Fan's View Promotion Chances?

MustardYellow

I'd be genuinely interested to know what people think our promotion chances are?

Personally, I think we only get promoted if we make automatics (which I think is unlikely) - I can't see us going up through the play-offs. I don't fancy our chances in a two legged tie versus any of the teams likely to be in the play-offs, nor a one off game against them.

Thoughts?

Well we've won away to Derby and away to Barnsley this season, both of whom could be in the play-offs with us. Absolutely no reason we can't go through it. Luckily I don't think Cambridge or Cheltenham will be threatening the top 6, so we should be OK.

Well we've won away to Derby and away to Barnsley this season, both of whom could be in the play-offs with us. Absolutely no reason we can't go through it. Luckily I don't think Cambridge or Cheltenham will be threatening the top 6, so we should be OK.
Once you throw occasion and pressure into the mix, it changes everything. The teams likely to be in with a shout of top 6 have more experience and I feel are more likely to manage the pressure.

Once you throw occasion and pressure into the mix, it changes everything. The teams likely to be in with a shout of top 6 have more experience and I feel are more likely to manage the pressure.
Yeah, just like Bolton did last year in the semis and Barnsley in the final.

Nor Port Vale.
the one club I really wouldn’t fancy in the play offs is Stevenage and it’d be foolish to write them off.
Charlton might well be in the mix along with the dreaded Blackpool and Peterborough.
If we win tomorrow we may all be thinking top two again, although I didn’t see much evidence that we will be challenging after that poor result on Saturday.
Nobody I would’ve thought would have seen Pompey losing, but then Blackpool have been improving strongly of late.
What is clear and is probably clear to all is we need a striker

Yeah, just like Bolton did last year in the semis and Barnsley in the final.
So this season they'll have the opportunity to put their wrongs, right - very few of our squad have any proper experience in similar situations!

So this season they'll have the opportunity to put their wrongs, right - very few of our squad have any proper experience in similar situations!
It doesn't work like that though, as we found out ourselves after messing up against Wycombe. That experience certainly didn't help us against what was quite a youthful Blackpool.

It doesn't work like that though, as we found out ourselves after messing up against Wycombe. That experience certainly didn't help us against what was quite a youthful Blackpool.
Blackpool were a far more rounded team that us that season. I didn't fancy our chances against them from the start!

We lacked balance, and to some extent I still think we do with our current squad.

Moore, Brannagan, Mcguane, Browne, Long, have all played in the play offs and Edwards and Leigh have won automatic promotion.

To be fair, I’m not that bothered. What Manning did well was begin to build a decent squad, which I hope Des will continue not least cos better decisions can be made about loaning players out and generally developing players. I am, though bloody desperate to see a decent forward signing on in January.

I'd be genuinely interested to know what people think our promotion chances are?

Personally, I think we only get promoted if we make automatics (which I think is unlikely) - I can't see us going up through the play-offs. I don't fancy our chances in a two legged tie versus any of the teams likely to be in the play-offs, nor a one off game against them.

Thoughts?

You can see us potentially making the top 2, but not being able to beat teams that finish 3rd - 6th?!

And of the teams below us we have beaten Stevenage away (3rd), Derby away (6th), Barnsley away 8th and Lincoln away (9th), and it was only a last minute goal that kept us from beating Blackpool at home (7th).

As always, one defeat is enough to totally write off our season in some people's views. How about thinking that a win tomorrow night could put us joint top and no reason why we can't beat Portsmouth and Peterborough too!

Probably lose every game now and be relegated by Xmas.
League 2 has a couple of teams in it so wed probably get relegated the following season too.
Not even sure we could handle the conference either.

If we don't go up this season, we will struggle next season against Man City and Chelsea.

But to enable an easier task in going for promotion preferably automatically then as I’ve said on numerous occasions we need two strikers and a RB

If we don't go up this season, we will struggle next season against Man City and Chelsea.
if get the punishment theydeserve, they'll both be playing at CPF next season
( they wont and they wont)

Have faith, as I said on a pre season thread, We're going up as fuckin'champions

It really helped when we had played in the play offs the year before, we were out of the tie before the first leg of the first half.

Depends how many JCH can bag for us, come January... :coffee:🤪

Back
Top Bottom