General Jan transfer window

F**king Brentford tho... Brentford. I really hate the rollercoaster of emotions following Oxford. If they wouldn't of lied through their teeth saying we dont need to sell it wouldn't be half as bad but I honestly feel like they've let us down. How can we trust a word they say from now on?

How have they lied? They have said all along that if a fee is offered that meets the club's valuation then it will be considered and if there is a release fee in Fosu's contract then they had no choice but to accept it.

The club will move past this I'm sure, we're still well stocked with talent (for the next day or so) and who knows...perhaps there will be a silver lining tomorrow.

That said, I'm genuinely sad that we wont get to see either player do some of the stuff they have done for us this season. Both players have had some exceptional moments where you just have to appreciate their ability and that you were there to see it, first hand.

Ah well.
Agree with this but Fosu's impact has lessened since teams have worked out how to play him, and he hasn't raised his game to counter this attention, so he will be missed but not as much as earlier this season.

This line about ‘how far we’ve come’ is a bit redundant imo. Yes we have come on a lot and 3m would have been unimaginable riches not that long ago, but the goalposts have changed - we ARE now a L1 club pushing for promotion. that fee simply does not represent Baptiste’s value in this market. Various pundits and stats people on this forum and elsewhere who have forgotten vastly more about football than most of us will ever know have stated that this guy is the real deal. It really doesn’t make any sense.

I take your point on the ‘we’re a financially struggling club’ but as has been pointed out a number of times already - we were told we did not NEED to sell. We’ve had more money from cup runs, stadium sell outs and TV money this year than we have in ages, and we were told they weren’t even budgeted for. I’m no conspiracy theorist, and I think many would agree the club is being generally run very well at the moment, but this just doesn’t make sense. Furthermore, Baptiste’s value in particular will literally only go up. He’s been getting better and better the more he’s beeen in the team, putting in match winning displays against Lincoln and Wimbledon just recently. Unless we drastically needed this amount RIGHT NOW, it seems astonishingly shortsighted and damaging to sell him for this price at this moment in time.

I also agree with a previous poster - KR mightsay that it’s more than 3m for the two, but many non partisan media outlets are saying it is. It’s in his interests to soften the blow to the fan base. I believe the reports.

We didn’t need to sell. But if the right offer came in we were always going to. That was surely just the clubs way of saying you need to meet our price, whatever it was they had in their head.

The Oxford Mail reporting that there were a number of bids for Baptiste, so I’d guess we’ve gone with the highest.

You mean that Brentford side currently pushing for promotion to the premier League and who will be playing in a lovely new stadium....yeah, why would a player go to them..
You know why a s**t club like Brentford are in the championship going for promotion to the premiership?They sell players for a proper price instead of peanuts.

We should never sell our best players to championship clubs because every time we do means less chance of us getting to that level.

Disagree entirely, he didn’t sound pissed off at all. Disappointed yes, but not pissed off.
Go and have a cup of tea and take a deep breath.....you’re working yourself up!

he asked the board to show we are a big club, that has not happened and he stated if another goes he would consider his position not the words of someone just disappointed imho

Let’s see what business we do tomorrow on the way of incomings, then is the time to judge, The owners would have given this the green light for sure, Robinson played it all up, as a club you don’t sell your best players mid season especially when you are going for promotion, lack of ambition if we don’t see some very good additions tomorrow, pivotal day tomorrow and season defining for sure!

It's very easy to spend other peoples money.

Fill the ground every match day then moan for a fourth stand, promotion to the Championship and to keep our best players.

Season on season progress, not s**t or bust to spend a season in the Championship and get spat out!
But how is selling your best players every single year going to lead to any kind of "progress"?

Burtons few years in the Champ set them up nicely for a few years.

Anyone else think Baptiste injury problems may be a reason we've sold now? Can we take the risk on losing out on 3-4 million if he has another season out or something...just a thought.

Yes, spot on. When people are making their 100 million valuation of baptise, they are ignoring his very blighted injury record for such a young player. He is higher risk for injury, which does devalue him unfortunately.
If w'ed signed him, I do wonder if there would be whines and moans we had signed a "crock"? :unsure:

Ok, I’ll take a deep breath after reading decent arguments both for and against tonight’s developments.

For those still in the positive camp: Do we still have enough in the squad to push for, at least, the play offs? If we dont bring in any players tomorrow have we still had a good transfer window, in keeping with the rhetoric coming out of the club in December?

Not looking for arguments, these are genuine questions.

I get that we’re a selling club but I would hope the model would include the facility to plough a percentage of the incomings into reinvesting and replenishing the squad. I think it was the floundering tonight by KR and NM when asked if any of the money would be spent on bringing in replacements. The excuse of there not being enough time doesnt really wash with me. With all the incoming money from the cup runs, would it not have been better to tell the players that theyre staying u til the summer? See where we are then and we’ll let you go if we’re still in league one but lets at least give it a damn good go for another four months at least? I also wonder how the likes of Brannigan and Dickie feel tonight. Do they still feel that they are at a club with genuine ambition to go for promotion?

Back
Top Bottom