Let's talk about... our crossing!

QR

Game after game our weak link. So much great possession just given away.

We do put some nice balls in the box we just don’t use a striker who is going to thrive that way, our main problem is we end up having to cross so much as we fanny around with it deep in the other teams half with no creativity to break teams down so we play it out to Cadden and let him cross it to no one, this must have happened 50+ times this season already

it’s just the one (two if you’re being picky) thing we lack as a team, which is a pacy right winger who will drive at teams when they sit back and let us pass it around to no effect, Gavin Whyte would make us so much better imo, real champion material if we had him in this side I really believe that

the other thing we’re lacking is a creative attacking mid rather than a scoring one like Henry but like I say I think that is being verypicky

Its wasteful,they have so much time to deliver a cross and don't take care of the ball going into the area,i think they just presume that they will have that chance to cross multiple times a game.

Feels like we are always looking to set up a crossing opportunity, even when in front of the goal at 18/20 yards. A few more speculative efforts during the 90 minutes (such as Baptiste's, today) couldn't hurt. The keeper needs to be tested.

Our crossing is nowhere near good enough for the amount of opportunities we have to deliver, often with space and time to do so. This often comes from Cadden, but I wouldn't entirely blame him. Some of our positioning in the box is a little predictable, which makes it easier for the defence to set up and clear. We're also not the tallest with Taylor/Mackie, Fosu or Brannagan being the players Cadden usually has to aim for. We have looked more dangerous with having Ruffels coming in at the far post or Henry making a near post run.

I'd like to see our striker (most likely Taylor), getting across his defender to get in at the near post, or to pull the ball back to the edge of the box for Brannagan/Baptiste to hold their runs.

I hope they watched Trent Alexander-Arnold tonight.

That was a lesson in how to cross a ball into the box.

Goodness me, what a talent.

Game after game our weak link. So much great possession just given away.

Agree.

Getting from the Hollywood Bowl to the car park is a bloody nightmare. A new crossing is needed, or get rid of the useless existing one all together. Or better still get the man with the green GO, red STOP sign (last seen on the road outside outside The Priory) to make getting away from the stadium even more difficult than it need be.

To me Cadden hasn’t achieved enough from all his possession. How many assists has he had? We can be a bit slow and predictable, we tend to score by varying it or moving the ball quicker

To me Cadden hasn’t achieved enough from all his possession. How many assists has he had? We can be a bit slow and predictable, we tend to score by varying it or moving the ball quicker
What options does he have though? No real target man to aim at, midfielders rarely move for him beyond coming short for a pass, he just doesn’t have any great options 99% if the time when he gets into these positions

Our defence is utter crud too. No creativity or solidity in midfield. Forwards couldn't score in a brothel. Our league position is embarrassing. Tiger Robinson, players should all be sacked in the morning. Get some of the judges on this forum in charge.

Our defence is utter crud too. No creativity or solidity in midfield. Forwards couldn't score in a brothel. Our league position is embarrassing. Tiger Robinson, players should all be sacked in the morning. Get some of the judges on this forum in charge.
No one is saying that, it’s just a discussion about an aspect of our play. Last two games we’ve had loads of possession but not created many good chances, and we’ll get punished for that at some point

• React
Reactions: ljs

You're new, but you will come to find that I am ridiculously positive about everything related to the club. However, there is no denying that the number of crosses put in by Cadden, with the time and space he finds himself in, we should create a bucket load more!

It's all about marginal gains. Tighten up with both Eastwood and Archer occasionally flapping. Consider Mous can get beat by pace, and make sure Dickie covers the quickest forward. Manage the fouls by Gorrin to reduce chance of red cards/suspensions. Back Bap and Bran to shoot from distance but make the keeper work. AND, get more from the crosses we have.

None of this is intended as a criticism of the team, but valid views on how we look towards continuous improvement.

No one is saying that, it’s just a discussion about an aspect of our play. Last two games we’ve had loads of possession but not created many good chances, and we’ll get punished for that at some point

It ain't the 1990s now, chap.

We play with inside forwards not wingers.

We're third in the league with a stonking goals scored record.

If you want more than that you need to have a word with your expectations manager.

You're new, but you will come to find that I am ridiculously positive about everything related to the club. However, there is no denying that the number of crosses put in by Cadden, with the time and space he finds himself in, we should create a bucket load more!

It's all about marginal gains. Tighten up with both Eastwood and Archer occasionally flapping. Consider Mous can get beat by pace, and make sure Dickie covers the quickest forward. Manage the fouls by Gorrin to reduce chance of red cards/suspensions. Back Bap and Bran to shoot from distance but make the keeper work. AND, get more from the crosses we have.

None of this is intended as a criticism of the team, but valid views on how we look towards continuous improvement.

Do you think we defend too narrow too?

Do you think we defend too narrow too?
Not particularly. We do, however, defend in numbers with Cadden/Henry and Ruffels/Fosu dropping back in pairs. Whilst this might give up some of the wide areas, it makes it almost impossible to find anyone in the middle with Gorrin dropping in to help Dickie and Mous, with Bran and Bap sitting on the edge of the box too. That's not narrow, it's defending as a team and it's something we are exceptionally good at.

It ain't the 1990s now, chap.

We play with inside forwards not wingers.

We're third in the league with a stonking goals scored record.

If you want more than that you need to have a word with your expectations manager.
Hmm, bit superior there son. Our gd is superb but lately we’ve found scoring harder. We spend a lot of time working the ball out to the wings but haven’t been making the most of our positions.

Hmm, bit superior there son. Our gd is superb but lately we’ve found scoring harder. We spend a lot of time working the ball out to the wings but haven’t been making the most of our positions.

Your comment comes across as more superiority complex than mine tbh Dad.

Do man city or liverpool fans criticise their team for their crossing? Because they have a a similar set up and the same criticism could be levelled at them.

We are 3rd with a top half budget. We are overachieving significantly. There is always room for improvement obviously, but there needs to be acknowledgement of how we are set up in that.

Your comment comes across as more superiority complex than mine tbh Dad.

Do man city or liverpool fans criticise their team for their crossing? Because they have a a similar set up and the same criticism could be levelled at them.

We are 3rd with a top half budget. We are overachieving significantly. There is always room for improvement obviously, but there needs to be acknowledgement of how we are set up in that.
I think pretty much everyone is happy with our league position and goals scored to date. Although, in our last six games we have scored just 3 goals {2 in 4 in the league).

This discussion is about the lack of quality of our crosses.... Why Cadden hits the first defender or floats them over the bar, and why Brannagan floats so many corners into the 6 yard area for the gk to easily catch, when our tall players are stood at penalty spot level.

If you think that's all good and not something that should be improved (I'm sure KR thinks it was poor, as Baptiste took over corner duty) then fine. Just discuss it.

Back
Top Bottom