Away Match Day Thread +++ Peterborough Utd v OUFC - match day thread +++

We were unacceptably naive today. Posh were efficient and disciplined and would probably have won it whatever we did but to make it so easy for them is a worry. Wasn't expecting more than a point or two from these two away games but the manner of today's defeat makes me think we *must* avoid defeat on Tues

Has anybody really taken a step back to look at the big picture though? I know I’m going to get abused by certain sections on here but here goes. Late in 2019 we were supposedly going for promotion, able to cover the costs for a promotion push and there was exciting news imminent regarding stadium progress. By the end of January 2020, we’ve sold two players for a sizeable sum, failed to bring players in because we need to be ‘sustainable’ and we’re not ready yet for the championship and people need to stop speculating on stadium progress because there’s nothing to say for the time being. Talk about a club sticking a bloody great pin into the positive balloon within a matter of weeks. I can’t help but feel that something somewhere has shifted behind the scenes and I struggle to believe that it’s good.

Impact of Erick Thohir leaving maybe? He was the most minted of Tiger’s ensemble.

A spurious theory of mine!

We’ve been pretty blunt for a while now, some spirited performances sprinkled in and around January can’t hide that and I think the major reason has been touched on, we don’t miss Cadden as much as we miss the system we used to play with Cadden in our team, Henry used to always come inside with Cadden running the line and effectively just working the triangles very well.

We’ve now had to change our system to out and out wingers with less support from our now more traditional full backs, this system is clearly taking time for us to adapt to and break teams down with

I think to add to this, for whatever reason we have a midfield that is simply unfit right now;

CB is unfit, you can tell he’s the type to get pissed off and be hard to manage if he’s not playing but unfortunately I think it’s best for the team if we give him a chance to recharge

Henry isn’t a central midfielder imo and to throw him in today after his issues seemed crazy

Unfortunately it seems both Thorne and Kelly aren’t quite ready to start games, this leaves us quite thin on the ground

Gorrin may be good but he’s got such a thankless task, especially today against such ruthless opposition

If we fade away this half of the season it’s hasn’t been a bad season we’ve played some good premier league teams and beat them had some good days in the league we’ve performed above expectations so far we haven’t been in a relegation scrap like last season and we’ve sold enough players so we shouldn’t have to sell in the summer (tongue in cheek) to give us a decent budget for next season personally I still don’t think the season is over we will pick up form and will make play offs

Just here to watch the meltdowns.

On a side note, a reasonable source connected to the Directors informed me that the ambition to get promoted isnt there. Disappointing if true although hopefully taken out of context.

I think I read from some of the more sensible posters that KR team 2019/2020 budget was less than 2018/2019. It wasn’t impossible to have a better squad on a reduced budget when you think of the money we spunked on Holmes & Carruthers.

In the recently closed transfer window it was the lack of a couple of signings (not necessarily the departures) that would add credibility to what you have heard. With fitness concerns over Taylor then we probably needed to spend ‘dead money’ on a 5 month loan of a centre forward. It’s easy to spend others money, but with the additional cup revenue if we were going to push for promotion then it should have been possible.

The Agyei signing for whatever reason has not worked out as planned. It is a shame as I’m sure the original plan was not to rely on Mackie as much as we have been.

We’ve sold Whyte, Fosu Henry and Baptiste and had 2 cup runs. So looking from the outside in then you can see why there may be criticism of the board. If we had been floating around mid table in Jan then fair enough but we weren’t.

Has anybody really taken a step back to look at the big picture though? I know I’m going to get abused by certain sections on here but here goes. Late in 2019 we were supposedly going for promotion, able to cover the costs for a promotion push and there was exciting news imminent regarding stadium progress. By the end of January 2020, we’ve sold two players for a sizeable sum, failed to bring players in because we need to be ‘sustainable’ and we’re not ready yet for the championship and people need to stop speculating on stadium progress because there’s nothing to say for the time being. Talk about a club sticking a bloody great pin into the positive balloon within a matter of weeks. I can’t help but feel that something somewhere has shifted behind the scenes and I struggle to believe that it’s good.

KR actually said just after the transfer window closed that "things have changed." :mad:

Very very poor yesterday, played ok for the first 30 minutes but as soon as we gifted them the opener you just knew there was only one outcome.
Let’s hope we can get back to winning ways on Tuesday.

That we couldn't sign any needed players, that I can understand. The January window is notoriously difficult to prize good players away from their clubs. In a way I also understand that the board are business men and the offers were too tempting and would cover potential debts. But in the long run to fail to recruit and then sell two of your best players from an already depleted squad makes the clear statement that the board is not interested in promotion this year. This was made clear to all by their actions. Unfortunately it was also made clear to the players. To have busted a gut to get promotion any way they can must have been a kick in the teeth to every one of them.

Just here to watch the meltdowns.

On a side note, a reasonable source connected to the Directors informed me that the ambition to get promoted isnt there. Disappointing if true although hopefully taken out of context.
Absolutely no surprise there.

Who is on the next 5 minute forum

I hope it is a director with answers.
If someone like Easty is disillusioned then something is wrong and if we’re not careful there may be a mass exodus including KR

We've been pretty dire since the Doncaster game. Wasn't a great performance against Blackpool either tbh.

Absolutely no surprise there.

Maybe they don't have the ambition, but us fans do, now I think the January transfer window and the saga of selling Baptiste and Fosu and not reinvesting in the key areas we needed was a bad move from the board. If they did get a rb and striker in and we missed out on the play offs alot of people would have accepted it that the board tried and other teams just were better than us. Now if we miss out this year it will feel to alot of us that it was a missed opportunity and question whether the board are the correct people to take this club forward. I'm not saying it will be a full on boycot but I can't see are attendances being the same as this year, we will see a full house when Swindon come to town of course. But for the club wanting to grow the support their not taking the correct route

Back
Top Bottom