National News Gary Lineker intervenes

And at that point you're literally a whisker away from building a network of concentration camps across Poland.

And from there, it's a slippery slope.
OK then don't engage with the point being made just conflate concentration camps built in Poland in the 1940s with actions that took place in the early 1930s. With this shaky knowledge I can see why you're struggling to understand the point Lineker is making.

I understand you’re referring to the gas chambers, although of course many Polish and other nationalities just disappeared either to be killed later or sooner. Killings were certainly going on in the early thirties in many countries. Evidence of atrocities is still coming to light in many Eastern European countries.
Of course concentration camps were not that recent and date back to the late 1800s during the Boer war

OK then don't engage with the point being made just conflate concentration camps built in Poland in the 1940s with actions that took place in the early 1930s. With this shaky knowledge I can see why you're struggling to understand the point Lineker is making.
I am struggling - I'm not sure I will ever be able to compete with the intellectual colossus that is Gary Lineker 😔

But mass genocide wasn't happening in Germany (or Poland) in the 30s; that started in 1941.

I think Lineker is smart enough that he said 30s because he meant 30s. Probably would have more more accurate if he'd said early 30s because, yeah, the UK government hasn't moved onto the book-burning and establishment of concentration camps just yet (although some places in the US - like Florida - are getting there).
The way they have introduced bans on marches and speaking out against the establishment is frightening,they now want to silence anyone who opposes them.They know the Imigration policy will stir things up and unfortunately too many of our countrymen and women will fall for this when there are far more important issues on the horizon.
If the Conservatives stay in power this country will indeed go the way of Germany in the thirties.
Freedom of speech will be gone in ten years

If Lineker had been on the side of the government on all this, there’d be no froth at all from the right wing press.

Because he dares challenge the sinister slogans of Braverman, suddenly he’s ‘a woke BBC leftie’ who ‘should stick to football’.

It’s a complete double standard.

If Lineker had been on the side of the government on all this, there’d be no froth at all from the right wing press.

Because he dares challenge the sinister slogans of Braverman, suddenly he’s ‘a woke BBC leftie’ who ‘should stick to football’.

I would hazard a guess there would be some froth on here from a few.

Lineker isn't a BBC employee. He is freelance.

Since he is a private citizen (and not involved in the BBC political reporting anyway) I can't see why on earth he shouldn't express his views. If we go down the road that anyone involved in the media is not allowed to say what they think (whether I agree with what they say or not) then we are on a very slippery slope. You could also say that Clarkson (for example) is just a motoring journalist and so shouldn't be allowed the express the views that he has for money...

I think that case is still ongoing. HMRC chasing nearly £5 mill in potential tax avoidance.

All this stick Lineker gets about being a BBC employee and yet the Chairman gives B***s J*****n a loan of £800,000 and not a peep from the Daily Mail and Express

All this stick Lineker gets about being a BBC employee and yet the Chairman gives B***s J*****n a loan of £800,000 and not a peep from the Daily Mail and Express
Not a peep, except they both reported it.

This is exactly it.
You can also throw in Andrew Neil’s tenure as an actual political correspondent for the BBC, even though he was the editor of the very opinionated Spectator magazine! But none of the people who have spoken out at Gary’s tweet ever mention it? 🤔

Gary Linker doesn’t work for the political arm of the BBC. So should be free to say whatever he wants off air (within the realms of decency of course)

Not a peep, except they both reported it.

As I recall it wasn’t plastered all over their front pages though

As I recall it wasn’t plastered all over their front pages though
Are you regularly looking at the front pages of the Express and the Mail? I'm surprised you can remember what's plastered on their front pages considering you dislike them so much.

Are you regularly looking at the front pages of the Express and the Mail? I'm surprised you can remember what's plastered on their front pages considering you dislike them so much.
Sometimes it's good to have a laugh at the froth that the gullible swallow ;)

They are both facist rags, have never bought either of them in my life.Ironically on this subject it was the Mail who promoted Mosley and the Brown Shirts in the thirties and they were against refugees coming from Germany. Nothing changes

But the only reason I see them is the BBC and Sky have a todays front page feature.It’s quite amusing in some respects how they change opinion from day to day and print so many lies

Fuckers

This is exactly it.
You can also throw in Andrew Neil’s tenure as an actual political correspondent for the BBC, even though he was the editor of the very opinionated Spectator magazine! But none of the people who have spoken out at Gary’s tweet ever mention it? 🤔

Gary Linker doesn’t work for the political arm of the BBC. So should be free to say whatever he wants off air (within the realms of decency of course)

Probably because (as far as I’m aware) Andrew Neil isn’t or never has been the editor of The Spectator, Neil is the Chairman, quite a distinction between the two roles.

Neil was however previously the Editor of The European. But none of the people who have spoken out at Lineker’s tweet ever. mention it?🤔

They are both facist rags, have never bought either of them in my life.Ironically on this subject it was the Mail who promoted Mosley and the Brown Shirts in the thirties and they were against refugees coming from Germany. Nothing changes

But the only reason I see them is the BBC and Sky have a todays front page feature.It’s quite amusing in some respects how they change opinion from day to day and print so many lies

Fuckers
You'd probably like the comedy of Nish Kumar. Check him out.

Probably because (as far as I’m aware) Andrew Neil isn’t or never has been the editor of The Spectator, Neil is the Chairman, quite a distinction between the two roles.

Neil was however previously the Editor of The European. But none of the people who have spoken out at Lineker’s tweet ever. mention it?🤔
He should not have been been involved with any political magazine whist working for the political arm of the BBC.
Although I can’t find a reference to him working for The European, I would be interested to know more about that.

Whist hosting political shows on the BBC, Neil also Tweeted his support for Brexit on a number of occasions, with no outrage or consequences from the press or BBC.

As we’re discussing the BBC. For balance, I would be unhappy to see something similar to Gary Linker’s tweet come from the personal tweeter account of a BBC political journalists.
They have a platform to grill politicians. That’s where their thorough questioning of policies should be held.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom