Fan's View Pitch Invasions

DannyW

I think I agree with Nigel Pearson identification from the various invasions this week need to happen and then prosecution's with stiff penalties. If something is not sorted extra security and ticket price increases to pay for them will follow.

I think I agree with Nigel Pearson identification from the various invasions this week need to happen and then prosecution's with stiff penalties. If something is not sorted extra security and ticket price increases to pay for them will follow.

Do you mean Geoff Person?

Not sure Nigel is much of an authority on violence against players!

cb4c2e5c4c82b877f3081c85fcd4ff72.jpg

Pitch invading for finishing 16th in the Premier League with a wage budget the size of Everton's or for getting to a final you need to win is sheer tinpottery and every fan on should be convicted and serve 3 years jail time.

3 years jail ???? You get less for burglary, drugs etc etc .what I notice at stadiums is the tinpottery agency stewards driven in from other towns.

This rate with all the pitch invasions they will fence every body in like the 80s 🤣🤣🤣

I guess youths have lost two years growing up time in lockdown and have maybe lost some awareness of other people
The Forest fan who headbutted Billy Sharp is 30 years old. It's easy to blame young people but in truth fan's behaviour is an increasing problem, and many people need to remember how to behave at a football game. You can put it down to rogue idiots in the crowd ruining things for everyone, but if you have just one person doing this in a crowd of hundreds who run onto a pitch, then it'll happen every time there's a pitch invasion.

Because if it doesn't get better then we'll see fences going back up, more police being at grounds (which only ever incites crowds), and the views of the pitch being poorer. It'll just turn more people away from the game.

Fans just have to learn to stay in/near their effing seats and leave the pitch to the players and staff only.

At a time when our future is to be decided over Stratfield Brake, I truly hope that our fans realise the consequences of their actions in and around the stadium.

And don't give any of the same shite that football is about passion as a way to excuse any actions. You can be passionate without ruining the experience for everyone else.

At a time when our future is to be decided over Stratfield Brake, I truly hope that our fans realise the consequences of their actions in and around the stadium.

And don't give any of the same shite that football is about passion as a way to excuse any actions. You can be passionate without ruining the experience for everyone else.

100% this.

I always enjoy pitch celebrations at the end of the season. I thought the man city one was in completely the right spirit.

I always enjoy pitch celebrations at the end of the season. I thought the man city one was in completely the right spirit.
Like how the players have to be manhandled by security for their safety and quick ushered down the tunnel instead of being able to celebrate with their teammates and club staff? Even if you ignore the fans breaking the crossbar and assaulting Robin Olsen, pitch invasions are selfish on the fans' part as they stop the players celebrating in the moment when the euphoria is at its highest. Is it right that a player's first thought is to peg it to the tunnel instead of celebrating their achievement?

I don’t like people attacking players. It’s an incredibly small minority compared to those who are just there for love and happiness.

Bit melodramatic to get excited about goalposts being broken. In a club that’s spent hundreds of millions and a couple people swinging cause a few hundred pounds damage.

I love that I see thousands of the paying fans, who passionately care, celebrating with the players. Why is the players joy considered more important ? Why can’t it be equal?

Cancel culture is rife. Celebratory pitch invasions have been part and parcel of English football for 100 years.
Yet after a few incidents in 2022 they have to be banned?

Yes running onto the pitch is illegal but that has always been waived to allow the fantastic outpouring emotions at an end of season game or huge achievement.

I thought after events of the past we had moved on from blaming all football fans for the actions of an individual. Tens of thousands of fans entered the pitch in various matches around the country in the past week and celebrated impeccably. They ran on to celebrate with their players, players were seen on fans shoulders having a great time singing and celebrating.

This happens every season and it's a joy to watch. There'll always be a couple of idiots amongst thousands.

