EPL New stadium lease signed (Misleading title for humorous effect)

Seriously, this whole separating grounds from their clubs has got to stop. The amount of clubs being shafted is getting out of control.

Boo for the misleading title!

That is is terrible deal for Birmingham. They get £10m for a stadium valued at £20m and have to pay £1.25m a year to play there - which will rise in 2025 between 5 and 22 percent (!). They are only leasing it until 2031 by which time they'll have spent much more than the £10m they got in the first place and will have to renegotiate the lease. As someone with a family interest in Birmingham City (my paternal great grandfather played for them, amongst others, and ran a pub near the ground after he retired from the game) it pains me, and it just looks like another great historic league club on a slippery slope to oblivion.

Boo for the misleading title!

That is is terrible deal for Birmingham. They get £10m for a stadium valued at £20m and have to pay £1.25m a year to play there - which will rise in 2025 between 5 and 22 percent (!). They are only leasing it until 2031 by which time they'll have spent much more than the £10m they got in the first place and will have to renegotiate the lease. As someone with a family interest in Birmingham City (my paternal great grandfather played for them, amongst others, and ran a pub near the ground after he retired from the game) it pains me, and it just looks like another great historic league club on a slippery slope to oblivion.
So what is there to stop our backers from building us a fab new stadium, making lots of money from adjoining facilities, then selling three quarters of the ground to a shadowy Chinese holding company? Genuine question, if anyone knows.

Saint Andrews is a community asset as is the breezy block and you would have thought the council would keep it that way if we do get a new ground.

It is a good question. Once a club has had it's ground taken, trying to get it back is near enough impossible - especially in the lower leagues.

After being chased to New Street through a hail of bottles in the late 90s, I'm sure I can honestly say that I hope they go bust and St. Andrews is turned into a Tesco.

Saint Andrews is a community asset as is the breezy block and you would have thought the council would keep it that way if we do get a new ground.

While it may be a community asset, it does not stop the owner of the stadium charging crazy rent and imposing rules like Kassam has with us. So it's either put up with it or try and move to another stadium.

I just hope with us if we were to move into a new stadium that either the stadium was owned by the club or council.

So what is there to stop our backers from building us a fab new stadium, making lots of money from adjoining facilities, then selling three quarters of the ground to a shadowy Chinese holding company? Genuine question, if anyone knows.
Putting in place a similar arrangement to the training ground which iirc means the Council own the freehold or some similar form of rights to stop that happening.

While it may be a community asset, it does not stop the owner of the stadium charging crazy rent and imposing rules like Kassam has with us. So it's either put up with it or try and move to another stadium.

I just hope with us if we were to move into a new stadium that either the stadium was owned by the club or council.
Yes but ‘owned by the club’ would mean owned by rich guys from Indonesia, in real terms

Yes but ‘owned by the club’ would mean owned by rich guys from Indonesia, in real terms

How does it work for all the other football clubs then? They seem to have a takeover and the stadium always staying with the club not transfered to the new owners?

How does it work for all the other football clubs then? They seem to have a takeover and the stadium always staying with the club not transfered to the new owners?
Unless the ground is owned by a trust or something then I think the club and the owners are the same entity - ‘the club’ doesn’t separately own anything not held by the shareholders. But others here are far more knowledgeable.

After being chased to New Street through a hail of bottles in the late 90s, I'm sure I can honestly say that I hope they go bust and St. Andrews is turned into a Tesco.
On the way back from an away day at Wrexham, our train was pelted with bottles/stones as we passed non stop through Birmingham. Not sure if it was football related or just a local pastime

On the way back from an away day at Wrexham, our train was pelted with bottles/stones as we passed non stop through Birmingham. Not sure if it was football related or just a local pastime
I was once on a bus from Glasgow to Ayr that was attacked in Kilmarnock bus station purely because it was going to their rivals Ayr

I was once on a bus from Glasgow to Ayr that was attacked in Kilmarnock bus station purely because it was going to their rivals Ayr

'Kilmarnock bus station'.

Sounds impossibly exotic.

I was on a bus out of BBL back in the 90s, just before the flyover on Barnes Rd it was pelted with bricks, rocks, and other detritus. Couple of windows were broken.

The weirdest bit was that the driver pulled over shortly afterwards and came upstairs and gave everyone on the top deck a rather confusing bollocking. Adrenaline I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom