General KR & Tiger to have talks?

However as a manager of his own career he is the complete opposite. He made terrible personal career decisions before joining the Us and with Leicester if he was trying to ensure a successful legacy as a manager.

I said at the time that I thought going to Leicester was another terrible career decision for MApp, and I'm even more sure of it now.

He was flying here and rebuilding his reputation after the carnage of his early career; yes there were clearly some behind-the-scenes challenges with Eales but still - get us into the League One playoffs and he was almost certainly going to set himself up as an attractive target for some big Championship clubs.

But take an assistant's job - even at a mid-size club in the PL - and clubs are going to forget about you. Plus, you're giving up control, and the chance to really demonstrate your managerial acumen, and you're completely reliant on the capabilities of your Boss. Which, if your Boss is Craig Shakespeare, is not a great position to be in.

So inevitably, he was back on the market in no time at all, and he's had to take a position which, if you're really, really generous to Lincoln, is a sideways move from OUFC - but worse because he's having to start again, rather than work with the fine squad he'd built - and if you're wearing rose-tinted OUFC specs is a definite step down.

I hope he invested the extra couple of million he earned well - because otherwise the lost future earnings from stalling his career the way he did are going to come to a lot more than that.

My top 5 OUFC managers in order:

1) Jim Smith (first stint)
2) Maurice Evans
3) Michael Appleton
4) Dennis Smith
5) Karl Robinson

Im a huge fan of Robinson but, for me, thats the order it will stay until he wins a promotion with us. (Evans is up there for keeping us in the top league for three seasons against all odds and for basically being a top class gentleman).

Disclaimer: Arthur Turner was before my time but obviously has legendary status.

I would swap round Smith and Appleton on that list

Fair point but when you compare the career lengths of footballers and managers, you can half forgive some of the financially driven decisions that are made by some players.

Good managers are in the proffesional game for decades. Good players are in the game for just over a decade - if they are lucky.

MAPP went too far, too soon and because of that, he has now taken several steps backwards. Was it worth it? Probably not.

Interesting points. Arguably he went too far, too soon way before he came to us. He then came to us, rebuilt his reputation, left when he couldn't be assured he'd get the backing to take us to the next level for a job at a much higher level, at a team whose reputation was at an all time high, having won the Premier League two seasons before (and who, since have had decent seasons - only missing out narrowly on top 4 this season).

Ironically, had he stayed, I think we would have gone up in 17/18. With the funds Clotet was given, Appleton would have brought in a much younger set of players - who would have *probably* been better, and would have had value going forward.

As for his career post Leicester - he took a break from the game where he turned down offers and chances, and waited for a 'project' that excited him. Lincoln had won back to back promotions, and were looking for a manager to take them forward again. You can tell from this summer that they've backed him, and I expect Lincoln to have a good season (whether that's top half, or a play-off push).

Definitely don't wish Appleton any ill; good luck to him, he did a lot for our club. Happy with Karl and the work he is doing and have every confidence he'll get the job done and see us over the line this season.

I think that in terms of what they achieved with the money they had to work with I would say:
Arthur Turner
Gerry Summers
Mick Brown
Maurice Evans
Chris Wilder
No place for Jim Smith ??
If Brown and Summers in there how on earth is Horton not as Summers had some money for a couple of seasons .

Karl Robinson, in my view, plays a very attractive possession based game where his teams look to monopolise possession,
play through the thirds and generally score a lot of goals.

The team has to have pace at the top of the pitch to make his philosophy work. He has work to do.

It's blatantly obvious that KR signing a new long term deal is massive for us. He is the public face of OUFC
and is the one who is desperate to drive the club forward in all areas. He has been pivotal in developing the training ground
and has created a superb environment for everyone to work in. The recruitment team and Sports Science guys are integral
to what he is creating.He has built a team around him.

He really cares for all his staff and players and is big on the club being at the centre of the community. He always talks up the fans and is desperate for us to be able to return.

Within the football fraternity he has a glowing reputation for being a good coach and he can nurture and develop talent. Tactically he is astute and flexible.

There is no Darryl Eales , no Mark Ashton or a Kelvin Thomas in the shadows - he fronts for everything. The only thing he doesn't do is sell club advertising deals but if he did and you were a local business and he 'phoned , you would most probably sign up.

That could be a weakness but his passion and energy cannot be faulted. I would not be surprised it he gets this club into the championship once the jigsaw puzzle
of the playing squad is finally in place. Losing to Wycombe was a devastating blow but Robinson looks to me to mean business this year and will
come back stronger and hungrier.

Of course he has his faults - he can be overly emotional and impatient at times but I can live with that.

He deserves that improved four year contract.

Tactically astute and flexible?? Karl Robinson. Surely some mistake. For all his positives, he certainly isnt tactically astute. We play some teams off the park. If that doesnt work we struggle. See exhibit a- Wycombe Wanderers Wembley.

Tactically astute and flexible?? Karl Robinson. Surely some mistake. For all his positives, he certainly isnt tactically astute. We play some teams off the park. If that doesnt work we struggle. See exhibit a- Wycombe Wanderers Wembley.
Is that the game we gave away a crazy goal inside 10 mins and then they sat even further back . Half time Kelly for Gorrin in a astute tactical move and we dominated the half . James Henry shoots , Browne chases , Dodgy call not heard by Moore and we win . We were the better side . They won but wow talk about not deserving it. That game?

You're being deliberately obtuse Kip. What game did you watch ?

Wycombe were played off the park !

I said at the time that I thought going to Leicester was another terrible career decision for MApp, and I'm even more sure of it now.

He was flying here and rebuilding his reputation after the carnage of his early career; yes there were clearly some behind-the-scenes challenges with Eales but still - get us into the League One playoffs and he was almost certainly going to set himself up as an attractive target for some big Championship clubs.

But take an assistant's job - even at a mid-size club in the PL - and clubs are going to forget about you. Plus, you're giving up control, and the chance to really demonstrate your managerial acumen, and you're completely reliant on the capabilities of your Boss. Which, if your Boss is Craig Shakespeare, is not a great position to be in.

So inevitably, he was back on the market in no time at all, and he's had to take a position which, if you're really, really generous to Lincoln, is a sideways move from OUFC - but worse because he's having to start again, rather than work with the fine squad he'd built - and if you're wearing rose-tinted OUFC specs is a definite step down.

I hope he invested the extra couple of million he earned well - because otherwise the lost future earnings from stalling his career the way he did are going to come to a lot more than that.
I’ve thought about this a fair bit, because his patten of moves has been interesting. I wouldn’t be surprised that, despite his clear aptitude for it, maybe he isn’t happy being gaffer. It is definitely a job for someone with huge resilience and self belief who is comfortable being “lonely at the top”. I think there are probably some phenomenal talents who have been lost to football because an old fashioned master-apprentice hierarchy doesn’t accommodate them. (I reflect on it because it’s a bit like academia ...)

Thomas Frank is rubbish tactically I assume as well?
Brentford struggling to beat 10 men Wycombe with 72% possession

Eales didn’t have the budget for a promotion chasing squad so Appleton was right to get out with his stock high after his disastrous managerial cv prior to that.

What does surprise me is that the basics of the Eales Ashton Appleton model of player trading, good loans and good football has been carried on by Tiger and Robinson.

Most of the time a change in manager or owner will see some drastic change in approach. (Clotet and his woeful signings)

For those who think KR is abit over passionate in his interviews
I saw this on the Sun app and thought you'd be interested

Watch hilariously blunt Crawley boss give grumpy short answers in post-match interview after defeat to Millwall

You're being deliberately obtuse Kip. What game did you watch ?

Wycombe were played off the park !
Tons of Possession, not a huge goal threat (bar a couple of periods). A lot of sideways passing and slow build up, breaking down around the goal area.
On occasion teams who decide to defend, harass, and hit us on the the break we seem to have a problem with. I agree to some extent with Kip KR seems slow to have a plan B for games like this. We critise lack of pace or is it more of a case that sometimes we don't play the ball forwards fast enough?

I like KR and think he is great at assembling a squad, his weakness is that sometimes he is not always the best providing the versitility that can break down teams that have a good game plan to stifle us. I am hoping this year with another couple of players we might have the impetus for him to overcome this.

Tons of Possession, not a huge goal threat (bar a couple of periods). A lot of sideways passing and slow build up, breaking down around the goal area.
On occasion teams who decide to defend, harass, and hit us on the the break we seem to have a problem with. I agree to some extent with Kip KR seems slow to have a plan B for games like this. We critise lack of pace or is it more of a case that sometimes we don't play the ball forwards fast enough?

I like KR and think he is great at assembling a squad, his weakness is that sometimes he is not always the best providing the versitility that can break down teams that have a good game plan to stifle us. I am hoping this year with another couple of players we might have the impetus for him to overcome this.
Exactly this. We play some lovely stuff. Put us up

Exactly this. We play some lovely stuff "on our terms". Put us up against a Wycombe, a Burton, an Accrington, who stifle us/play on the break, and we have nowhere to go. Last season it was whack Mackie on. No option to go more direct, or pace. I suspect more of the same this season after Saturday.

Back
Top Bottom