General Modern Football: Is It Just Boring?

There is certainly more moralising and it is much more sanitised that it used to be. The standard of football is largely better but mainly because the sort of football played in ye olde days wouldn't be allowed now. I don't like the move to playing out from the back that everyone seems to try today whether they have the players capable of playing it or not. That said the refereeing is more accurate than ever. I probably did prefer the old days in semi dangerous stadiums watching a very working class game not played by millionaires. Where away days were intimidating but the prices cheap. I can equally see why the middle class fans may like the corporate game where they are treated as customers. But it's not for me.

I hate the modern trend in football where the commentators and pundits all seem to jump on latest buzzwords and use them continually.
A example being I just heard Gary Neville and the commentator both use the word “delicious” to describe a pass or goal. FFS.

I hate the modern trend in football where the commentators and pundits all seem to jump on latest buzzwords and use them continually.
A example being I just heard Gary Neville and the commentator both use the word “delicious” to describe a pass or goal. FFS.
Even worse when they mangle the language (although I’m not sure that’s a modern football thing).
Eg. “Going to ground” does not mean what they think it does. A rabbit or fox etc goes to ground when it runs off down its warren, den etc. it doesn’t mean fall over or dive.
Footballers even create new tenses! “He’s run down the wing, he’s looked up and seen the forward and he’s whipped it in.”

Even worse when they mangle the language (although I’m not sure that’s a modern football thing).
Eg. “Going to ground” does not mean what they think it does. A rabbit or fox etc goes to ground when it runs off down its warren, den etc. it doesn’t mean fall over or dive.
Footballers even create new tenses! “He’s run down the wing, he’s looked up and seen the forward and he’s whipped it in.”
that is not the only definition of going/go to ground. But language is constantly evolving, otherwise mangle would still refer to a piece of washing equipment.

Back
Top Bottom