General Getting to Reading by Train

McVicar

So am I right in thinking there is a new train station at Reading near/next to the ground? Will there be extra trains laid on I wonder (especially after the game, with a relatively late finish)??

Monks retreat on Friar st, just around from main station is normally used by away fans.

Reading Green Park

It is served by Reading-Basingstoke services only, not read/heard anything to suggest that additional/extra services are able to stop there at the moment so I don't think there will be any trains to link into Oxford without needing to go into Reading first. You'd hope they might have a few extra shuttles running into Reading to help move fans quicker.
Less than 10 minute journey to/from Reading main station, with one stop at Reading West.

Currently after the game next week, planned services in the Reading direction are:
22:32
22:56
23:17
23:41

In the Basingstoke direction:
22:12
22:33
22:59
23:43

No idea if it represents a better option to getting back to the main station versus bus/taxi

I'd expect we may be kept in after the game or at least policed in one direction.

From Reading main station, post match trains to Oxford are:
21:56 change at Didcot Parkway
22:48 direct
22:55 change at Didcot Parkway
23:30 direct

There definitely won't be any extra services above the timetabled ones. I expect that the 22.32 will be rammed and given the match is likely to finish around 10pm, it will probably be marginally quicker to get the bus. Depending on how quickly you can get to the bus stop post game of course.

Having said that, bus or train will connect onto the same Oxford bound train at Reading anyway (22.48) so it doesn't make much difference how you get into town.

The new train station is fantastic for fans based to the South though - Basingstoke, Bournemouth, Southampton, Pompey, etc...

According to google maps the new train station is a 28 minute walk from the ground? Which with the 8pm kick off, later finish times in football matches nowadays and TVP malarkey means you won't get back to Reading train station till 10.45pm. Although some google maps walking routes are a load of B*****s.

According to google maps the new train station is a 28 minute walk from the ground? Which with the 8pm kick off, later finish times in football matches nowadays and TVP malarkey means you won't get back to Reading train station till 10.45pm. Although some google maps walking routes are a load of B*****s.

It won't take 28 minutes to walk. 15-20 maximum. There's a massive short cut (the red line below) that Google maps doesn't realise exists.

1701697855680.png

Hmm making the 22:55 train might be tight however you get back to the station I think.

Considering getting the Reading football bus that picks up from Sandhurst as its only a mile from my house, if I am going undercover though I will have to borrow a Chelsea top to fit in on there.
And don’t forget your supply of tennis balls 🎾

I live in Tilehurst and have been similarly trying to work out the best way to get to the SCL for next Tuesday. Also suspect I’ll be going undercover on one of the football buses!

Other than finishing the Reading Half Marathon there, our lack of games against Reading the last two decades means I’ve not actually ever been there for football (despite largely living in Reading since I moved here for uni in 2004!). So excited for this one

I live in Tilehurst and have been similarly trying to work out the best way to get to the SCL for next Tuesday. Also suspect I’ll be going undercover on one of the football buses!

Other than finishing the Reading Half Marathon there, our lack of games against Reading the last two decades means I’ve not actually ever been there for football (despite largely living in Reading since I moved here for uni in 2004!). So excited for this one

I live 12 miles from the ground, yet if I get the train home there is a good chance I won't get home till gone midnight, its a Kassam like experience. Am probably going to try and train there then get on one of there buses home, not certain if you have to have a return ticket though which scuppers that plan.

Any idea how easy it is to park and where best to park to not get too stuck after the game?
Are there any pubs nearby?

Planning to go by train and drink in Reading Town centre not sure of the best way to the ground train or bus maybe taken out of are hands by TV police.

Weighing everything up with trains and the lack of parking if driving plus the 8pm kick-off time etc. I decided to get the LRC coach which leaves Grenoble Road at 5.15pm.

On coach number five and hopefully back at a reasonable time. Hopefully back via M4 and A34.

Not good then to say the least.

I know some away fans drink in Wokingham beforehand, which is a decent small town for drinking with a lot of pubs within walking distance of each other, but its the wrong side Of Reading for Oxfordshire based fans and with it being a night game you will get caught up in the work traffic. The town centre has plenty of pubs, as do a couple of other areas, all of which would be decent options for a Saturday game but the change of date has made the fixture a bit s**t for what you do around it, you might be best hitting a viillage pub on the way there and just parking near the ground after that, especially as TVP will be wanting to be seen to earn that xmas overtime.

As an example if I get the train there and back and TVP hold us back I wont get home until about 12.15am, I live 12 miles away and it used to take just under 20 minutes in the morning to pass that ground, driving back from the Kassam after a night game gets me in at 11.15pm despite the fact its 35 miles further away.

Back
Top Bottom