The referee and opposition are often straight down the tunnel with the help of stewards, but in these games where incidents have occured the stewards are nowhere to be seen. Often spread around the perimeter to "stop" a pitch invasion but just letting fans through anyway. Why can't they simply arrange 11 stewards to run on to guide the players off? Why can't they be on the field during a penalty shootout? Or ready to run on and guide a team off?

The security teams never act on these occasions, surely that's what they are employed for? Would take the bare minimum in terms of organising pre-match.

And as for the Villa keeper "incident" today, I've watched it back 6 times and not one City fan touches him. City fans celebrated in good spirit as far as I watched.

The Forest fan has been jailed, and we are waiting to see what happens to the Sheffield United striker who kicked a forest fan multiple times on the floor, but that somehow got very little news time. The same can be said for Patrick Vieira kicking an Everton fan who swore at him, why was the opposition manager going onto the pitch from his dugout to mix with fans? Why the need to react violently? The media and pundits brushed it straight under the carpet along with the McBurnie incident.

Deal with isolated incidents and move on without crying to cancel every last shred of emotion football actually has left.

Last edited:
Cancel culture is rife. Celebratory pitch invasions have been part and parcel of English football for 100 years.
Yet after a few incidents in 2022 they have to be banned?

Yes running onto the pitch is illegal but that has always been waived to allow the fantastic outpouring emotions at an end of season game or huge achievement.

I thought after events of the past we had moved on from blaming all football fans for the actions of an individual. Tens of thousands of fans entered the pitch in various matches around the country in the past week and celebrated impeccably. They ran on to celebrate with their players, players were seen on fans shoulders having a great time singing and celebrating.

This happens every season and it's a joy to watch. There'll always be a couple of idiots amongst thousands.

The referee and opposition are often straight down the tunnel with the help of stewards, but in these games where incidents have occured the stewards are nowhere to be seen. Often spread around the perimeter to "stop" a pitch invasion but just letting fans through anyway. Why can't they simply arrange 11 stewards to run on to guide the players off? Why can't they be on the field during a penalty shootout? Or ready to run on and guide a team off?

The security teams never act on these occasions, surely that's what they are employed for? Would take the bare minimum in terms of organising pre-match.

And as for the Villa keeper "incident" today, I've watched it back 6 times and not one City fan touches him. City fans celebrated in good spirit as far as I watched.

The Forest fan has been jailed, and we are waiting to see what happens to the Sheffield United striker who kicked a forest fan multiple times on the floor, but that somehow got very little news time.

Deal with isolated incidents and move on without crying to cancel every last shred of emotion football actually has left.

The Villa keeper was very clearly pushed by one fan. Not sure how you can miss that through 6 views? Also the only footage that I've seen released shows a Sheffield United player stamp/kick a fan once with no context as to how this started.

The incidents may be isolated and clearly involve a very small minority, but rewriting history to make your point is not helpful.

There seems to be at least one incident per pitch invasion, so it's hardly isolated. It's only a matter of time before a player or member of club staff becomes seriously injured by an 'isolated incident', and it's simple risk management that to keep the players safe pitch invasions have to end. It's not cancel culture, it's simply asking fans to stay off the pitch and celebrate in the stands instead. I'm not asking anyone to stop celebrating, it's just you can choose to celebrate in a much safer and considerate way than sprinting onto some grass.

I'm not adverse to fans entering the field of play in a controlled manner to celebrate more closely with players like what happens in F1, but we can't have this uncontrolled mess that currently goes on. In no other walk of life is invading a performer's place of work acceptable. Did fans run onto the track when Mo Farah won gold in London? Do theatregoers rush onto the stage when actors receive an ovation? Do Adele fans invade the stage after she sings Someone Like You really well? Or do they all respect the boundaries between the performer's area and the spectator's? A football pitch is a performance space and a footballer's place of work, and they should have a right to feel safe doing their job. The past week or so has proved pitch invasions are anything but safe, and it's not 'cancelling' anything to point that out, it's just common sense.

Back
Top Bottom