General Jan transfer window

Sunderland would have to be Bonkers to release such a player to a promotion rival

I would imagine the only way that would happen is if a sizeable portion of his wages were taken on, which they were desperate to shed, so they could sign someone else.

A very familiar story for both player and club...it does come across generally that we can identify decent players but struggle to get them to put pen to paper certainly in the permanent category.This strikes me more so in the Jan windows which should be done away with as i feel just leads to managers getting lazy and seeking to fill squads with Loans rather than building our own squad.
Sometimes it's not just about numbers and I do get the feeling that yet again come the summer we are going to go through this all again whatever league we are in.
My understanding, for what it's worth, is that a loan deal was favouable to the club and MT in the summer, with the option of signing a permanent deal now. I'm not sure that the club could have done anything more, but I believe that MT wants to keep his options open until the summer but is still favouring a deal to remain. Bristol City would want a nominal fee to do a deal now, and we would also be paying a decent wage to a player for the next 30 months with no guarantees of success. So I do think that the club can look at using their resouces better to bring in another striker plus 1 or 2 full backs. We do not have an unlimited transfer budget and we need to use that wisely. I would think that a season long loan for Taylor is good business rather than a stick to beat the club with.

I know his name is brought up practically every transfer window, but Omar Bogle in on loan? Has only played 11 games for Cardiff in the Championship this year (never a full 90) and scored once, so not exactly integral to their team. Big physical player who could offer something different up front, and could, with all due respect to Mackie, ACTUALLY bully central defenders.

My understanding, for what it's worth, is that a loan deal was favouable to the club and MT in the summer, with the option of signing a permanent deal now. I'm not sure that the club could have done anything more, but I believe that MT wants to keep his options open until the summer but is still favouring a deal to remain. Bristol City would want a nominal fee to do a deal now, and we would also be paying a decent wage to a player for the next 30 months with no guarantees of success. So I do think that the club can look at using their resouces better to bring in another striker plus 1 or 2 full backs. We do not have an unlimited transfer budget and we need to use that wisely. I would think that a season long loan for Taylor is good business rather than a stick to beat the club with.

i know you think i am thick :) but why given what you've written would a 2.1/2 deal have been put on the table?

also am i right that potentially he could be recalled anytime.. to play for Bristol of course rather than suddenly find himself elsewhere within a few days?

for what it's worth i am not having a go at the club or MT, i am on record as hating the Loan system and just feel if we concentrated more and had ability to seal the permanent deals all this stuff would stop.

not so sure about that, his goals per game average is very good can you name a striker with similar stats available at the moment, if taylor goes on and scores say another 10 goals for us for the remainder of the season our chance may have gone....... who knows ay
For those of us aged 40+, Taylor reminds me of Paul Moody. Not in style of play but in ability at Championship vs L1. Moody was brilliant in the old Division 3 (now L1), but wasn't anywhere near as effective in what is now the Championship. I suspect Taylor may be a player who will consistently get 20+ goals in L1, but very few in the Championship. In which case, it makes sense to review in the Summer. If we are L1, sign him permanently, if we can. If we are Championship, we may well look elsewhere.

Jason Mccarthy - right back at Millwall is set to leave on loan. Lots of L1 interest. Could he be a target.

For those of us aged 40+, Taylor reminds me of Paul Moody. Not in style of play but in ability at Championship vs L1. Moody was brilliant in the old Division 3 (now L1), but wasn't anywhere near as effective in what is now the Championship. I suspect Taylor may be a player who will consistently get 20+ goals in L1, but very few in the Championship. In which case, it makes sense to review in the Summer. If we are L1, sign him permanently, if we can. If we are Championship, we may well look elsewhere.

sorry but again i do not get that, if we had ambition to reach the championship why would we offer a 2.1/2 year deal to a player who it might be thought the next level is 1 too high as indeed Mapp thought about Hilton?

sorry but again i do not get that, if we had ambition to reach the championship why would we offer a 2.1/2 year deal to a player who it might be thought the next level is 1 too high as indeed Mapp thought about Hilton?
KR does not see the next level as too high for MT. I suspect that he sees MT as very capable of playing and scoring in the Championship ( as did Charlton)
It sounds like Bristol C expected MT to come deep and play a very different type of game.

KR does not see the next level as too high for MT. I suspect that he sees MT as very capable of playing and scoring in the Championship ( as did Charlton)
It sounds like Bristol C expected MT to come deep and play a very different type of game.

But Scotchers has suggested we and MT will wait now until seasons end and surely with a 2.1/2 deal on the table MT would snap that up? so why would either or both have a sudden change of thought process which again exposes the loan system and our ability to seal deals we actually want.

But Scotchers has suggested we and MT will wait now until seasons end and surely with a 2.1/2 deal on the table MT would snap that up? so why would either or both have a sudden change of thought process which again exposes the loan system and our ability to seal deals we actually want.
Because as yet we don't know which division we will be in next year? Taylor might think he is good enough for the Championship and be happy to play there either with us or (if we don't go up) another club. Or he might want to guarantee higher wages if we are promoted? Obviously, nothing has changed since he came to us except the league position - I wonder if that's giving him pause for thought?

Last edited:
I reckon that if we go up MT will sign for us.
If we dont and Charlton ( who are selling Lyle Taylor) come in again he could go there.
He us keeping his options open depending on which Division we are in.

And of course, neither is true.

Because as yet we don't know which division we will be in next year? Taylor might think he is good enough for the Championship and be happy to play there either with us or (if we don't go up) another club. Or he might want to guarantee higher wages if we are promoted? Obviously, nothing has changed since he came to us except the league position - I wonder if that's giving him pause for thought?

in which case he would not have allowed a loan with a 2.1/2 year deal to sign now..he would just say season long loan (Bristol still can recall him) as in Jan you would know no more about next season as last summer.

in which case he would not have allowed a loan with a 2.1/2 year deal to sign now..he would just say season long loan (Bristol still can recall him) as in Jan you would know no more about next season as last summer.
?? Confused.
MT is out of contract in the summer.
He is waiting to see which Division we are in.
I just dont get what is confusing about MTs stance?

We don't know on what terms the (rumoured) deal has been offered to him. The loan was a good idea for him no matter what was on offer - he needed to play, and was pretty sure of being the top dog striker with us. Shop window and all that. Any offer of a deal later would have given him some extra security and he has the choice of what he wants to do in the summer - accept that or take an offer elsewhere.

There have been talks about a deal, MT said as much, but hes never seemed super keen. Certainly not the 2.5 year formality Scotchers suggested.

Back
Top Bottom