Let's talk about... our crossing!

I think pretty much everyone is happy with our league position and goals scored to date. Although, in our last six games we have scored just 3 goals {2 in 4 in the league).

This discussion is about the lack of quality of our crosses.... Why Cadden hits the first defender or floats them over the bar, and why Brannagan floats so many corners into the 6 yard area for the gk to easily catch, when our tall players are stood at penalty spot level.

If you think that's all good and not something that should be improved (I'm sure KR thinks it was poor, as Baptiste took over corner duty) then fine. Just discuss it.

I'd like to see some analysis of Cadden's crossing, I really don't think it's that bad. And compared to the number of crosses coming in from the other flank....Also, did yesterday's goal not come from a Cadden run where he decided to pull back and not cross?

100% agree that floating a corner into the 6 yard box is an absolute and utter waste!

IMO we need more cut backs to the edge of the box. We win an incredible amount of corners but take very little advantage of them our tall men do not score or win the ball cleanly enough, needs work.

Whenever I watch a Premiershite game I often think how often the cross is poor or hits the first defender (Trent Alexander excepted!) so even at a higher level it ain’t perfect!

Last edited:
If anyone saw Royal Institution lecture yesterday (bbc4) on probability they'd have seen one of the analysts from Liverpool pointing out the areas of pitch with most likely goal scoring chance given the team's pattern of play...Alexander Arnold has obvs taken this on board to great effect. LFC have a very large team working on this...we do some of the same and hopefully is part of our performance analysis.

Our defence is utter crud too. No creativity or solidity in midfield. Forwards couldn't score in a brothel. Our league position is embarrassing. Tiger Robinson, players should all be sacked in the morning. Get some of the judges on this forum in charge.

We have a great team, we are a joy to watch and this season we look like we genuinely can push for promotion.

But, that doesn’t mean aspects of our game cannot be improved.

So the sarcasm is pretty childish.

I very much doubt KR looks at a replay of each game and just puts his feet up thinking his job is done.

Feels like we are always looking to set up a crossing opportunity, even when in front of the goal at 18/20 yards. A few more speculative efforts during the 90 minutes (such as Baptiste's, today) couldn't hurt. The keeper needs to be tested.
Agree... a few more shots on sight would be good...and would keep the oppositions defence guessing too

I think our set plays are w**k. Corner after corner after corner, we do the same thing. Try something different!

The corners are frustrating.

The way we are playing at the moment means we generate so many corners but then they just get floated in with no threat. This never seems to change and we do need to mix it up a bit. With the talent we have we could probably do more damage from a short corner but that never seems to happen now.

The corners are frustrating.

The way we are playing at the moment means we generate so many corners but then they just get floated in with no threat. This never seems to change and we do need to mix it up a bit. With the talent we have we could probably do more damage from a short corner but that never seems to happen now.
We never try and put someone on the near post or stick someone out long to pick up a ball to put it back over. Quite frustratin.

I agree lately that our crossing hasn’t been that good.However earlier in the season we were getting Cadden nearer to the beeline and the likes of Brannigan to score.Skyes was also feeding Taylor.
On the other side Fosu was driving at players and shooting for fun or providing crosses for other players.
I think two things have happened.
1. Other sides have watched us and realise that when we go wide ,they pack the box and unless the cross is perfect we are crowded out.
2. Fosu is not getting the time and space he did earlier and I feel he could do with a rest. His decision making is not the best and he continues to cut back all the time rather than taking a player on and getting to the ball in.

I sure KR knows this and as Cadden leaves shortly he will have to look for a player in a similar mould.
Same goes for Fosu who does need someone to challenge him in that position

To me Cadden hasn’t achieved enough from all his possession. How many assists has he had? We can be a bit slow and predictable, we tend to score by varying it or moving the ball quicker

To be fair to Cadden, a lot of his great crosses haven’t been put away. He could easily be sat on an extra 5-10 assists from what I’ve seen

Agree with that.
Even yesterday Taylor shot at the keeper from close range and really should have scored.
I think it's a touch unfair on Taylor. He was under a lot of pressure from the defender and wouldn't have been able to fully anticipate where the ball would land for him.

However, Brannagan was right behind him, and if the cross had been left entirely, it's a tap in for Cam.

I could go to town on our crossing, however, the ball from Cadden yesterday is exactly the type of delivery we require. Much like Man City, in Taylor we have someone that attacks the back post. Pace across the six yard box is ideal. Cadden delivered similar vs Wycombe also. This doesn’t include the last 4 games, but these are the shots Cadden has assisted this season.

red = goal, bigger dot = better chance

02515997-7128-4DA4-97F8-9680D1B458D4.jpeg

This is why our RB recruitment is so important in January. We are losing one of our best creators and one of the most prolific crossers in the league. Throw in his link up with Henry on the overlap/underlap and he is pretty integral. Anyone coming in will need to replicate this pretty quick!

Back
Top Bottom