National News Gary Lineker intervenes

He should not have been been involved with any political magazine whist working for the political arm of the BBC.
Although I can’t find a reference to him working for The European, I would be interested to know more about that.

Whist hosting political shows on the BBC, Neil also Tweeted his support for Brexit on a number of occasions, with no outrage or consequences from the press or BBC.

As we’re discussing the BBC. For balance, I would be unhappy to see something similar to Gary Linker’s tweet come from the personal tweeter account of a BBC political journalists.
They have a platform to grill politicians. That’s where their thorough questioning of policies should be held.

I don’t normally bother with the political threads on YF anymore, but just felt the inaccuracies about Andrew Neil needed to be corrected.

However I would be interested if you would show me the tweets where Neil supported Brexit.

They are both facist rags, have never bought either of them in my life.Ironically on this subject it was the Mail who promoted Mosley and the Brown Shirts in the thirties and they were against refugees coming from Germany. Nothing changes

But the only reason I see them is the BBC and Sky have a todays front page feature.It’s quite amusing in some respects how they change opinion from day to day and print so many lies

Fuckers
Pedant alert. Pretty sure it was Blackshirts but could be wrong.

I'm looking forward to, although not holding my breath for, the BBC Fact check on this comparing words and phrases uses in Germany in the 1930s with words and phrases used by this government. If it demonstrates a strong correlation showing Lineker tweet is purely factual should he be criticised for stating facts?

It's called freedom of speech. Get over it.

We agree.

The fact the person espousing their views is a liberal, lefty, "tax efficient" multi-millionaire, jug eared k-nob who could buy a few houses to help has now`t to do with it. :ROFLMAO:

• Sad
Reactions: QR
We agree.

The fact the person espousing their views is a liberal, lefty, "tax efficient" multi-millionaire, jug eared k-nob who could buy a few houses to help has now`t to do with it. :ROFLMAO:
You forgot "scored scandalous goal against us at Goodison in 1985, last minute, running the length of the pitch for 2-0 after Oxford players had all stopped due to Everton centre-half committing a blatant handball in the penalty area and the ref for some reason deciding to play on, robbing us of a chance at 1-1".

I'd urge the BBC to sack him just for that. Long memory me? Nah....

You forgot "scored scandalous goal against us at Goodison in 1985, last minute, running the length of the pitch for 2-0 after Oxford players had all stopped due to Everton centre-half committing a blatant handball in the penalty area and the ref for some reason deciding to play on, robbing us of a chance at 1-1".

I'd urge the BBC to sack him just for that. Long memory me? Nah....

There is that too....... but "he was just doing his job"............. "just following orders"......... oooppssssss. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

All this stick Lineker gets about being a BBC employee and yet the Chairman gives B***s J*****n a loan of £800,000 and not a peep from the Daily Mail and Express
I think he 'facilitated' the loan from a 3rd party, rather than made it himself. He has, however, made large donations to the Tory party over the years, which of course had nothing to do with him getting the BBC job.

There is that too....... but "he was just doing his job"............. "just following orders"......... oooppssssss. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
I can tell that last comment was very funny by the fact it was accompanied by not one, but two emojis.

I would imagine he is stepping back as a negotiating tactic, rather than getting pushed. Still, the licence fee payer would be making a pretty saving if he did bin it off entirely.

If only he was willing to take such a stand on the issues in Qatar, which could in many ways be compared with authoritarian regimes (because it is one)...

I would imagine he is stepping back as a negotiating tactic, rather than getting pushed. Still, the licence fee payer would be making a pretty saving if he did bin it off entirely.

If only he was willing to take such a stand on the issues in Qatar, which could in many ways be compared with authoritarian regimes (because it is one)...
He opened with quite a blistering attack on human rights in Qatar, as far as I can remember.

I think the flack he is getting for this is disgraceful. Other presenters on the BBC (Notably renowned moron alan sugar) are regularly very political in their tweets etc. and no one cares about impartiality. The idea that a man can't show his compassion to others without being labelled a problem shows how authoritarian we ourselves have gotten in the last few decades.

No more match of the day for him
I suspect the BBC is opening a massive can of worms given the tweet I've seen of a part time BBC presenter tweeting support for the Tories where no similar action has been taken. I wouldn't be surprised if many more examples of presentor giving political support/criticism now follow.

He opened with quite a blistering attack on human rights in Qatar, as far as I can remember.

I think the flack he is getting for this is disgraceful. Other presenters on the BBC (Notably renowned moron alan sugar) are regularly very political in their tweets etc. and no one cares about impartiality. The idea that a man can't show his compassion to others without being labelled a problem shows how authoritarian we ourselves have gotten in the last few decades.
Words aren't really enough, I'd hardly call it a "blistering attack". He still took the money. They were all cowards, the players, managers and journalists.

I'm not sure many people actually care what Linekar tweets about. I certainly don't know anybody in real life who is talking about this or has a strong opinion about it either way. Seems like the press are just trying to whip up the Guardian crowd with the usual "UK are Nazis" nonsense and it's being eaten up.

Words aren't really enough, I'd hardly call it a "blistering attack". He still took the money. They were all cowards, the players, managers and journalists.

I'm not sure many people actually care what Linekar tweets about. I certainly don't know anybody in real life who is talking about this or has a strong opinion about it either way. Seems like the press are just trying to whip up the Guardian crowd with the usual "UK are Nazis" nonsense and it's being eaten up.
You say words aren't enough, but in the message I replied to you said "If only he was willing to take such a stand on the issues in Qatar,"

He has taken exactly such a stand now as he did then, using his platform to condemn something he views as unethical and wrong.

So you can believe words aren't enough, but it does sort of invalidate what you tried to beat him with moments ago.

And I think it's a vast oversimplification to say there's any "UK are Nazis" talk going on or that that's what people are saying, but rather people are saying saying that this particular treatment of refugees coupled with the vile rhetoric from the government is similar in tone.

Regardless of his opinions on who is a nazi and who isn’t, he won’t be missed on MOTD.

Bland presenter, faux bantz with the pundits. Bring back Des Lynam!

You say words aren't enough, but in the message I replied to you said "If only he was willing to take such a stand on the issues in Qatar,"

He has taken exactly such a stand now as he did then, using his platform to condemn something he views as unethical and wrong.

So you can believe words aren't enough, but it does sort of invalidate what you tried to beat him with moments ago.

And I think it's a vast oversimplification to say there's any "UK are Nazis" talk going on or that that's what people are saying, but rather people are saying saying that this particular treatment of refugees coupled with the vile rhetoric from the government is similar in tone.
The stand I believe he has taken here is stepping back from MOTD. Not tweeting.

Back
Top Bottom