General Jan transfer window

And yet we will still probably lose a significant sum of money or just breakeven with that extra cup money. And loan signings aren't generally free as I expect Marcus Browne, Nathan Holland and Liam Kelly aren't on peanuts and we'll be paying a good chunk of their wages.

Yes but the cup money wasn't forecasted at the start of the season, so it's should be reinvested into the playing squad.

Other clubs aren't scared to gamble I guess. We have made more money on cup runs than all the other teams in this league so there is no excuse why we can't.

There have only been 20 permanent signings this window by league one clubs (including free transfers). Lincoln, Blackpool, Bolton and Fleetwood are the only ones to sign more than one.

Whatever Sunderland spent, how much would we pay to get him? Sunderland will take a hit either way.

It was a rubbish deal for Sunderland and I'm not sure how it would be a great deal for us?

Would this be ok?

Are Sunderland going to take a massive hit on the 4mill they spent not so long ago?

Would you be comfortable spending loads of money on a striker that is 28, 29 in July? This, to me, seems bonkers

Younger than Matty Taylor who everyone is hoping signs permanently...

Right, we all know what the main transfer news of today is.

Question is - can we afford it? KR isn't one to keep it quiet so who is leading who here?

Let's not forget that this club has had financial trouble in the past from naive owners and experienced a series of WUOs. Let's all be a bit careful, shall we?

Which is kind of the point, Mackie offers something different. Not enough to be first or second choice striker, imo, but there is certainly a place for some to occupy the opposition CBs and create space for others. Mackie's has to be a selfless one....he actually makes some decent runs to make the space for others, but of course that goes largely un-noticed. He isn't strong in the air, he isn't a goal scorer and he isn't great at holding up the ball. Mackie is perfectly *fine* as 3rd choice striker...I don't think anyone expected him to make 42 league appearances last year and 24 this season
Plus, there is the impact Mackie has on the squad in general. But I agree, there is a point where Mackie loses his effectiveness, but for the run in, the exact sort of player you want in the match day squad and can do a role for the team. Frankly, I'm not sure a binary choice of Agyei or Mackie, as some propose, is the right question to ask.

Question is - can we afford it? KR isn't one to keep it quiet so who is leading who here?

Let's not forget that this club has had financial trouble in the past from naive owners and experienced a series of WUOs. Let's all be a bit careful, shall we?
But it gets at how desperate Sunderland are to get rid of Grigg, especially as he's basically said I won't play in League 2. A good bit of fishing by KR

• React
Reactions: Ian
Can think of worse options than Will Grigg, depends if he comes with a box of match`s and some accelerant to relight the fire. So many songs in there it`s ridiculous.... :)

Its quite a simple one for me. If we cant afford it, fine. Say that, we all know the club needs to run sustainably and not put it at risk. But dont talk of being ready to put down million pound bids on players if its not realistic.

If we sign will grigg and he can start scoring again we will lethal up front with him and Taylor the problem is neither of them would want to sit on the bench could be the final piece of the jigsaw tho

Sunderland have made him available, at least for loan. Whether he cost £1.25m or 4m, he's a wage they have to pay. He is clearly not in their plans for the first team.

He value isn't £4m now, and must me less than £1m given recent form. His future value isn't likely to be anywhere near £4m, especially now he is 28.

The worry for Oxford is, would he be someone we'd want in the Championship?

KR knows him well... So maybe.

Back
Top Bottom