Fan's View 19/20 - Portsmouth Away

From where I was sitting there was a time when it was all quiet then a small group starting singing "yellows". Someone yelled at them to stop and they did. As I said earlier I have now added an additional paragraph to put the record straight.

Some of our fans were singing outside the ground (so unaware as to what was going on, but then I could say the same as those in the ground!) during the pre non approved 5-6mins of silence which I think was caused by Pompey fans booing the Oxford fans as I believe they misunderstood the proceedings/announcer comment when he said ‘shortly’ we will have a minutes silence etc, but no one seemed to understand when the minute was supposed to have commenced or finished!

If the announcer hadn’t introduced the teams when the came onto the pitch I think we’d still be in silence now!!

Oh, and you probably had the benefit of the video footage on the big screen which we obviously couldn’t see either.

Last edited:
Just to confirm the only singing I heard during the silence was from Oxford fans outside of the ground who wouldn’t have known what was going on. As everyone else has said there was about 2 and half minutes silence and then people started talking asking what the hell was going on! The announcer then said there would be the reading, the playing of the last post and then a minutes silence beginning and ending on the refs whistle - and he never blew it!

Some of our fans were singing outside the ground (so aware as to what was going on, but then I could say the same as those in the ground!) during the pre non approved 5-6mins of silence which I think was caused by Pompey fans booing the Oxford fans as I believe they misunderstood the proceedings/announcer comment when he said ‘shortly’ we will have a minutes silence etc, but no one seemed to understand when the minute was supposed to have commenced or finished!

if the announcer hadn’t introduced the teams when the game onto the pitch I think we’d still be in silence now!!

Oh, and you probably had the benefit of the video footage on the big screen which we obviously couldn’t see either.
Yes I did. And had already updated the FV accordingly. (Just had to check I'd hit the right button. And I had)

A good read as ever Paul, I always enjoy reading Fans View as I often concur with how you see the game so rely on your reports for an accurate summary of away games that I don't get to. I was at Pompey on Saturday and it was a pleasure to meet you at the Walking Football in the morning and be able to put a face to the name. Like you I was not convinced by the idea of walking football but was nagged by a mate for weeks to give it a go as he said I would love it. Eventually I turned up for a session with Oxford United on a sunny Saturday morning in the summer to give it a try and my mate was right....I loved it and I am now a regular Saturday player. I would encourage any over 50 year old who is maybe intrigued by the idea to find their nearest club and go along just once, you will be hooked!

Thanks Thin Bloke. I have already commented on the remembrance debacle in the match day thread but I feel it important to acknowledge the home teams culpability and your subsequent re-write. As a Veteran myself I found the disorganised and seemingly haphazard approach to the occasion cringeworthy in the extreme. Poor show, the Veterans deserve much much better...

That said, I still have difficulty with that small group of our travelling "fans" who seem hell bent on arriving late, totally p*ssed up and without any consideration for anyone else. Shame, really, It is one of the reasons (the other being when we were playing badly) that I have limited my away days so far. Our vastly improved performances over the last couple of months have tempted me back. Pompey was always going to be a bit of a tester as I had walked out before the end of our last two painful visits to Fratton Park.

It's Interesting that your experience in the family stand at Pompey mirrors my one foray into the Kashstads old SSL family area, back in the day. The kids were probably the most intimidating group to be sat amongst. Their language was extremely fruity there too! But then, I am an Old Git to whom today's behavioural standards are difficult to swallow anyway!

I hope you continue to get enjoyment from both the team performances and yourt Walking Football. Thanks again for your entertaining articles. Keep em coming! ??

Back
Top Bottom