General KR & Tiger to have talks?

My top 5 OUFC managers in order:

1) Jim Smith (first stint)
2) Maurice Evans
3) Michael Appleton
4) Dennis Smith
5) Karl Robinson

Im a huge fan of Robinson but, for me, thats the order it will stay until he wins a promotion with us. (Evans is up there for keeping us in the top league for three seasons against all odds and for basically being a top class gentleman).

Disclaimer: Arthur Turner was before my time but obviously has legendary status.

Horton out.

Is KR MApp level of god status yet? I would definitely put him above him now. Loved MApp and you can't deny he laid the groundworks for where we are now but he had his shortcomings and jumped ship at a tough time, Robbo has and is going above and beyond to turn our club into a genuinely great and successful club to be involved with and support. Fantastic news
Not for me at the moment. Weve traditionally had bloody awful starts under Robbo, we did well to qualify for the playoffs of course, but we bombed in the final. We fell into the Wycombe tactical trap, had no answer to it really. Mapp built an amazing team with real backbone but so much flair we were incredible to watch, went up automatically from a very tough league and got to Wembley twice. A full strength Swansea team were dispatched with such style.

I like Robbo, think hes doing a decent job, but hasnt achieved anything yet in real terms.

My top 5 OUFC managers in order:

1) Jim Smith (first stint)
2) Maurice Evans
3) Michael Appleton
4) Dennis Smith
5) Karl Robinson

Im a huge fan of Robinson but, for me, thats the order it will stay until he wins a promotion with us. (Evans is up there for keeping us in the top league for three seasons against all odds and for basically being a top class gentleman).

Disclaimer: Arthur Turner was before my time but obviously has legendary status.
WHAT! No Kemp or Rix?????

Not for me at the moment. Weve traditionally had bloody awful starts under Robbo, we did well to qualify for the playoffs of course, but we bombed in the final. We fell into the Wycombe tactical trap, had no answer to it really. Mapp built an amazing team with real backbone but so much flair we were incredible to watch, went up automatically from a very tough league and got to Wembley twice. A full strength Swansea team were dispatched with such style.

I like Robbo, think hes doing a decent job, but hasnt achieved anything yet in real terms.
They are very different managers, but they had similar first seasons. There were lots of fans that weren't keen on either and they both took time to win some of the fans over.
KR for me, purely because we are at a higher level and he has really shown genuine love for the club and the fans and wants to be involved in all aspects of the club.

I'd counter that MApp didn't get near us being in the L1 play offs and KR oversaw us destroying West Ham and holding Newcastle away and running them very close at home, and giving Man City a proper game. We played with as much, if not more flair with KR's team last season in what was an incredible season (ie. Lincoln away) and but for Coronavirus I reckon we'd now be promoted automatically (my opinion obviously).

As an aside, both have been fantastic for us.

I'd counter that MApp didn't get near us being in the L1 play offs and KR oversaw us destroying West Ham and holding Newcastle away and running them very close at home, and giving Man City a proper game. We played with as much, if not more flair with KR's team last season in what was an incredible season (ie. Lincoln away) and but for Coronavirus I reckon we'd now be promoted automatically (my opinion obviously).

As an aside, both have been fantastic for us.
He kind of did though. We were 4 points off 6th at the end of 2016-17, his only season managing us in L1.

I think MApp is definitely a beneficiary of circumstance to some extent, he quit while he was ahead, and had the excuse of leaving because of an owner the fanbase was slowly turning on too, which deflected attention and blame from him. But much as I love KR, and I am proud to say I have backed him from day 1, he's not on MApp's level yet.

He kind of did though. We were 4 points off 6th at the end of 2016-17, his only season managing us in L1.

I think MApp is definitely a beneficiary of circumstance to some extent, he quit while he was ahead, and had the excuse of leaving because of an owner the fanbase was slowly turning on too, which deflected attention and blame from him. But much as I love KR, and I am proud to say I have backed him from day 1, he's not on MApp's level yet.

But we never looked like making it really from memory, always out of reach.

A stern but not unreasonable summary I'd say.

Ramon Diaz was bloody good.

Emiliano Diaz
Lucas Cominelli
Juan Pablo Raponi
Mateo Corbo (legendary hard tackler)

Entertaining times they were. He also got Manager of the month, and that’s the last time we got it.

Ramon Diaz was bloody good.

Emiliano Diaz
Lucas Cominelli
Juan Pablo Raponi
Mateo Corbo (legendary hard tackler)

Entertaining times they were. He also got Manager of the month, and that’s the last time we got it.
Ramon Diaz when we get a new ground we should have the Jim smith stand and the Ramon Diaz stand he brought us great entertainment was a joy to watch some of those players matteo corbo needs his own statue ?

Ramon Diaz when we get a new ground we should have the Jim smith stand and the Ramon Diaz stand he brought us great entertainment was a joy to watch some of those players matteo corbo needs his own statue ?

Corbo was a head case. A bit like Bilel Mohsni.

A head case that nobody passed with a football at their feet
Not only with a football but nobody got passed him full stop he was quality at what he done I don’t even know where he signed from it must have been a park next to the ground ?

MApp is just another manager from our history, left us in the lurch to chase some extra dosh.

KR is the man now and certainly has my respect and support!
MAPP did great for us, but needed to stick around and take us up again to be an actual great. He did not embrace our history or our club, unlike KR who has done that since he walked through the door. He has a long way to to enter the hall of fame, but he is certainly heading in the right direction.....time and success will get him there, something that Mappy was not prepared to give.

I'm sorry but MAPP is nowhere near the level that KR is, as a football manager. I dont care that we won promotion with MAPP, he left us in the lurch to chase money and play second fiddle at a club he left, barely 12 months later. His good work has undone, as soon as he left. Look where he is now...

KR (with the help of the new ownership) has revolutionised this football club. Last season was an incredible experience and in my 29 years of supporting this club, I've never felt a buzz like it. The football was sensational, the exposure the club received because of it was unheard of and those cup matches against the 'big boys' will never be forgotten.

Unfortunately, we came up short in the end but instead of KR jumping ship when times got tough, he has spent this summer building an even better squad than last season and now we are approaching the start of a new season, fully behind our team and our manager!

The fans have bought into KR, in the same way he has bought into Oxford United as a club. He has earned the respect of the fans and thats now fully reciprocated.

I for one will not be rolling out the red carpet for MAPP, when we smash his team at Grenoble Road.

He can f*** right off.

Last edited:
Robinson is not over the first hurdle yet, but Im fully behind him and believe he can guide us to the second tier. Most importantly Robinson has been assured (if he signs the 4 yr deal of course) that he's getting adequate financial backing for a promotion. Thats all good.

In regards to MAPP - LEGEND (and I've watched us in the top flight). I have never seen an OUFC manager achieve so much in so little time. He primarily changed the DNA, landscape and ceiling of the football club and gave me as a supporter such amazing experiences that I could never forget. Today, we are still reaping the rewards of that miraculous transformation as we adopt a similar model.

If I was a Lincoln fan right now I would be quite excited to say the least.

Back
Top Bottom