League Cup Quarter final draw

"It was only last season that Oxford United hosted Manchester City though, with City winning the third-round tie 3-0.
And older City fans will remember the Blues having a few league games with the U's between 1984 and 1998."

This sort of quote from BBC really p!$$es me off. Why is it that only "older City" fans that are able to remember!? It's almost as though non-PL teams don't exist. At least they got our nickname right.

Manchester City team against Southampton :

EIENgg9X0AAYStX

Aguero aside, not one of them would get in our team!!!

"It was only last season that Oxford United hosted Manchester City though, with City winning the third-round tie 3-0.
And older City fans will remember the Blues having a few league games with the U's between 1984 and 1998."

This sort of quote from BBC really p!$$es me off. Why is it that only "older City" fans that are able to remember!? It's almost as though non-PL teams don't exist. At least they got our nickname right.
Seeing as they are looking at a timeframe of between 20 and 35 years ago, then it's not unreasonable to reference older fans. Modern football journalism is shite, but I think you're looking at something that isn't there on this one.

• React
Reactions: m
Man City play on the Sunday before the game so would anticipate this will be played on the Wednesday rather than Tuesday night. As do Man Utd.
With Liverpool game likely to be on at another time I’d guess that Everton Leicester will be the Tuesday TV game and they’d pick us as the lower league side at home for the Wednesday TV game.

Man City play on the Sunday before the game so would anticipate this will be played on the Wednesday rather than Tuesday night. As do Man Utd.
With Liverpool game likely to be on at another time I’d guess that Everton Leicester will be the Tuesday TV game and they’d pick us as the lower league side at home for the Wednesday TV game.
If that’s the case then Man Utd will get picked over us vs city Man Utd have a wider audience so more viewing figures we might be on one of those fishing channels

I really can’t understand the disappointment from some on here. If you get to the later stages of major cup competitions, then you have to expect us to come up against the big guns. They are the best, and take this cup very seriously. If you offered me 5th in the league in November, and a date with Man City in Decembers EFL Cup Quarter Finals id of snapped ya hand off. I don’t know about you lot, but I could quite happily get used to playing City on a regular basis. Brilliant times to be an Oxford United fan.

In some ways it's a decent draw, despite the initial disappointment. Many of our players will have played in last year's game, so there won't quite be the excitement/novelty factor that there was last year. This should help our players concentrate on our more important games. City take this competition more seriously than other PL teams so there'll be no expectation on us to win, it's a free hit really. And the game will be a sell-out.

Gees what is it with some people, you wonder why more fans are not turning up for League games when it's the likes of Accrington, Fleetwood, Rochdale etc and then when we get West Ham and now the Champions and cup holders at home some are underwhelmed.

You've all seen the gap forever widen between those clubs and clubs like ours so the chances of ever playing them in the League are slim to none so enjoy it whilst you can so why all this negative defeatist attitude before a ball is kicked, let's hope the players haven't given up already.

We have players capable of creating chances and unlike last time 4 or 5 who can take them also...it's a one off cup game against the champions and cup holders at Home if these games can't excite you and keep the dream of a shock alive then what is there as a fan to look forward to?.

After initially being slightly disappointed with the draw, on the basis that we played them last year and it's a bloody difficult game, I'm now warming to it.

Firstly, it's Manchester bloody City, one of the top sides in Europe, surely this is the stuff of dreams? A few years ago we were playing Tonbridge Angels in the FA Trophy, and were not even in this competition.

Secondly, I believe they are not as strong as they were last season, are certainly "gettatable" and vulnerable at the back, and we are certainly stronger. Yes, they'll be overwhelming favourites, but so were West Ham, and that turned out pretty well.

Thirdly this game comes in the middle of a very busy and difficult run of fixtures for them, so Pep might just take us for granted with his line up, and their players might just take us for granted too.

Fourthly, having played them last year, we shouldn't be overawed this year.

Lastly, I was on holiday and missed last year's game, but not this year.

Come on Oxford, we can do this!!!

The sunday game is Man Utd v Everton so they'll maybe move that back to the saturday so that both can play in the cup on Tuesday night. That will allow them to show Man Utd v Colchester on Tuesday, us v Man City on wednesday and the Villa v Liverpool game whenever they get round to playing it.

If that game was played 100 times, Man City would win 95 of them, there would be four draws and a lottery of penalties and we’d win one. The straight-to-pens rule helps us out a bit but Man City had a shot every three minutes last time we played them! You’d fancy their chances to convert one of them.

It’ll be a walk in the park for them. I would have been cautiously optimistic if we’d drawn Leicester, Villa or Everton - maybe even Manchester United if we’d got them at home - but Liverpool or Man City? The chances of going through are pretty much non-existent.

That said, when does a run like this become a distraction? We’re doing well in the league and I’d sooner keep that going than keep going deep in the League Cup. We have an FA Cup game coming up and are still going in the EFL Trophy which is a far likelier opportunity for Wembley. QFs with money in the bank could be the place to bow out with credit.

The sunday game is Man Utd v Everton so they'll maybe move that back to the saturday so that both can play in the cup on Tuesday night. That will allow them to show Man Utd v Colchester on Tuesday, us v Man City on wednesday and the Villa v Liverpool game whenever they get round to playing it.

Think you'll find League games take priority and no way they will be moved back. also Manure are in the europa on the thursday.

OUFC site having a flashback to last year:

The pictures show what a display the Ultra's put on, shame that won't happen again. Or is there anyone else with the right contacts able to get something sorted?

Would imagine that us v City and Man Utd v Colchester will be the 2 tv games. The others are fairly bog standard PL affairs!

Except for the fact that the powers that be are and always have been in love with the tosspot PL so Villa v Liverpool is a given if it takes place

After initially being slightly disappointed with the draw, on the basis that we played them last year and it's a bloody difficult game, I'm now warming to it.

Firstly, it's Manchester bloody City, one of the top sides in Europe, surely this is the stuff of dreams? A few years ago we were playing Tonbridge Angels in the FA Trophy, and were not even in this competition.

Secondly, I believe they are not as strong as they were last season, are certainly "gettatable" and vulnerable at the back, and we are certainly stronger. Yes, they'll be overwhelming favourites, but so were West Ham, and that turned out pretty well.

Thirdly this game comes in the middle of a very busy and difficult run of fixtures for them, so Pep might just take us for granted with his line up, and their players might just take us for granted too.

Fourthly, having played them last year, we shouldn't be overawed this year.

Lastly, I was on holiday and missed last year's game, but not this year.

Come on Oxford, we can do this!!!

Question is will we go strong ? Cadden over Long for example. Does Hall play ? Does Baptiste play if Brannagan is fit ? As much as City might be juggling fixtures so might we. With this cup, the FL Trophy (our only obvious route to cup glory) and a hectic L1 Christmas schedule we might also have a few decisions to make.

No doubt about it we will be doing a hell of a lot of chasing in the City game, they are not only one of the best footballing teams around but are probably one of the fittest teams anywhere. They work their nuts off so our workload is going to be immense and if it is on a Wednesday we aren't going to have much recovery time for Saturday.

It's a bit of a dilemma for KR and would be nice if it coincided with the return of Brannagan and Woodburn to not only help out but give them some valuable game time.

Everyone knows manure is one game for tv, if they show 2 games then the least likely is Leicester v Everton

Back
Top Bottom