Fan's View Pitch Invasions

Unless players and club staff get caught up in it every time it happens, then it's a pretty ridiculous hypothetical. Still, it's easier to pose a made up scenario than it is discussing the subject in hand I suppose.
They get abused in every game, which can cause mental harm and trigger certain mental frailties. They also experience missiles being thrown and fans sometimes assault players in the stands or run onto the pitch to physically assault them.

So no, it's not very ridiculous. Might as well advocate for banning all fans.

There's a risk of damage to local property, personal injury and violent events at a large number of football matches every weekend. Perhaps we should ban crowds and large gatherings altogether if we're going to go down this route.
I think Priti Patel is probably taking note of your comments - she's heading in that direction of travel anyway.

They get abused in every game, which can cause mental harm and trigger certain mental frailties. They also experience missiles being thrown and fans sometimes assault players in the stands or run onto the pitch to physically assault them.

So no, it's not very ridiculous. Might as well advocate for banning all fans.
Alright then, we can ban you first and then very slowly work our way around everyone else :)

Yeah you're right, considering one punch can kill it's fortunate that he didn't stuff anything worse than that. Because if he was hit in the wrong place or hit his head on a harder surface when being knocked to the ground, we could've been looking at a very different outcome.

Some have already accused me of melodrama on this thread, but these are the consequences if we allow pitch invasions to continue as they are, no matter how harmless the intent from the majority is.
The bloke's lawyer claimed that he wasn't targeting Sharp and was actually trying to get to the tunnel while looking at the crowd, running into the player by accident - which is completely contrary to what was caught on camera. Then pleaded not to be given a jail sentence as he wouldn't be able to make his mortgage payments. Thankfully the actual evidence prevailed.

I can’t follow all the analogies here! I think there’s a big difference between the joyful, spontaneous pitch invasion of kids that you sometimes get after a giant killing cup win, and an orchestrated invasion by twats who attack opposing players

I can’t follow all the analogies here! I think there’s a big difference between the joyful, spontaneous pitch invasion of kids that you sometimes get after a giant killing cup win, and an orchestrated invasion by twats who attack opposing players

And this is the crux of it. How do you allow for the former without the risk of the latter?

The bottom line is there's no reason for a fan to go onto the pitch.
The most annoying thing for me about final day pitch invasions is it's the away teams final chance to applaud their team before many players move on and with masses of fans on the pitch they don't get that opportunity...remember Blackburn a few years back when KR was left to remove a home fan from the pitch whilst police and stewards looked on.

The most annoying thing for me about final day pitch invasions is it's the away teams final chance to applaud their team before many players move on and with masses of fans on the pitch they don't get that opportunity...remember Blackburn a few years back when KR was left to remove a home fan from the pitch whilst police and stewards looked on.

Totally agree. Why should the away team, or losing team, have to sprint off the pitch for their safety and miss the opportunity to thank their fans.

I assume those supporting this idea that it's traditional to celebrate with your players, would have been happy seeing Leyton Orient fans on our pitch and would have applauded their passion?!

And I remember lots of U’s fans commented on this and a Blackburn fan said we were spitting form above, yet there were stewards up there at the front who would have ejected any fan for spitting……think the Blackburn fan was trying to shift the blame.

There seems to be an alarming increase in pitch invasions. Not sure what's driving it - could be booze/drugs, but could also be the social media trend (Bell-end runs on to the pitch, takes a selfie, sends to his mates and says "Look where I am, look how big and clever I am").

It really does need to be stamped on. Over the past week, we had Billy Sharp and Robin Olsen assaulted. People can say "It's passion" and that the players need to connect with the players, but when you have 500-1000 heavily beered up idiots running towards you, I don't care who you are - that is f**king scary, and players, just like you and I have the right to feel safe in their workplace (the field of play).

Also, do we just wait until something really serious happens, such as the stabbing of tennis star Monica Seles back in 1993?

Surely entering the pitch without permission is trespassing. You have video surveillance throughout the ground how about fining each and every person jumping over the railings the maximum £2500. They'll soon learn

It’s the end of the season. There have always been pitch invasions at the end of the season. I recall Carlisle’s incredible last day survival as an example ! It’s not every week it’s the last week of the season

Yeah you're right, considering one punch can kill it's fortunate that he didn't stuff anything worse than that. Because if he was hit in the wrong place or hit his head on a harder surface when being knocked to the ground, we could've been looking at a very different outcome.

Some have already accused me of melodrama on this thread, but these are the consequences if we allow pitch invasions to continue as they are, no matter how harmless the intent from the majority is.

Not into melodrama….

“One punch can kill”

Nobody has been killed. You can’t keep laboring imagined threats.

A couple of soccer players have bitten others. Let’s ban the game because someone might have been eaten alive.

The reality is four divisions with 92 teams playing between 38 and 46 games each with thousands of fans every week running into millions of spectators every season.

In the last week of the season, as per many many years of tradition, tens of thousands participate in the ecstasy of celebrating a great success and we have 3 to 4 examples of bad behavior by a lm incredibly small minority of individuals.

Not into melodrama….

“One punch can kill”

Nobody has been killed. You can’t keep laboring imagined threats.
Please Google 'one punch can kill' and educate yourself on how a single punch can have devastating consequences.

All I'm saying is there is a scenario in which Billy Sharp *could* have been killed, so I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest football needs to do something *before* something tragic happens like a player being hospitalised or even killed.

Why, when Sharp has already been attacked, had stitches, and the person responsible's been jailed, should we not use this as a warning sign? Have you ever heard of preventative measures?

Please Google 'one punch can kill' and educate yourself on how a single punch can have devastating consequences.

All I'm saying is there is a scenario in which Billy Sharp *could* have been killed, so I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest football needs to do something *before* something tragic happens like a player being hospitalised or even killed.

Why, when Sharp has already been attacked, had stitches, and the person responsible's been jailed, should we not use this as a warning sign? Have you ever heard of preventative measures?

I have .

Everyone in Shanghai has been locked up for weeks with drones monitoring their movement in case they catch Omicron.

They could all die.

I don’t need google to educate myself but thanks for the advice. Possibly better to extend your energy to banning boxing.

I have .

Everyone in Shanghai has been locked up for weeks with drones monitoring their movement in case they catch Omicron.

They could all die.

I don’t need google to educate myself but thanks for the advice. Possibly better to extend your energy to banning boxing.

Lots of whataboutisms flying around!

Lots of whataboutisms flying around!

Indeed …to counter the lots of “what ifs” is

A load of people running on some grass to be happy. You’d think it was some dystopia

Running on grass does not have a negative consequence for society. Nobody gets hurt.

Punching someone does. Deal with the infraction.

Plenty of folks on here being numbed by attrition into some really depressing hyperbole at the expense of freedom of expression and joy.

Back
Top Bottom