National News Gary Lineker intervenes

Words aren't really enough, I'd hardly call it a "blistering attack". He still took the money. They were all cowards, the players, managers and journalists.

I'm not sure many people actually care what Linekar tweets about. I certainly don't know anybody in real life who is talking about this or has a strong opinion about it either way. Seems like the press are just trying to whip up the Guardian crowd with the usual "UK are Nazis" nonsense and it's being eaten up.
You seem remarkably engaged with something you don’t seemingly don’t give a damn about - ironically referring to the man himself as an ‘intellectual colossus’ and being pretty disparaging in general.

Personally, I don’t think the press and sundry Tories area trying to ‘whip up the Guardian crowd’, but rather hoping for expressions of solidarity and indignation from its own base of supporters. The Penny Mordant thing yesterday was pathetic - unfunny, poorly delivered and frankly, embarrassing.

For what’s it worth, I‘ve always thought that Gary ‘watch out there’s a gag coming’ Lineker is a pretty ordinary and slightly stiff presenter. He doesn’t need the BBC and I think they are overestimating how much they need him. I can’t think that many people watch live football or MOTD because he presents it. On the other hand, he’s perfectly entitled to his views and we are perfectly entitled to ignore him if we wish. He’s not a news, current affairs or political journalist.

Regardless of his opinions on who is a nazi and who isn’t, he won’t be missed on MOTD.

Bland presenter, faux bantz with the pundits. Bring back Des Lynam!
Who did he call a Nazi? Must've missed that.

I wonder if Octogenarian Des could still cut it. Quite the swordsman back in his day by all accounts!

Apparently Ian Wright and Alan Shearer have backed him and won’t appear.

Heard Big Sam is being sent in 😀

One tweet from Lineker has more impact on impartially than the Chairman funding Johnson

What kind of warped world do we live in?

This Conservative Government will end free speech,they have already nullified our right to protest and strike, free speech is next believe me

I’m glad that bland Lineker is gone at last.
Useless waste of money

I’m glad that bland Lineker is gone at last.
Useless waste of money

Not following it that closely, are you? He’s not gone ‘at last’.

Also, one of the sharpest moves the odious Tories did was expose what BBC talent was paid to show what a supposed waste of money it is. Bearing in mind the Beeb has to compete with ITV, Sky etc - who haven’t had to reveal what their talent is paid - how can we compare whether we are getting value for money? What’s Jeff Stelling on at Sky? What do Ant and Def earn compared to Graham Norton and Claudia Winkleman? I suspect it’s similar and the BBC have to pay similar salaries to stay relevant. It’s another divide and rule tactic from an increasingly libertarian Tory party.

Regardless of his opinions on who is a nazi and who isn’t, he won’t be missed on MOTD.

Bland presenter, faux bantz with the pundits. Bring back Des Lynam!

Are we sure we want Des back? I mean it’s from 2013 but he was keen to hammer his colours to a purple and yellow mast.

If you're looking to get rid of people based on their personality and how much they waste, you'll have a field day in a couple of years when we bin off half of the Tory MP's.
I’m sure they’ll be gone in the fullness of time

Are we allowed to say shutting down criticism of the government like this feels a lot like 1930s Germany? Asking for a friend.
There’s plenty of room for criticism of this Tory government for so much. Lineker was irresponsible in his choice of language and the BBC supposedly neutral felt they had no choice to get shot of him

You seem remarkably engaged with something you don’t seemingly don’t give a damn about - ironically referring to the man himself as an ‘intellectual colossus’ and being pretty disparaging in general.

Personally, I don’t think the press and sundry Tories area trying to ‘whip up the Guardian crowd’, but rather hoping for expressions of solidarity and indignation from its own base of supporters. The Penny Mordant thing yesterday was pathetic - unfunny, poorly delivered and frankly, embarrassing.

For what’s it worth, I‘ve always thought that Gary ‘watch out there’s a gag coming’ Lineker is a pretty ordinary and slightly stiff presenter. He doesn’t need the BBC and I think they are overestimating how much they need him. I can’t think that many people watch live football or MOTD because he presents it. On the other hand, he’s perfectly entitled to his views and we are perfectly entitled to ignore him if we wish. He’s not a news, current affairs or political journalist.
I engage with all sorts on this forum, I find the reaction to this story interesting so I'm engaging with it.

I don't know what the Penny M thing was - in my own life I've actually heard nothing about this news story. Hell, even on this thread (you know the "political" threads on this board get tons of engagement from both hard right and firm left) nobody actually seems to be calling for Linekar to be banned from the TV or sacked or whatever. I think the closest is Peterdev calling for him to retire. Nobody actually seems to care much. Which is why I think this is a media storm over nothing, designed to get your lot angry. It seems to be working!

I grew up with Linekar and actually it would be nice to continue watching him present match of the day. He certainly shouldn't be stopped from doing it just because he's a millionaire lefty.

It's very interesting how similar this argument is to the argument from the right about "cancel culture".

The fact is his tweets are still published online on their original platform, and freely available to any British person by simply looking at his Twitter.

It's like I've gone through the looking glass and am watching the left have their "woke cancel culture is destroying the country" moment.

What concerns me most of all is that it is a football presenter that has brought this to the fore.

The Tories are doing their usual trick of dividing the nation to suit their own ends.

People should be concerned about the cost of living crisis,mortgages,old people dying in the cold,NHS waiting times and of course the National Debt which has increased massively because of Liz Truss.

The refugee problem is very small in comparison but they want to divert your attention towards this rather than all the other s**t which has been caused by them

It's very interesting how similar this argument is to the argument from the right about "cancel culture".

The fact is his tweets are still published online on their original platform, and freely available to any British person by simply looking at his Twitter.

It's like I've gone through the looking glass and am watching the left have their "woke cancel culture is destroying the country" moment.

I completely agree about the cancel culture. Idiots buying Harry Potter books and repackaging them to take out references to pro-nouns!! If you don't like something, don't buy it, don't read it, don't watch it or don't engage. But don't shut down their rights to present whatever they want, as long as they are doing so legally.

Had to Government not responded to GL's tweet then it would have gone away by now. The whole thing has been embarrassing and fuels the idea that this is about creating division rather than fixing the problem.

Quite impressed that Shearer has pulled out. He seems like a right Tory, not some raging Corbynista. (Anyway I’m not going to get involved in this no doubt annoying thread).

Back
Top Bottom