League One Reading FC

I mentioned some of this in the Wycombe Financial Analysis, earlier in the season. See attached.

I've no time at all for Reading and their weird fans, but Wycombe's actions here are ambulance chasing of the highest order, and show Wycombe and their owners up for exactly what they are.

I remember Colin saying that Wycombe owner Rob Couhig turned up in the OUFC boardroom wearing an Hawaiian shirt!

The man lacks class and comes across as an A*****e.

I have some mixed views on this, but the whole affair is tawdry.

I understand the Reading fans will be disturbed by what is happening at their club, including the sale of their training ground, whoever could buy it. I do though question why on earth they even have a training and academy facility of this scale and which has continued to receive so much investment, despite their descent.

Just last summer Reading were celebrating getting CAT 1 academy status back. That's the status mostly afforded to Premier League clubs. For context, Oxford are CAT 3. Reading had been relegated to League One and were pleading poverty. I've also heard Reading fans and commentators (I've dabbled with BBC Radio Berkshire) saying the academy status must not be lost and training and development facilties not diminished or sold off. I'm sorry, but that's just not living in the real world. It's delusions of grandeur. They needed to cut their cloth a bit more appropriately.

As for Wycombe, this is a really scummy, classless thing to do. Is there a deal to be done? Perhaps. Do the numbers on the spreadsheet look enticing? Maybe. But you just don't do it. I suspect those running that club like to see themselves as a 'positive disruptor', but this is simply not how a proper football club acts.

The benefit is Reading's rivalry with us is done, there was a bit of hype but the atmos at both games from both clubs was utter dross.

Wycombe and Reading can satisfy each others need to have a rival now.

Sounds like a foot in the door for a takeover by individuals linked with, but not having invested in, WW.
Would imagine it won't be a merger, they'll just go their separate ways as this guy/company picks off the remains either before or after they are put into administration

Reading are apparently making a 50% loss on the sale just trying to liquidate an asset!

Apparently Wycombe have offered 50% of what Reading paid for their training ground.
IF this goes through Reading will be in an even bigger mess. Their owner really doesn't care less does he?
And all of the buyers that have approached so far have insisted the training ground is part of the deal - so a big **** off to them. Odd Yonge can fire sale the training ground that quickly, but not the whole club.

Wycombe fans not very happy about it. Apparently their training ground near Marlow was taken over in some shady deal a few years ago. A lot of them losing faith in their owner and his dodgy mate who is supposed to be financing the Reading training ground.

covers their bills for the next 2 months then?

I'm with the Reading fans here, I doubt the money will go towards paying the club's running expenses. More likely to go towards paying down some of the debts owed to the owners. He has already separated off the stadium so unless he can sell off players then there are no other assets.

Back
Top Bottom