be fair you would have to include KR'S 10 games last season which was.
Won 3
Drawn 2.
Lost 5.
Still a poor record and I still want him out.
I thought about that but as they weren’t his players and they’ve been so many changes I thought it fair to exclude last season. Just as if he’d actually done his job and put together a decent side it would be unfair to include last season.
I’ll do it again to see how it turns out. I still think he’ll have the worst record of any manager in recent history.

Well that’s that then. RO have just said on the 6:30 bulletin that ‘Oxford United manager Karl Robinson will be on this afternoon, looking ahead to Saturdays game at Southend’. Business as usual then, he’s going nowhere.

I suppose, trying my best to be optimistic about everything - there’s no other choice as we can’t change this - if we could somehow fluke a win at Southend, we then have two very winnable matches at home to Northampton and Plymouth. It’s conceivable that we could suddenly be on a three match winning streak which would make things look very different for our ‘illustrious’ manager? I’m clutching at straws I know, but just trying to keep my sanity...

It’s a horrible time to be an Oxford United supporter.

Last edited:
That equates to 25% still by far the lowest return. 21 games 63 available points only 16 achieved. Tiger must give a statement

That’s correct.
We look back on Kemp, Talbot, Wright and Pep as terrible terrible managers. But Robinson has a worse record than all of them.
Points per game %
Diaz 49%
Pep 43%
Tolbot 35%
Wright 29%
Kemp 26%
Robinson 25%

“Very winnable games at home to....”

Just like:

Coventry
Luton
Fleetwood
Accrington
Walsall

And away games like:

Wimbledon
Wycombe

To me, before the start of the season all of those games I’d have expected to have been good enough to get something from.

Of course there would have been the odd draw/loss in there but out of those games they’ve managed 1 point.

What in these winnable games has suggested the other next two home games are actually winnable?

I suppose, trying my best to be optimistic about everything - there’s no other choice as we can’t change this - if we could somehow fluke a win at Southend, we then have two very winnable matches at home to Northampton and Plymouth. It’s conceivable that we could suddenly be on a three match winning streak which would make things look very different for our ‘illustrious’ manager? I’m clutching at straws I know, but just trying to keep my sanity...

It’s a horrible time to be an Oxford United supporter.

We won’t get 6 points from our next two league games, and who cares about the Northampton game in the context of Robinson keeping his job.

We will take a point maximum from Southend and Plymouth, that combined with the rest of the season so far should see him sacked.

• React
Reactions: Ian
I thought about that but as they weren’t his players and they’ve been so many changes I thought it fair to exclude last season. Just as if he’d actually done his job and put together a decent side it would be unfair to include last season.
I’ll do it again to see how it turns out. I still think he’ll have the worst record of any manager in recent history.

Mate, I like what you've done... but you've got to include last seasons games as well, otherwise you could take out the first month of Atkins results before he had a chance to bring in new players (Crosby, Bound etc.), or Wilder before he brought in Batt, Chapman and Clist to replace Clarke, Matt Day and Burnell. You could also disregard Rix's games at the end of 2003-2004 and only include those when he'd built his "team!!!" in the summer, not that it would make much difference!

Not defending Robinson at all, I think he should go, but let's attack him on a level playing field rather than being selective with the numbers to making him look slightly worse than he has actually been.

One last thing, I think you're being very harsh putting Diaz down as a terrible manager with a 50% record... over a full season that would give us 69 points. Over a full League 2 season for the period 2002 to 2006 69 pts would generally get you 8th or 9th and in 2005-2006 would actually have got a team in the play offs.

Last edited:

Sorry just seen that someone else has done it and it still ends up at 25.4%.... bloody hell... so we'd end up with 35 points at the end of the season on that basis! That's one less than Bury last season.

Back in August we were discussing all the players we'd signed (Holmes, Curruther's, Garrbutt, Mackie etc.) and how great they looked on paper, someone said "That's what Bury thought last year".... can that man please give me the lottery numbers for Saturday please... we're on course for within one point of that!!

