National News Gary Lineker intervenes

Is it only old people who listen to Oxford United commentary on Rad Ox?
I've worked in BBC Local Radio, including a short stint at RadOx so I feel qualified to answer. The target audience for pretty much every BBC local radio station is 55+. The Rajar figures and data BBC has has shown that for a very long time now younger people have absolutely no interest in the BBC local output, and an active change to target those who do was made well over a decade ago now.

There is a slight outlier when it comes to sports broadcasting, but it's fairly negligible through actual FM broadcast, especially on RadOx. It's not possible to track that data through iFollow, however, so it's possible there's a host of young people listening on there, but I'd wager most can work a VPN and are watching the game rather than just listening.

It's a similar reason why so many non-bbc local stations have been hoovered up and replaced with mostly national broadcasts of Heart and Capital; Heart for your 35+ and Capital for your 18-35 year olds. Both stations are owned by the same parent company, Global, who are slowly wiping out the local radio business across the country in favour of singular local shows and travel info, which isn't even provided by the stations themselves but an independent company.

"Young people" tend to gravitate more to heavy music and pop culture rather than local news and views.

I've worked in BBC Local Radio, including a short stint at RadOx so I feel qualified to answer. The target audience for pretty much every BBC local radio station is 55+. The Rajar figures and data BBC has has shown that for a very long time now younger people have absolutely no interest in the BBC local output, and an active change to target those who do was made well over a decade ago now.

There is a slight outlier when it comes to sports broadcasting, but it's fairly negligible through actual FM broadcast, especially on RadOx. It's not possible to track that data through iFollow, however, so it's possible there's a host of young people listening on there, but I'd wager most can work a VPN and are watching the game rather than just listening.

It's a similar reason why so many non-bbc local stations have been hoovered up and replaced with mostly national broadcasts of Heart and Capital; Heart for your 35+ and Capital for your 18-35 year olds. Both stations are owned by the same parent company, Global, who are slowly wiping out the local radio business across the country in favour of singular local shows and travel info, which isn't even provided by the stations themselves but an independent company.

"Young people" tend to gravitate more to heavy music and pop culture rather than local news and views.
I have radox on when Im driving about in the shire - handy traffic reports, which if you're forewarned of delays or incidents you can take alternative routes

and also for radox live sport/oufc coverage- 95.2 FM ( which isn't embargoed , unlike digital radio , at 3pm on a Saturday- and has a seriously wider than would be expected broadcast range!)

Back
Top Bottom