Ex Player Josh Ruffels

League one is a very high player turnover league, with transfers and loans most sides seem to change at least half the players every season so you are not at any great disadvantage compared to the opposition if you do lose a few players.

Be lovely to keep everyone we want to but that’s not the reality of being a league one club, better to accept that and make sure we have players lined up to replace those that go.

It's not as simple as that. Last season we sold Gavin Whyte, Shandon Baptiste and Tariq Fosu-Henry and was a James Henry pass/shot away from promotion.

It's not who you sell, it's who you replace them with. If we sold Brannagan for £2m and brought in Harry Chapman on a free I don't think many would be saying that we were any weaker. Sell Clare to Burton but sign McGuane on a permanent deal? Is that a better deal? We also sold Dickie last year only to then find Elliott Moore get even better and Rob Atkinson to come out of no where! Who's to say that Luke McNally doesn't also make the step up if the opportunity arises?

It would be amazing to keep as many of these players together as possible, but teams constantly evolve and there's every reason to see players move on but we still become stronger.
Yes we do and we start over again.

I saw Josh in Blackwell's yesterday, perusing the South East Asian language section. He was wearing a burgundy and red cap with the letters PS on the side and a bit of paper dropped out of his pocket with this on it?????:

Persis Solo diperkirakan akan mendatangkan Josh Ruffels dari klub Inggris Erick Thohir, Oxford United, menjadikannya salah satu pemain dengan bayaran terbaik di sepakbola Indonesia.

It's not as simple as that. Last season we sold Gavin Whyte, Shandon Baptiste and Tariq Fosu-Henry and was a James Henry pass/shot away from promotion.

It's not who you sell, it's who you replace them with. If we sold Brannagan for £2m and brought in Harry Chapman on a free I don't think many would be saying that we were any weaker. Sell Clare to Burton but sign McGuane on a permanent deal? Is that a better deal? We also sold Dickie last year only to then find Elliott Moore get even better and Rob Atkinson to come out of no where! Who's to say that Luke McNally doesn't also make the step up if the opportunity arises?

It would be amazing to keep as many of these players together as possible, but teams constantly evolve and there's every reason to see players move on but we still become stronger.
And need to get business done early to enable players to bond/understand one another, to hopefully give us a better chance of starting the season bettter which shouldn’t be too hard!

Always better to start over again than not because you are bankrupt though, we sell players out of necessity not because the money looks nice in a bank account building up interest.
I agree but wouldn’t it be nice once to keep a squad that are in and around the playoffs over the previous couple of seasons and just maybe with a couple of additions actually make promotion, which in turn wemould lead to more money coming in so we then may revert to one player who will bring in some big bucks.

I saw Josh in Blackwell's yesterday, perusing the South East Asian language section. He was wearing a burgundy and red cap with the letters PS on the side and a bit of paper dropped out of his pocket with this on it?????:

Persis Solo diperkirakan akan mendatangkan Josh Ruffels dari klub Inggris Erick Thohir, Oxford United, menjadikannya salah satu pemain dengan bayaran terbaik di sepakbola Indonesia.
Username checks out. :)

I agree but wouldn’t it be nice once to keep a squad that are in and around the playoffs over the previous couple of seasons and just maybe with a couple of additions actually make promotion, which in turn wemould lead to more money coming in so we then may revert to one player who will bring in some big bucks.

Sure it would be nice but is it practical?

I find it disappointing that a local lad has been offered a contract and hasn't immediately signed it.

In reality though there's no sentiment in football these days.

I find it disappointing that a local lad has been offered a contract and hasn't immediately signed it.

In reality though there's no sentiment in football these days.
The difference in salaries in the Championship and L1 is very big.
Ultimately it is a job and players whose career finishes in their early to mid 30's (injuries permitting) need to look after themselves and their families.
I suspect that JR is only looking to possibly leave as Championship clubs are prepared to potentially pay him a lot more.
And of course playing competitive sport wouldn't you want a chance at playing at a higher level?
If we were to be promoted we would have decent chance of keeping JR and CB I would think

Sure it would be nice but is it practical?
It depends on how well we could be managed with the talks of a potential takeover, tTiger has done well and I wouldn’t be surprise if the consortium ask him to stay on as chairman.

Thing is he is 27 , we probably pay 2k a week where in the champ the offer is likely 5 k ...what would you do ??
I like Ruffels but I am really not convinced he is of regular Championship starting quality. However, if Championship teams are sniffing, he would be mad not to be interested. I can imagine with the current financial situation in football as an out of contract pretty reliable L1 defender, a few championship teams are looking at him as fairly cheap left back cover.

Whats Bazzer doing writing Ruffs notes?

I like Ruffels but Forest not aiming to get out of the championship any time soon if they sign him even as cover IMO

The points being made about whether Josh is/can achieve ‘championship’ standard depend hugely on the players around him and how a team he may move to envisage deploying him. I’m sure many of us recall how Dean Whitehead was viewed when here of potentially ‘only’ likely to play at ‘championship’ level. It’s a team game. As has been said above, if he decides to move on he will be remembered positively by many Oxford supporters, myself included!

Back
Top Bottom