Matches Play-Off Final Train Travel

Front Post

Feels like a separate thread for train info might be useful.

Chiltern have confirmed that NO services will operate from Oxford station.
Everything for Wembley Stadium and Marylebone will be to/from Oxford Parkway.

Journey planners will be updating throughout today as they've just confirmed this change

1715338777620.png

GWR are still running from Oxford station into Paddington.

Last edited:
Off-Peak Day Returns give you complete flexibility on what times you travel.

Oxford Parkway to Wembley Stadium (Route Via High Wycombe) - £32
Oxford Parkway to Marylebone (Route Via High Wycombe) - £33.30

In principle, if there are between 3 and 9 of you, you can purchase a GroupSave product, and you get a third off the equivalent number of adult tickets.
These can only be bought from ticket offices.
BUT SOMETIMES THIS PRODUCT IS WITHDRAWN ON WEMBLEY EVENT DAYS SO CHECK BEFORE PURCHASE

Or get a network card for £30 and get 1/3 off when travelling weekends and generally after 10am or so in the South East. Or Two Together card / Senior Railcard etc
Sometimes the network card is discounted if bought digitally. I bought mine on the Trainline app, but no discounts showing at the moment.

These pay for themselves after a couple of trips.

Or get a network card for £30 and get 1/3 off when travelling weekends and generally after 10am or so in the South East. Or Two Together card / Senior Railcard etc
Sometimes the network card is discounted if bought digitally. I bought mine on the Trainline app, but no discounts showing at the moment.

Quite right.
A whole range of railcards available these days that are valid for a year.

And don't forget you can get GWR train from Oxford to Paddington (actually quicker than the Parkway route) and then tube to Wembley. Or the Oxford Tube, but they will be jammed.

You could drive to Haddenham Parkway to pick up a train to Wembley - but I'm not sure if these are all from Bicester and will therefore be full, or if some come a different way.

Doesn't appear to be a single direct train from Banbury or Bicester North to Wembley on the 18th. All trains on this route go to Marylebone and don't stop at Wembley so you have to pay extra for the longer journey to Marylebone and then have to get the tube to Wembley at further cost. So the only option for Chiltern Railways is to get on at Bicester Village on the Oxford Parkway line. It's not very helpful for supporters from the north of the county at the moment. Unless a new timetable with added trains has not yet been released?

Doesn't appear to be a single direct train from Banbury or Bicester North to Wembley on the 18th. All trains on this route go to Marylebone and don't stop at Wembley so you have to pay extra for the longer journey to Marylebone and then have to get the tube to Wembley at further cost. So the only option for Chiltern Railways is to get on at Bicester Village on the Oxford Parkway line. It's not very helpful for supporters from the north of the county at the moment. Unless a new timetable with added trains has not yet been released?

Based on their published timetables, there aren't normally any direct trains to Wembley Stadium on a Saturday from either of those.

Journey planners are updating slowly with amends but often taken an overnight feed to force stuff through. The Chiltern website does say "An enhanced timetable will be in operation for most of the day, with additional Wembley Stadium stops in trains, and also some additional trains." so you might seem some changes to the norm in addition to the extra trains/extended trains and Oxford Parkway only approach.

Might be worth contacting them on social media to see if they can give any indication on whether either of those stations will have trains stopped at them.

Last edited:
When I checked earlier, the revised timetable WASN'T in the journey planners. If you're not sure, search Oxford (not Parkway) to London Marylebone as a test. If it shows ANY direct trains for Saturday 18th, then it's not been updated yet and you should wait until it is to plan.

Good point. I was looked and saw a couple of days ago trains starting Oxford and going through Parkway. Great for getting there but no good for getting back. Everyone gets kettled onto same train and if terminating at Parkway would be no good for some people.

I have a memory of a revised timetable from parkway being published last time? Not that it matters that much past first and last train as you just get in a queue, doesn’t matter what train you book as that’s not how it works but at least it gives you a rough idea.

What's the parking situation likely to be at Parkway? Group of 4 going from Abingdon/Drayton area. Didcot a bit closer and can get a bus there, just requires a walk from Paddington to Marylebone. Parkway looks to be direct which is a bonus but no good if we can't park.

What's the parking situation likely to be at Parkway? Group of 4 going from Abingdon/Drayton area. Didcot a bit closer and can get a bus there, just requires a walk from Paddington to Marylebone. Parkway looks to be direct which is a bonus but no good if we can't park.
You can get the Bakerloo line from Paddington to Wembley Central.

I'd definitely go from Didcot on a fast train to Paddington, then Bakerloo to Wembley Central. Both train and station at each end will be a lot quieter and it's not actually much slower.

Plus the change gives you the chance to find a better pub or lunch than what's available around Wembley.

For trains from Swindon a Super off peak day travelcard costs £67.80. Swindon to Paddington then underground to Marylebone and train from Marylebone to Wembley Stadium. With the travelcard you can bus or tube your way back to Paddington and avoid Wembley Stadium station which might be a lot busier.
Also from Swindon the National Express coaches are about £8 getting to Victoria mid morning but about £18 if leaving around 10:30. Return trip is about £6 if you get the right one going back.

Based on their published timetables, there aren't normally any direct trains to Wembley Stadium on a Saturday from either of those.

Journey planners are updating slowly with amends but often taken an overnight feed to force stuff through. The Chiltern website does say "An enhanced timetable will be in operation for most of the day, with additional Wembley Stadium stops in trains, and also some additional trains." so you might seem some changes to the norm in addition to the extra trains/extended trains and Oxford Parkway only approach.

Might be worth contacting them on social media to see if they can give any indication on whether either of those stations will have trains stopped at them.
I did exactly this - they’ll confirm the timetable 5-7 days before so anytime from now until Monday. It’s essentially TBC at the minute.

For trains from Swindon a Super off peak day travelcard costs £67.80. Swindon to Paddington then underground to Marylebone and train from Marylebone to Wembley Stadium. With the travelcard you can bus or tube your way back to Paddington and avoid Wembley Stadium station which might be a lot busier.
Also from Swindon the National Express coaches are about £8 getting to Victoria mid morning but about £18 if leaving around 10:30. Return trip is about £6 if you get the right one going back.

Yeah but then you have to go to Swindon, who the f**k wants to do that?

£46 off peak super saver return to St P`s with a travelcard in the mix from the grim North.

Think that represents fine VFM at £23 each way. :)

If you have an Oystercard you can get the staff at an underground station to link it to your railcard, you then get a 1/3 discount on off peak travel on all services within the Oystercard zone

Is it worth trying to get on at Haddenham & Thame, or just go to Oxford Parkway. Have people previously had issues getting on at the last Wembley games?

Back
Top Bottom