National News Gary Lineker intervenes

BBC are totally in the wrong here, and fair play to his colleagues for their solidarity.

Separately, I'm suprised Lineker is (was?) still hosting it at all. Over a £1million salary largely just for MOTD, which I imagine would not see a significant reduction in viewers with a different host. Does seem like a bit of a waste of money

Separately, I'm suprised Lineker is (was?) still hosting it at all. Over a £1million salary largely just for MOTD, which I imagine would not see a significant reduction in viewers with a different host. Does seem like a bit of a waste of money

Would anyone stop watching if they just cut from the post-match interviews of one game straight to the highlights of the next? Who actually watches MOTD for the mediocre punditry?

Anyway, nice work from Braverman and the Beeb turning a single Lineker tweet into a massive free speech furore.
Did the government have some other bad news that they wanted to bury today?

Will be better without egos sorry presenter and pundits. The best pundits are on EFL on ITV, I don’t mind listening to them.
The alternative would have been, Mark Chapman, Alex Scott, Danny Murphy or someone else entirely useless.

Actually might tune in tomorrow!

Whilst I agree that Gary Lineker should be allowed to voice his opinion, let's not forget that in the last three years, the very same government have been likened to the Nazis for encouraging people to report their neighbours for going for two walks a day and for trying to implement "jabs4jobs" in the NHS.

The media were very happy to lecture people for doing that. Why is it so different this time around?

It’s actually cringey how all the presenters who have NOT been asked to cover, have said they would NOT do the show.

Right.

1. Lineker did not call anyone a Nazi, or say the current government were Nazis, or say this current migrant situation is as bad as the Holocaust. He said that the government's new Illegal Migration Bill was an "immeasurably cruel policy directed at the most vulnerable people in language that is not dissimilar to that used by Germany in the 30s". Language not dissimilar. That’s it. That’s not calling anyone a Nazi!

2. Multiple similar BBC figures have made political comments (Alan Sugar, Jeremy Clarkson) and not been taken off air. Why the double standard?

3. I have no idea why they pay Gary Lineker so much to present MOTD. He barely does anything, and surely no-one watches it to see him - they watch it to see the football highlights?! You could just give it each week to someone different who wants work experience in presenting and it would be fine. I personally watch it on BBC iPlayer catch-up and fast forward through the punditry. If you were running it as a business the first thing you’d do is get rid of him, and I can’t imagine that viewership would drop even a bit…

Strange the BBC didn't mind Lineker making political statements when it was against Qatar in the BBC coverage when they were 'boycotting' the opening ceremony of the World Cup....government influenced hypocrisy at its worst.

Strange the BBC didn't mind Lineker making political statements when it was against Qatar in the BBC coverage when they were 'boycotting' the opening ceremony of the World Cup....government influenced hypocrisy at its worst.
Yet he still travelled over to Qatar to present the countries show piece….

The BBC is dying.

It’s sad to see as it’s been a big part of my and many other peoples lives.
It’s always been there. For many years it was the place to go for their news.

I used to believe it was the BBC that set the standards and kept the commercial stations ‘honest’ but not anyone.
Times have moved on, things have changed (some good, some not so good)

As a public funded broadcaster I perfectly understand why it feels the need to try and attract a younger audience, and be inclusive, its a noble aim, but it can’t be in today’s world. I suspect the reality is that its core audience is 50/60+ year olds, a good number of those I’d class as conservative with a small c.

If the BBC became a subscription channel, how many people in their 20s/30s would subscribe to it? how many in their 50/60s+ would subscribe to it in comparison? Yet, I get the impression rightly or wrongly the BBC continues its desperate attempt to attract the younger audience and by doing so is at times alienating its older audience, it’s a dangerous game. I may be wrong but that’s the impression I get.

The older generation are gradually losing trust in the BBC, they are losing trust in its ability to be impartial, it’s inevitable with the onslaught of social media and celebrity presenters. Again just my opinion and how I view it.

The way things are heading the BBC will inevitably be funded by advertising or become a subscription channel. The public will then choose what they wish to pay to watch for their news and entertainment. Who would subscribe to it as it currently stands?

In its current format as a public funded organisation the BBC is slowly dying.

I engage with all sorts on this forum, I find the reaction to this story interesting so I'm engaging with it.

I don't know what the Penny M thing was - in my own life I've actually heard nothing about this news story. Hell, even on this thread (you know the "political" threads on this board get tons of engagement from both hard right and firm left) nobody actually seems to be calling for Linekar to be banned from the TV or sacked or whatever. I think the closest is Peterdev calling for him to retire. Nobody actually seems to care much. Which is why I think this is a media storm over nothing, designed to get your lot angry. It seems to be working!

I grew up with Linekar and actually it would be nice to continue watching him present match of the day. He certainly shouldn't be stopped from doing it just because he's a millionaire lefty.
What ‘anger’?

I wouldn’t have expected anything less than your further trolling attempts - ‘your lot’ and ‘milionaire lefty’. Lazy. Is that really the best you have?

• React
Reactions: QR
Back
Top Bottom