Frank Lampard

Frank Lampard

• Total voters
I'm starting to warm towards Frank. If he gets those players giving a hundred percent instead of what they've shown recently then we won't be too worried about his non managerial experience.

If as a fan base, we’re saying an average League One club shouldn’t give Lampard a chance because of his lack of managerial experience, who should then? Are we saying he should be fast-tracked to the Premiership because that’s where he spent his playing days?

Giggs has (rightly in my opinion) been criticised for assuming he deserves a shot at the big time because that’s the only level he played at. Yet somehow he’s landed himself a national role because of his reputation as a player and his nationality. If Lampard is interested, fair play to him for putting his neck on the line and making his way down the ladder.

Since we left the Manor we have had pretty much every type of manager across the spectrum from complete newbie to proven at the level to experienced journeyman. There have been two successes in close to two decades - Wilder and Appleton. Neither one came with an significant success or CV behind them. So I don’t understand the criticism of a young English manager potentially looking to forge his managerial career in the lower leagues.

Really hope this rumour has legs, I am strangely aroused by the prospect of Lampy as manager for many of the reasons already stated in this thread.

We bang on about foreign managers taking roles in UK football and our own talent base not getting a chance.

You have to start somewhere and so it means a brave chairman taking a punt on a young inexperienced manager.

In Lampy you get intelligence, commitment, passion and a wealth of experience/knowledge of the game as a player and a leader.

Regardless of his lack of management credentials, that experience has to count for something.

Add to that his wealth of contacts and of course the managerial experience that he can tap into from others.. boy oh boy this has to be worth the gamble.

I am also pretty confident that with the exception of a few rumbles this appointment will be received with enthusiasm and excitement, which is exactly what we need to re-unite behind the mighty yellows.

Please bring this home DE.

Thing is if he comes here, and he's not getting the results by the end of Feb, would we get on his back?

Really hope this rumour has legs, I am strangely aroused by the prospect of Lampy as manager for many of the reasons already stated in this thread.

We bang on about foreign managers taking roles in UK football and our own talent base not getting a chance.

You have to start somewhere and so it means a brave chairman taking a punt on a young inexperienced manager.

In Lampy you get intelligence, commitment, passion and a wealth of experience/knowledge of the game as a player and a leader.

Regardless of his lack of management credentials, that experience has to count for something.

Add to that his wealth of contacts and of course the managerial experience that he can tap into from others.. boy oh boy this has to be worth the gamble.

I am also pretty confident that with the exception of a few rumbles this appointment will be received with enthusiasm and excitement, which is exactly what we need to re-unite behind the mighty yellows.

Assuming you're on a wind up. It'll be a crap appointment for OUFC. We need experience!

Thing is if he comes here, and he's not getting the results by the end of Feb, would we get on his back?

That’s the risk of taking a managerial role at any level in any country.

Football is fickle and lacks the luxury of patience.

As long as we do enough to remain safe he would be fine I would hope.

I’m so put off by the mental image of ur arousal that I couldn’t finish reading ur post

Yes, definitely. The sentiment would be that it was a bad appointment and let me be the first to say "Lampard out!" ?

I bet he walks straight into the interview and says the job is made for him, if he’s being frank

I dont think Frank would be so naive to realise the level of players and facilities he would be working with. If he wants it then fair play to him for giving it a go, i think he probably has more to lose than us. Failure with us will blight his career for the next 20 years, he might not even be given another chance in management. We will always get a new man and our fortunes will change

I bet he walks straight into the interview and says the job is made for him, if he’s being frank

And I can imagine him saying in his interview “ uncle Harry has said I can call for advice anytime, as long as I get my f*****g 1/4 million back “?

And I can imagine him saying in his interview “ uncle Harry has said I can call for advice anytime, as long as I get my f*****g 1/4 million back “[emoji35]

Weirdly harry was apparently in the blackbird this week

If Lampard is indeed appointed, it would be for one purpose only - and that is to get us promoted to the Championship. There is no other conceivable reason for DE to be after him, or for him to accept it.

Eales will have had applications from 50+ managers since Saturday, and none of them will require as much assurances as Lampard.

Even if you think it's a bad idea, it signals big intentions. And that's why it's very exciting if it does happen, and why I won't believe it till I see it.

Wouldn't get on his back but if it comes to the end of the season and we've spent the money to sack Pep, bring in someone like Lampard, and give him the backing he'd presumably want, only to end up mid table anyway, I think I'd start to wonder what the point of switching managers in mid-season was.

Simon Grayson - four promotions from league one. That's the man we need in charge of this football club. Lampard hasn't got a scooby about league one.

Four promotions - exactly the reason why we won't get Grayson. He's ticked that box and has no reason to drop down again. He also achieved three of those promotions with Leeds, Preston and Huddersfield. Without discrediting the achievement, it was hardly against the odds to get those clubs out of the division.

As brave as it was to dismiss Clotet, I think it would be more so to appoint Lampard.

Apart from his lack of experience, he is used to being surrounded by a completely different level of facilities, players and staff than he will find at Oxford. You could buy the squad, club and stadium for less than Chelsea would spend on a fairly ordinary midfielder. 'Culture shock' might be putting it mildly!

But...

If he were to come here, you can only suppose he has been offered a better deal than 'the job's yours - there's no money for better players, half the best we ones we do have are crocked and the owner has lost interest a bit, so the crowd are a bit grumpy. Make the best of that lot!'.

It would only be a culture shock if he assumed OUFC was, in the respects you list , the same. Give the guy some credit. Don't you think for one moment he has researched the situation? It's hardly like he is going to walk through the door and say out loud ' Oh s**t I thought the team played in a 40,000 capacity stadium and were only points off the Championship play offs ' Culture shock No.

Back
Top Bottom