• React
Robinson is a symptom. Not the cause. Just like Pep before him.

Whoever comes in to replace him (it looks like when rather than if now) will find a club in a state of chronic disorganisation with an absent chairman, a part-time managing director, lines of communication which do not work and a general feeling of ‘er, wtf is going on?!’

I don’t doubt that Robinson has suffered some sort of professional mind block. The patterns of play from the front men are non-existent and we keep our shape only when the players are motivated (Sunderland, Manchester City).

But the chaos that reigns that behind the scenes bears a heavy responsibility for that. It is a cancer that will continue to eat away regardless of who the manager is.

Two months ago Robinson was advised to walk by someone well respected at this level. And it wasn’t because of on-field matters. This club has a reputation now.

The notion that when Robinson goes all will be well again is an absolute fantasy. Until off-the-field issues are resolved, we will continue to fall.

Robinson is a symptom. Not the cause. Just like Pep before him.

Whoever comes in to replace him (it looks like when rather than if now) will find a club in a state of chronic disorganisation with an absent chairman, a part-time managing director, lines of communication which do not work and a general feeling of ‘er, wtf is going on?!’

I don’t doubt that Robinson has suffered some sort of professional mind block. The patterns of play from the front men are non-existent and we keep our shape only when the players are motivated (Sunderland, Manchester City).

But the chaos that reigns that behind the scenes bears a heavy responsibility for that. It is a cancer that will continue to eat away regardless of who the manager is.

Two months ago Robinson was advised to walk by someone well respected at this level. And it wasn’t because of on-field matters. This club has a reputation now.

The notion that when Robinson goes all will be well again is an absolute fantasy. Until off-the-field issues are resolved, we will continue to fall.

How can patterns of play be anything but down to the manager?

If he was in two minds about walking two months ago surely the start to this season would of pushed him?

Wouldn’t shock me if he is just hanging on for a payout though, he has been massively unimpressive compared to how he was last season for me, now just results but professional and attitude wise.

Maybe what you say is true or maybe it’s him getting his excuses in ahead of the sack, from his interviews I wouldn’t say that’s unlikely, he is good at shirking any responsibility.

I will never, ever condone the time wasting tactics on Tuesday. The behaviour of KR & Derry instructing players to feign injury and the berating of ball boys doing their job is an affront to our club and appalling unsportsmanlike conduct.
They must both go, now.

• React
We won’t get 6 points from our next two league games, and who cares about the Northampton game in the context of Robinson keeping his job.

We will take a point maximum from Southend and Plymouth, that combined with the rest of the season so far should see him sacked.

You’re confident,

Mate, I like what you've done... but you've got to include last seasons games as well, otherwise you could take out the first month of Atkins results before he had a chance to bring in new players (Crosby, Bound etc.), or Wilder before he brought in Batt, Chapman and Clist to replace Clarke, Matt Day and Burnell. You could also disregard Rix's games at the end of 2003-2004 and only include those when he'd built his "team!!!" in the summer, not that it would make much difference!

Not defending Robinson at all, I think he should go, but let's attack him on a level playing field rather than being selective with the numbers to making him look slightly worse than he has actually been.

One last thing, I think you're being very harsh putting Diaz down as a terrible manager with a 50% record... over a full season that would give us 69 points. Over a full League 2 season for the period 2002 to 2006 69 pts would generally get you 8th or 9th and in 2005-2006 would actually have got a team in the play offs.
Agree entirely with all of this.
Diaz took over an awful squad and turned it around. He was like Guardiola compared to Clotet and Robinson!!

11 games and 5 points from a possible 33. -12GD. Tiger, sack him now

I’ve already done it. Still only 25% for Robinson.
Yeah you’re right Diaz did a good job. Considering he played with 10 men when he played in son :)
But he was perhaps a good manager at a bad time.

Exactly. Which one is a draw?!
Neither we never seem to do it over Sarfend and Plymouth will turn the season around when they play here and go on a winning streak to where they will be pushing for the play offs while we are languishing at the foot of the table.

Back
Top Bottom